I have a Husky 142 in my trunk, should i bring it back?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesgage

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well after buying a husky 142 for extremely light trimming and yard work i think that after reading this site i made a mistake. Should i return it? (i got it for $208) or keep it. If i return it i grab a cs205 echo from HD for 200 bucks or i can buy a stihl that you guys all praise. What should i do? Where can i find a stihl in west michigan quickly?

I'd keep it. I'm sure the saw will be good for the light work and if you need a bigger saw, then you need a bigger saw. A lot of people own more than one saw.

So tough, my local hardware has the stihl 170 for 159.99 so i can save 35 bucks, but it has a shorter bar and is much less powerful right? The same with the echo?

EDIT:

Also a guy is selling a husky 272 with a 20" bar for 200 bucks but i cant find any info on the 272's.

There is a stihl 036 pro used 20" bar for 300 but that is WAY more thatn i started out wanting to spend.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're thinking too hard.

Ask yourself a simple question: is this saw an appropriate match for the use that you're going to put it to? If your goal is a saw to use around the house to trim up branches, remove an occasional shrub, cut up some small trees, then you're fine. If it is to run a firewood business, to use as a climbing saw, or to fell four-foot diameter trees, then it is not the right saw for the job.

The 142 will be fine for light trimming, yard work, etc. Without knowing more about your intended use of the saw - what you're cutting, how often, etc - it is difficult to offer much more in the way of useful advice. As for the costs differential between Stihl/Echo/Husky, I don't see it as an issue - what's thirty-five bucks?

Look at it this way: you have this saw already, it will work for light use, so if the saw and its intended use match up then keep it and use it.

charlesgage said:
EDIT:

Also a guy is selling a husky 272 with a 20" bar for 200 bucks but i cant find any info on the 272's.

There is a stihl 036 pro used 20" bar for 300 but that is WAY more thatn i started out wanting to spend.

Whoa, STOP!

What are you actually intending to use the saw for? A 272 is not a 142 is not a Stihl 036 pro is not a MS170. Each has its purpose. What's yours?

Computeruser - thanks for the good info. I am using it for trimming brush and branches. Probably no more than 4" diameter. Maybe a little firewood use (mostly from fallen trees) at my boss's lot. I just want a small quality saw. I think that the stihl 170 is the one for me, though less powerful than the husky in my trunk. The general consensus is that it will be more reliable and a bit cheaper. Is this a good assessment?

I still think that the 142 should be fine for your purposes. So long as you stay within the limits of the saw and keep your chain sharp, it will do you fine. I would not want to use a 170 for anything other than your small branch/brush purposes, as I think it is just a bit too small. I think that the 2.2hp versus 1.75hp issue should be resolved in favor of the Husky's 2.2hp if you are doing firewood cutting. For brush and twigs and shrubs only, the 1.75hp of the MS170 would be fine. But if you are content with it and that's what you want, then by all means get it.

Though you don't mention it, I think I will: consider a top-handle Echo. When I think of small quality saw, I think of these guys. They are absolutely bulletproof, they're easy to clean and care for, and they're REALLY light (even lighter than the 170). They're a personal favorite for brush and light cutting. I find mine to be the saw that I pick up the most, even for larger stuff around the house. You can also get them with a conventional rear handle, too, if you prefer that design.

At the end of the day, any of these saws should meet your needs, from my understanding of what your needs are. So pick one and start cutting!

charlesgage said:
The general consensus is that it will be more reliable and a bit cheaper. Is this a good assessment?

Some people are blinded by brand. However, from what I've read on this board, most of the knowledgable folks put Stihl & Husky pretty much head to head for equivalent saws. Everybody has their favorite, of course, but the more intelligent folks seem to agree there's not that much difference.

So the real question is not, "Stihl vs. Husky?", the real question is, "Which saw does what you need?"

BTW, a consensus is a general agreement of opinion, so it's not "general consensus", it's just "consensus". Discharge the General! :cool:

For your intended use, IMO, the 142 should be fine for you. I see no need for a 272 just to cut small stuff, or limb with, thats a 70+ cc saw, and is basically overkill for cutting small stuff with.
the MS170, well, if you want it, thats up to you, and if you're happier with the Stihl, go for it, if not, keep what you've got.

My friend at work has a 141 he bought for his son ,12 yrs old.He has already worn out one chain,has probably cut 2-3 cords with out any problems.He drilled out two small holes in front of the muffler and it rips for a little saw.Sounds like it could be a good saw for your intended use .Dont forget PPE!

I have a model 41 Husky that is the predecessor of the 141 and 142 and that saw has cut way bigger trees than most people would have tried. It was the users ignorance, me, but if the bar would fit half way through the tree I would cut it. And that saw never whined about it.

I would keep the 142 if the alterative is the MS170 - the extra power will be useful sooner or later.

However, the 142 has just been downrated from 2.6 to 2.2 hp :cry: , so I would try to find one of the older ones - or even a 141.....

Keep the husky 142 I just do not see the point in returning it for a stihl or any other brand of similar size you have yourself a very good saw right there so why take it back if you do take it back for something else you may end up kicking yourself for it later on.

I have am ms 170 and it works really well. THe saw really rips with the 14 inch bar and chain. I had a husky 141 and that thing spent more time in the shop then it did out cutting. When I first got it the muffler came loose when I was cutting and fell off and burned the top cover. I put it back on but no matter how much I thightend it it would just work its way loose. I would really recomand the ms 170 or ms 180.

SawTroll said:
I would keep the 142 if the alterative is the MS170 - the extra power will be useful sooner or later.

However, the 142 has just been downrated from 2.6 to 2.2 hp :cry: , so I would try to find one of the older ones - or even a 141.....

If it was downrated, it may be due to the muffler now being more restrictive to meet EPA regulations. Easy fix, modify the muffler.

Top handle saws are meant for working arborists...stick with the 142.

First off, let me say thanks for all of your advice. The people on this forum have been very welcoming and helpful! I may have to stick around and learn a thing or two.

Secondly, i ended up going a different direction. I returned the 142 for three reasons:
-no adjustable carb/idle
-no dealer support from lowe's
-i think it's really a poulan (though there is some debate on this)

I went to two of my local hardware stores. I had it down to the echo 305 (31 cc), the dolmar (33cc), the stihl 170 (31cc), and the stihl ms210 (35cc). I eliminated the echo because it had low power for the price. The guy actually reccomended a poulan for me because i would use it so little, but i tend to prefer quality and adjustability.

I bought the stihl 210 because it has 2.0 HP (almost the same as the husky 142) and it was really adjustable (idle, and carb). You guys also seem to really like them. I almost bought the dolmar, but it wasn't as adjustable and too heavy for me (i have a bad right wrist). I got it for 250 out the door ( they knowcked off tax for me) and i bought it from a store that sold the entire stihl line and has serviced them for years. I think i got a good price on a high quality saw, and also i have the local dealer to take care of me if something goes wrong. I feel i did the right thing, it was only 30 dollars more. Opinions?

PS - I got the 3/8" chain not the picco.

rbtree said:
If it was downrated, it may be due to the muffler now being more restrictive to meet EPA regulations. Easy fix, modify the muffler.

Top handle saws are meant for working arborists...stick with the 142.
Agreed, both statements that is.

No reason to use the more dangerous top-handle saw if you don't need to!

charlesgage said:
I bought the stihl 210 .....
.......PS - I got the 3/8 chain not the picco.
A pretty good choice I think, but what puzzles me is what you say about the chain, as I am pretty sure no dealer in his right ming would put regular 3/8" chain on that saw - is has to be lo-pro, either PM, PM1 or PMN.
Hopefully the statement means that you got regular PM, not the safety chain. ;)

Back