I love Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

moody

Last spring I was in the market for a new 50cc saw. Being fair I tried all of the brands I had at my disposal such as Jonsered/Husqvarna, Stihl, Dolmar and Echo. I narrowed it down chose the 346co loved the saw. But I almost bought a 261 just for the floppy caps. Are there any features on brands you don't own that you like?

It appears to me that the new flippy caps have a line on them and raised symbols for open and closed. A bit of black marker, a line and an o or a c make things even better and this can be done to prior flippy caps. How well a puff of air clears the area and how likely stuff falls in would really be more important in my opinion. Or how cramped the opening is for the filling container but I would guess that is more model than brand specific.

Turn the question around the other way, the Dolmar I have that is push the button down to stop the engine which it does even if let go before rotation stops is superior to anything else I have.

Fran

Last spring I was in the market for a new 50cc saw. Being fair I tried all of the brands I had at my disposal such as Jonsered/Husqvarna, Stihl, Dolmar and Echo. I narrowed it down chose the 346co loved the saw. But I almost bought a 261 just for the floppy caps. Are there any features on brands you don't own that you like?

You're messed up dude! ;)

What's a 346co?

You're messed up dude! ;)

What's a 346co?

Damn auto correct xp :bang: No I just enjoy the ease of use of flippy caps. But the 346 performed better so I didn't do anything wrong.:D I was just trying to be fair so I wasn't "brand loyal"

Damn auto correct xp :bang: No I just enjoy the ease of use of flippy caps. But the 346 performed better so I didn't do anything wrong.:D I was just trying to be fair so I wasn't "brand loyal"

Like is said about being messed up. But you did chose the best saw! :D

Like is said about being messed up. But you did chose the best saw! :D
I knew what saw I was getting but it was an excuse so my dealers would let me run saws :rock:

went looked @ new stihls just to see what all the "flippy" fuss was about... didn't like, they felt cheap & easy to break. just my $.02.

I've used Stihl equipment for most of 13 years and we beat the hell out of stuff. Haven't had one break yet....... As for saws well the live and they die

Like - side access chain tightener screw.

Like - inboard clutch because you can remove your saw head if the blade gets pinched.

Hate - flippy caps, too much opportunity for crud to fall in the opening.

Like - metal housings and covers, they last forever.

Like - independent dogs, not tied together at the bottom.

Like - air filters that can be removed without having to loosen a screw.

Like - large through holes on the bars for oil pickup.

Like - full wrap bars because they keep the saw off the ground cutting stumps.

Like - safety triggers.

Hate - safety chain stops, in 35 years have never had an incident when it did anything but add weight to the saw.

Like - shorty screnches.

Primer bulbs are great way to eliminate 7-9 pull cold starts.

Never had a saw that takes that many pulls. If it did.I would sell it. My two old xl12's that are 40 something years old start easier than that.

Primer bulbs are great way to eliminate 7-9 pull cold starts.

That can't be right.

My 40 cc RedMax doesn't have a purge bulb (primer is something else), but fires in 3-4 pulls from cold & dry. Sorry, won't put it away wet.

If it had a purge bulb, well, I'd like it even more.

That can't be right.

My 40 cc RedMax doesn't have a purge bulb (primer is something else), but fires in 3-4 pulls from cold & dry. Sorry, won't put it away wet.

If it had a purge bulb, well, I'd like it even more.

It moves air to the bowl doesn't it? And doing this fuel moves right? So the terminology could go either way.

went looked @ new stihls just to see what all the "flippy" fuss was about... didn't like, they felt cheap & easy to break. just my $.02.

I have 3 Stihls with the floppy's. 310 bought about when they first came out. Has eaten 10 or omore cord/yr since - no breaks, no leaking, no problems.

361 - bought early in the model run, used as backup and for big stuff with the 310 - no problems, no breaks.

210 - limbing saw - also no problems and no breaks. Sorta don't care either way on the flippies - they work, they are a bit faster than unscrewing a cap.

Harry K

flippy caps ok, only prob I've had is after a few years the o ring leaks on the oil side. jus replace it.
any stihl that don't start with 3-4 pulls cold, sumthins wrong with it. hate primers on weed wackers, don't own a saw with one.

flippy caps ok, only prob I've had is after a few years the o ring leaks on the oil side. jus replace it.
any stihl that don't start with 3-4 pulls cold, sumthins wrong with it. hate primers on weed wackers, don't own a saw with one.

Same here. I've replaced one O-ring on the oil side after 8 years. Both my Stihls start on second pull. If you can't operate a flippy cap, maybe you shouldn't be operating a saw.

Most of the time if a machine had a gas pump thingy majiggy I didn't know it. When I do know they have one I still don't use it, choke and start, keep it simple. Even not using the purge or primer bulb the engine always starts fairly quickly. I don't think they need to be on saws and I'm glad none of my saws have em. Something else to go bad.

Back