I made some chain vises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert,
The full radius end is for tunneling a race chain or freehand square fileing! The smaller radius on left end in your picture is simply for chain flow!

Thanks!

I always learn new things on A.S.! Until I saw your photos it was not clear to me why someone might want to file on the radius. I assumed a flat vise would be sufficient, as most of those in that thread I linked show.

Now I see where it could be a real advantage for square ground and race chains (although, I am usually content with chains that cut firewood and storm damage at a stock level!)

Philbert

Very nice work are you planning on selling them??
Bill

I have been kicking around the idea for a better than most chain vise and really wanted one for doing drpth gauges coming off the grinder... So here is what I came up with!

Upon getting a few of these to fellow as members and a lot of discussion later it was determined a more refined version would be better and more versatile!

Here is what I call GEN 2.

I wanted something that could be easily used, durable, versatile and my biggest factor was having the chain roll thru smoothly!

Depth gauges:

Roller guide:

File-o-plate:

.325 roller:

Freehand square file:

Tunneling:

I hear you there randy! Mine are so bad that I have to wear braces just to sleep and it is less painful for me to run the 511AX ratherthan a file!!

If it turns out that the wing nuts are actually better than the levers, there is still the option of using different style wing nuts.
This style (photo) is available from lots of hardware and woodworking places - much easier to turn. Not very expensive.

I wanted to change the bottom knob on my 511A grinder (vise rotation) because it is hard for me to grasp, and the finger space is limited by the base. Wanted to put in a 'T'-handle. But it turned out to be some weird, fine thread metric (10mm x 1.00 pitch) shaft that I could not match after checking lots of sites. Would have to make one.

I noticed that Oregon did replace a similar knob at the back of the newer, 511AX grinders with a re-positionable lever.

Philbert

If it turns out that the wing nuts are actually better than the levers, there is still the option of using different style wing nuts.
This style (photo) is available from lots of hardware and woodworking places - much easier to turn. Not very expensive.

I wanted to change the bottom knob on my 511A grinder (vise rotation) because it is hard for me to grasp, and the finger space is limited by the base. Wanted to put in a 'T'-handle. But it turned out to be some weird, fine thread metric (10mm x 1.00 pitch) shaft that I could not match after checking lots of sites. Would have to make one.

I noticed that Oregon did replace a similar knob at the back of the newer, 511AX grinders with a re-positionable lever.

Philbert

Those look like good thumb screws!! One draw back I see is that the insert nut is molded in the handle and there is a chance that it may comes loose from repeted use. I have seen that before with those. (im not saying that those knobs are bad, I do like the idea!)

Those look like good thumb screws!! One draw back I see is that the insert nut is molded in the handle and there is a chance that it may comes loose from repeted use. I have seen that before with those. (im not saying that those knobs are bad, I do like the idea!)

you'll just have to mill some metal ones.... :laugh:

One draw back I see is that the insert nut is molded in the handle and there is a chance that it may comes loose from repeted use.

I am sure that there are different quality levels available, and different plastics (nylon, phenolic, polypropylene, etc. ). Might be worth some research if you were producing these commercially.

You suggested that not a lot of force is required. Otherwise, they are inexpensive to replace.

Philbert

Well version3.1 is out... Mike has a pic to post I'm sure.

This one??

attachment.php

Well version3.1 is out... Mike has a pic to post I'm sure.

Not quite Nathan! This is Gen 2 with the lever nuts, I just wanted to show you all what the looked like. I am sorry it has took so long to get them but I finally got them!

These handles are adjustable by simply pulling back on the handle and moving them where ever you like!

Gen 3 vises will be longer without the full radius on the end. It will be long enough to have 4 cutters on top at a time, with 3 of the pictured handles and still be able to use the roller guide with it. Gen 3 is currently lying on the floor in 12' bar form and hope to get the first ones on the mill by the end of the week!!

Thank you for your compliment, I enjoy my work and take pride in what I do!

I really appreciate ALL of your guys input on this project, and am looking forward to making more stuff we can use with our hobby!

Stuff we can use with our HOBBY.......HOBBY......you mean NECESSITY dont you!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Ron

Gen 3

Here is as far as I got today! Upon some very constructive discussion with 2 of my highly respected AS members and I have decided to make these out of steel. These vises will be 11.5" and able to have 4 cutters up and sharpen all 4 with a roller guide. I have aluminum but with the relief for the roller guide the top 3/8" of the vise will be way too weak!

I was hoping to have the first one off the machine today but will see what monday brings!

I also like the idea of a steel vise.

Not that I would do a lot of it, but would a user still be able to do some tunneling and square filing at those radiused corners? Would a larger radius corner 'make up' some for losing the full radius end? I found your photo of filing on the end intriguing.

I know that we are asking for everything, and going back-and-forth on your design!

Great project! Great thread !

Philbert

Here is as far as I got today! Upon some very constructive discussion with 2 of my highly respected AS members and I have decided to make these out of steel. These vises will be 11.5" and able to have 4 cutters up and sharpen all 4 with a roller guide. I have aluminum but with the relief for the roller guide the top 3/8" of the vise will be way too weak!

I was hoping to have the first one off the machine today but will see what monday brings!

There's stihl three or four hours of day light left let's get one done.:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin: Mike just a ?? Why did you drop the radius of this longer model? I do like the idea of steel vs. aluminum.:rock:

Latest posts

Back