I may have messed up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandKruiser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I’ve been using a Stihl MS250 for a few months now and wanted something bigger. I go down to the local ACE Hardware and talk to the sales guy who recommended the MS271 Farm Boss. I buy it and get it home and realize it’s only 1/2 HP than my other saw. Should I return it or keep it (I haven’t even started the saw yet).

45cc v/s 50cc. Might should have jumped up to the 291 if staying with plastic saws in same 271 weight

291 would be 10cc jump 55.5cc.

291 just bigger bore on same case of 271.
Thanks , I’ll see if they have any. Their return policy is that once you put gas or oil in the saw it can’t be returned. They put gas in the saw to test it. I haven’t done anything but put the saw in my shop and it’s been sitting ever since.

Thanks , I’ll see if they have any. Their return policy is that once you put gas or oil in the saw it can’t be returned. They put gas in the saw to test it. I haven’t done anything but put the saw in my shop and it’s been sitting ever since.

14 day return or exchange policy on all stihl gas product. Dealers don’t like it but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’ve been using a Stihl MS250 for a few months now and wanted something bigger. I go down to the local ACE Hardware and talk to the sales guy who recommended the MS271 Farm Boss. I buy it and get it home and realize it’s only 1/2 HP than my other saw. Should I return it or keep it (I haven’t even started the saw yet).
I would suggest and recommend moving to the 261 Pro, there you would see a huge jump in performance, but yet in a small and lighter package than the 291.
Just called them and will be picking up a 391 on Friday. I can return the saw and get my money back as well.
I just saw your post come through before I posted. if you are looking at the 391 size, then look at the 362, the 362 is a smaller CC saw, but more power and torque and lighter weight of the 391.

These are just my opinions and the choices I would be looking into the sizes you indicated.

I would suggest and recommend moving to the 261 Pro, there you would see a huge jump in performance, but yet in a small and lighter package than the 291.

I just saw your post come through before I posted. if you are looking at the 391 size, then look at the 362, the 362 is a smaller CC saw, but more power and torque and lighter weight of the 391.

These are just my opinions and the choices I would be looking into the sizes you indicated.
Will consider those options. Thank you

391 is a heavy saw, quite a bit more than the 250 or 272.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'll agree that it's heavier than a 250, and I'm not saying it's a great saw, but I still don't think it counts as "heavy". Especially when paired with a small saw, a saw that size is a very reasonable weight. Lighter than most rounds of firewood, I'd think...

I'll agree that it's heavier than a 250, and I'm not saying it's a great saw, but I still don't think it counts as "heavy". Especially when paired with a small saw, a saw that size is a very reasonable weight. Lighter than most rounds of firewood, I'd think...
3hp to 4.4hp
10.1lbs to 13.7lbs

But the 391 with a 20+ inch bar on it just feels heavy for the power. I tried mine with a 25 and 20 bar, it cuts fine. By comparison, my 036 is 62cc, vs 65cc, and is a pound lighter, and is rated at 4.5hp.

There is the new MS 400 if your looking for a larger saw in the 362 range of cc’s. My buddy got one and loves it. I prefer the 462 [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I was going to suggest that instead of the 362, but he is on a time limit with the return and the 400 are more scarce purchasing.

3hp to 4.4hp
10.1lbs to 13.7lbs

But the 391 with a 20+ inch bar on it just feels heavy for the power. I tried mine with a 25 and 20 bar, it cuts fine. By comparison, my 036 is 62cc, vs 65cc, and is a pound lighter, and is rated at 4.5hp.

Oh, I agree. I'm no fan of the plastic stihl saws at all. Best thing they have going is resale value because of the cult following. There's at least half a dozen 60cc saws I think are a better choice. I just don't particularly think it's heavy. Heavy for the power, sure. Less powerful than some lighter saws, definitely. But still, not that heavy.

Latest posts

Back