I just got off the phone with a guy who sold me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so I bought myself a McCulloch 1-53 off of eBay that was labeled as a runner. I couldn’t get it to suck enough gas for all of the air that it was sucking due to the broken carburetor ear that was not mentioned in the description.
So I left negative feedback, gave my number to the seller & waited.
After a brief but rather one sided conversation, I was hung up on. I was just getting ready to agree with the seller on how Stihl 660s are highly reliable & how I’ve been running them (from Phil) since they were 066s but it was a dead line.

Who wants to know his name???

Further more is that &@#k SU@&%r here amongst us?!?!

Glad to be back, AS

Update: I did not see the ebay pic of the broken part when I wrote this. It's not the carb ear that is broken, it's more serious than that. See update below.
What model is your Tillotsdon carb with the broken ear?

Like is it a HL87 or a HL63? (with some additional letters) The model can usually be found stamped into the aluminum body on the side after the carb is removed. (and HL info and service manual at the Tillotson website)
I've found the tillotson carb's for Mac's very reasonably priced if I carefully shopped. ($15-25)

The old McCulloch carb is not user friendly. (McCulloch made some carb for awhile and they were termed Bullfrog carb's because they looked like a big bullfrog and not user friendly to repair.
You can replace the bullfrog type carb. with the Tillotson type carb.

I seen you had a post few days ago for 1-53 parts. Good to have couple of the 1-53's to use one as parts supply.

Let us know if you are going to try for a replacement carb.

sometimes some research info for proper parts for the old Mac's can be found at
https://store.chainsawr.com/

or send them a email ? about such

and buying a chainsaw from flea bay is kinda like buying a pig in a poke, especially if no return policy's agreed to first in writing and even then it can be ??.;)

I've had good luck buying parts and saws from members on this site.

Since the saw is clearly not in the condition as it was stated to be in the listing then its just a case of opening a claim, send the saw back for a full refund or accept a partial refund from the seller. EBay always sides with the buyer, the picts are still in the listing where the seller states nothing is broken, no leaks or cracks.

The way eBay is now set up its easy to get results, just a matter of opening a claim, they side with the buyer almost always and in this case no chance the seller can wiggle out. Putting a no retrurn clause in the listing has no grounds what so ever if the item is defective and not disclosed at the time of sale.

As always it is "buyer beware" but leaving negative feedback as a first step denies the seller the opportunity of at least trying to make it right.

Plus if the saw was sold as a parts saw and the seller files a dispute, ebay removes the negative feedback. The negative goes against your feedback score but they remove it so people don't see it.

I let the seller work with me through messages to make it right before I open a case. If I get no response within a day or two or if we are not reaching a mutual agreement that is reasonable in thst amount of time then I open a case. If they are reaponsive and go above and beyond then I may leave positive feedback. Often I leave a neutral feedback and summarize the issues had but say it was righted in some way like, carburetor was broken but seller provided a new one. Something like that.

Then you have some ground to stand on.
There is a link to the sale a few posts back, the seller states the saw has nothing busted, cracked and no leaks but in his picts of the saw there is clear evidence its already broken before shipping.

Just to add ,it was in post#7 ,the green link

Always best to try and work it out with the seller first and only through the eBay message system as mentioned so you have a means of showing you tried. Talking on the phone, well unless you record the conversation then you have no witness but recordings are not always permissible as evidence. If the seller is belligerent and won`t work with you then open a case. Where the seller has already slammed up the phone it is unlikely he will work with one to come to a agreeable settlement but never hurts to try again.

Back