I made some chain vises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A vise is needed to keep the chain steady so the tooth cutting edge angle is to spec. I saw a pic on another forum where a guy sharpened his chain free hand with an angle grinder.
Seems a bit dangerous.
image.jpg image.jpg
At no point in time does this guy use any ppe while felling, limbing and bucking trees.

Last edited:
A vise is needed to keep the chain in steady so the tooth cutting edge angle is to spec. I saw a pic on another forum where a guy sharpened his chain free hand with an angle grinder.
Seems a bit dangerous.
View attachment 323545 View attachment 323546
At no point in time does this guy use any ppe while felling, limbing and bucking trees.
That's awesome! I've sharpened a drill bit like that but never a chain!

He prolly calls it a ''blade'':rolleyes:

Mike,are you now making the gen#4 that you can use a timberline,atop, and a Stihl on this one vise?If not I would like to order a "ATOP" model.Buck thirty-five to the house?The Gen#4 with the timberline notch in it that I order from you awhile back works great.Nice work you do and if anybody was on the fence about ordering one of these vises, rest assured it is a very thought out piece of work.

Mike,are you now making the gen#4 that you can use a timberline,atop, and a Stihl on this one vise?If not I would like to order a "ATOP" model.Buck thirty-five to the house?The Gen#4 with the timberline notch in it that I order from you awhile back works great.Nice work you do and if anybody was on the fence about ordering one of these vises, rest assured it is a very thought out piece of work.
Thank you, yes this vise allows all the sharpeners to be used on one vise. And yes that price is shipped!

Just received mine Saturday . The pictures I've seen online don't do the craftsmanship justice .
So far , I've mostly used my Timberline with the vice . But , I have checked how the ATOP , FF1 , and Husq. roller guide fit ,and work with the vice ......Perfect ! I couldn't be more pleased.
Mike , thanks for taking the time to make a great product .:rock::bowdown:

Gen 2 shown with optional lever nuts.
uhy3u4e5.jpg

Gen 3
ta2ysadu.jpg

Gen 4
uqetyje5.jpg

Homelite410, great work.

If anyone is thinking about one of these but hasn't decided to spend the $$, IMHO it's well worth the price. I worked out a trade with him involving some of the Christmas spirit and wanted to have a week or two to try the stuff he sent before I gave my opinion. Here it is:

I'm not a pro cutter or a saw shop guy, just a hack who likes to tinker on saws and stuff. The agreement we made was far more to my advantage than it was to Homelite410; he shipped quickly and everything was well packaged. I received the Gen 2 vice as well as two 12mm Stihl bar adapters. The quality was at least equal to and probably much better than anything commercially available. I have used the Gen2 vice on everything from picco chain on my Dad's MS180 to full chisel, square grind chain on my Makita 6401. It works smoothly, consistently and makes the work much easier and more precise than getting the chain tight on the bar and setting the brake.

The bar adapters fit absolutely perfectly. I was concerned I might need to do a bit of filing to get them to fit "just right", but I was able to quickly see they were made with the precision and close tolerances I have come to expect from a professional machinist. They are sweet.

Again, just my 2 cents.

When the funds are available, I'll be back for the Gen4.

dd

Homelite410, great work.

If anyone is thinking about one of these but hasn't decided to spend the $$, IMHO it's well worth the price. I worked out a trade with him involving some of the Christmas spirit and wanted to have a week or two to try the stuff he sent before I gave my opinion. Here it is:

I'm not a pro cutter or a saw shop guy, just a hack who likes to tinker on saws and stuff. The agreement we made was far more to my advantage than it was to Homelite410; he shipped quickly and everything was well packaged. I received the Gen 2 vice as well as two 12mm Stihl bar adapters. The quality was at least equal to and probably much better than anything commercially available. I have used the Gen2 vice on everything from picco chain on my Dad's MS180 to full chisel, square grind chain on my Makita 6401. It works smoothly, consistently and makes the work much easier and more precise than getting the chain tight on the bar and setting the brake.

The bar adapters fit absolutely perfectly. I was concerned I might need to do a bit of filing to get them to fit "just right", but I was able to quickly see they were made with the precision and close tolerances I have come to expect from a professional machinist. They are sweet.

Again, just my 2 cents.

When the funds are available, I'll be back for the Gen4.

dd
Thank you, I'm truly touched by your words my friend!!!

I am really debating on getting one of these. I assume the Gen 4 is the latest and greatest of them all. What are the advantages of the Gen 4 vs. the others? Currently I find myself hand filing and do not use any jigs, I do use a simple file guide. I have a timberline but currently have it for sale and I don't see myself getting a jig of any kind. Of course things change down the road.

I currently sharpen .325 and 3/8 chain. I assume each of these vises can do all different size chain?

Latest posts

Back