I learned a few lessons yesterday.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started splitting friday night for about 2 hours and finished saturday around 2:00pm after starting around 9am. I also had about an hour into working on the 170 that showed up in the mail.

Here are some pics of the truck and trailer loaded with the split wood waiting to go around to the back side of the house to start stacking. We got about 3/4 of it stacked yesterday and will finish up today. I think there is about 2 1/2 chord there. We have one back row stacked and the runners are 16' long and it is about 5' tall and we started a row in front about 8' long and it is around 4' tall now and there is a good bit to be stacked yet.

I think my poor f150 needs helper springs LOL. I wasn't worried about it sagging just to go around to the backside of the house.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ain't it woderfull? I can relate as I delivered 4 cord of Eucaliptus which is insane heavy also. Here in the desert, we don't have that humidity but it get up to 110 degrees and with the firewood season beginning early this year I realized I also am out of shape and sore this morning also.
Ain't it wonderfull?

Someone who doesn't actually read the posts should be along any minute now to point out that overloading the ford like that will probably result in a busload of dead children.

Seriously, helper springs look to be in order. Here's 3/4 cord of green oak on the old Chevy:

20671_104728422885833_100000460284140_124085_193389_n.jpg

If they ain't full, you're wasting time and fuel!

I need to point out that the truck wasn't overloaded like it is in the pics when I hauled the load home. When I hauled the load home the bed of the pickup was only half full and the majority of the wood was balanced on the trailer. The truck actually sat level when we brought the load home.

I drove big truck and have owned my own tractor and trailer for 12 years up until the last two years. I have seen a lot of stupid stuff out on the road. I know how to balance a load and be within limits. When I split the wood and loaded the splits onto the truck and trailer I wasn't worried about balancing as much as I was to just get it on the truck and trailer the easiest way.

I do however want to get helper springs or bags for it so I can put more on the bed and not just have it half full when the trailer is loaded. The truck pulled the load great especially since the timing has been set to where it should have been in the first place instead of 0* TDC now it is at 12* BTDC

attachment.php

you need to fill that trailer up more! look at all that wasted space!! build some wooden sides and take advantage of both axles :D

I can see it now if I did that with this oak, brake controller set at 7.0 going down a hill, hit brakes.... uh oh ... uh oh.... oh $%&*

LMAO

On a serious note I would like to build some sides for the lighter stuff especially once I get some helper springs for the truck.

The 300 has a TON of low end torque. With proper gearing they will pull anything. I have one in my f250 and it has the 5 speed manual with 3.55 rear and it will pull anything I put on it. Those dual caliper brakes don't care about weight. As long as you have good running gear, you can do anything with 'em. They also can get good mileage. I get 25-30 with mine.

30mpg !

sorry.. IM CALLIN BULL#### ! !! !

even 25... cmon.. is that down hill in neutral ? :dizzy:

you have to drive easy in most 4cylinder 5 speed little econo cars to reach those kind of numbers

The 300 inline 6 did pretty good pulling the load. I have 3.08 in the rear which isn't the best for pulling. I have a set of 3.73's new that came with the truck but that would be too much gear. I would like to put a set of 3.25 or 3.55 in it so I have a little better pulling and still enough top end for decent gas mileage.

The best mpg I have ever gotten with the truck to date was 16.98 and that was after doing all the normal maintenance like air filter, plugs, cap & rotor and wires. We just did the timing the other day and haven't had a chance to check it yet but I know that made a big improvement considering the truck runs completely different now.

There were a couple hills on the way home when I brought the wood home and the biggest hill I had to drop to 4th gear and I topped it at almost 50 mph.

The 300 inline 6 did pretty good pulling the load. I have 3.08 in the rear which isn't the best for pulling. I have a set of 3.73's new that came with the truck but that would be too much gear. I would like to put a set of 3.25 or 3.55 in it so I have a little better pulling and still enough top end for decent gas mileage.

The best mpg I have ever gotten with the truck to date was 16.98 and that was after doing all the normal maintenance like air filter, plugs, cap & rotor and wires. We just did the timing the other day and haven't had a chance to check it yet but I know that made a big improvement considering the truck runs completely different now.

There were a couple hills on the way home when I brought the wood home and the biggest hill I had to drop to 4th gear and I topped it at almost 50 mph.

just what i figured if you keep even just half as much oil that is supposed to be in them they will run forever. This big ass bear i got has a 300 and i love it

attachment.php

30mpg !

you have to drive easy in most 4cylinder 5 speed little econo cars to reach those kind of numbers

Call it what you want....thats what I get. I have taken out the A/C and PS. I also took out the smog pump because the bearings were seized. New bearings in the drivetrain. The base timing is 14°BTDC. I don't drive fast or take off hard. I normally drive 45-50 mph on the highway. That means any road that has a speed limit over 45. I don't speed. I coast when I can and shut off the engine at lights. I run 50 psi in the tires as I do not have E range tires on it. WHen I get E range tires on it they will be 80-110 psi. I can push the truck with one hand on level ground. The mirrors are folded in and the antenna is removed. I use synthetic motor oil.

The lowest mileage I have gotten in the truck is 22 pulling my tractor. If you want to have proof then come on over and go for a ride.

I also removed the tailgate. I have been working on a slant-back bed cover as well.

A 362 bogging in 18" oak? Sumthin ain't raht!

Rakers too low, mebbe?:confused:

Say What? I can bog mine down in 18" oak or even much smaller stuff if I push it too hard. After using my friend's 660, it isn't difficult to push a 362 too hard... Heck, you can bog ANY saw down in just about anything - and I've done that with the 660 too. It's all about how hard you push it...

30mpg !

:biggrinbounce2:

Heh... you fell for one of the classic blunders...
The first of which is never get involved in a land war in Asia.

But only slightly less well known is this:
Isaac Carlson is a hypermiler... that dude can get from Minneapolis to Chicago on two gallons of gas - pulling a load of wood. :)

Call it what you want....thats what I get. I have taken out the A/C and PS. I also took out the smog pump because the bearings were seized. New bearings in the drivetrain. The base timing is 14°BTDC. I don't drive fast or take off hard. I normally drive 45-50 mph on the highway. That means any road that has a speed limit over 45. I don't speed. I coast when I can and shut off the engine at lights. I run 50 psi in the tires as I do not have E range tires on it. WHen I get E range tires on it they will be 80-110 psi. I can push the truck with one hand on level ground. The mirrors are folded in and the antenna is removed. I use synthetic motor oil.

The lowest mileage I have gotten in the truck is 22 pulling my tractor. If you want to have proof then come on over and go for a ride.

im gona have to guess you are just fooling around at this point...
i hope so

I am not joking. If you want me to prove it come on over and we can go for a drive. Put in a few gallons and see how far we can go. I drove from colfax to grantsburg to pick up a hydraulic cylinder from JD, and then to woodruff to pick up mom's piano and haul it back to colfax, all on about 16 gallons of gas. This was BEFORE I did any mods on the truck. You do the math. I had a piano and a big hydraulic cylinder in the back. It was not just highway either. We took back roads half the time and stooped to eat/potty. We also stayed in Grantsburg and Woodruff long enough for the truck to get cold. Check out ecomodder.com sometime.

Latest posts

Back