I must have that stupid look about me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nardoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been dropping in to my local scrap metal yard for a long time and occassionally the owner has an old saw for me, but mostly junk. A few times I have seen nice saws there but he will never sell them to me. One day recently his son told me someone had dropped in three big ole Stihls the day before but no, he would not sell them to me. I understand he has better customers but I keep trying.

Couple of weeks back he had a busted Chinese saw for me which I paid his asking price of $10.00 despite it being junk. I smiled and said my thanks. As I left he asked me if I fixed saws. My ears pricked and I said sure I do, and asked what he had. He produced a battered Echo Little Champ with no starter side. He said they used the saw for cutting tyres and that rubber had got caught in the fly wheel and wrecked the starter pulley, side case, recoil and all. He kind of intimated that he'd be very thankful if I could fix it.

Naturally I offered to repair it and took it home and started scouring sources for parts. To cut a long story short I paid $58.00 for two parts saws (not to mention 200 miles in the truck for pick up), replaced the whole starter side of his saw including the flywheel, sharpened the chain, dressed the bar, cleaned out the carb and kind of beautified the saw by scraping off all the melted rubber.

So tonight I proudly return to the scrap yard to be greeted by the owner's son who demands to know where the saw I 'took' is. Taking a deep breath I told him I did not 'take' it as his Dad had given it to me to fix. Smiling, I pulled the saw out, gave it two pulls and it fired right up. I thought this would turn him around but he snarled, "it went just like that before." Luckily the sound of the saw starting drew the owner from his little shed and saved me from using the little Echo on his son. Again, proudly, I show the owner the repaired Little Champ. All he says is, "How much?" I tell him I don't charge anything, it is free, because, you know, you keep saws for me occassionally.

Now here is the good bit. He says a chainsaw came in today and I brighten up - things are finally going my way. He walks to a skip full of trash and pulls out the cheapest, most broken down Chinese chain store piece of rubbish you have ever seen. I smile and stammer, "no thanks I have lots like that," but before I can say any more he cuts me off and says, "well stop wasting my time," turns tail and returns to his shed.

I am left standing with my mouth open - I could not think of a single thing to say. Nothing. I turn around and hop back into my car with my tail between my legs, where my dear wife has been waiting patiently, listening to every word spoken. She said, "that went well." I looked at her and we both burst out laughing.

Oh the joys of chainsaw collecting.
Al.

Last edited:
Before you agreed to work on his saw, you would've been wise to clarify that you expected him to offer to you a chance at the better quality saws in exchange for the work.

Based on your post (yes, as always, both sides of the story would be best), he & his son come across as a$$holes.

Wow, what a story... and I thought I was the only one to get treated like that!:msp_rolleyes:

When I was younger, I would keep trying to please people like that and keep getting the same treatment, which got me down. It took awhile, but I realized that it wasn't me the reason why I got treated so bad, but the particular person I was trying to please, the only fault of mine was I was stupid enough to keep coming back...
Now, when I encounter someone like that I avoid them like the plague. There are always people that will appreciate you for who you are, and those are the people you should surround yourself with.

Enough with my self help babble.....::)

Before you agreed to work on his saw, you would've been wise to clarify that you expected him to offer to you a chance at the better quality saws in exchange for the work.

Based on your post (yes, as always, both sides of the story would be best), he & his son come across as a$$holes.

I don't know about others but that would be my last trip to his place for saws or anything else. There's lots of places to look for old saws.

Nardoo, That was a heck of a story...thanks for posting...proves there's no shortage of ###holes around these days...

However, doing something good for someone, whether they appreciate it or not, is still gain for ya...it's kinda a universal law.
Every dog has his day they say...so the time is coming where the score will even out for ya and someone will show kindness back at you. Maybe there will be a pile of cherry Pioneers or Macs on yer doorstep...:msp_thumbsup:

That would of been my "deal breaker". I'd never talk to them idiots again. If you must, send them a letter letting them know your disappointment in their unfair dealings, but that is assuming they can read.

Good luck,
M

That would be the last time I ever went there, thats for sure! Some people just dont realize a good gesture deserves rewarding, regardless if it's implied or not. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around. Things will balance out for you, as well as those idiots at the scrap yard.

Folks running scrap yards over here are the toughest, cheapest and ripping off low life people you can find in Belgium. I bring some scrap metal in sometimes for a friend of mine, and they always treat you like sh@t, like you should be happy to deposit your metal with them. Now that scrap prices are skyrocketing, it becomes a bit better, but you always need to be careful not to being screwed for weight, etc.

One time, I saw an ILO engine laying around there and asked if I could haul that with me, but I wisely stepped back when he named the price.

I won't ever deal with them folks again, even if they had twenty 090 Stihl geardrives available for sale. Bottom line for me : I don't do business with scum like that.

Yo!

You need to post as many ads as you can all around your area "will pay BETTER than scrap prices for non running chainsaws"

Doesn't have to be a whole lot more, just "some" better than what those ingrates are willing to pay, which I bet, ain't much.

I would call them up and tell them you found the "suck back valve" for their echo saw that you must forgot to put it back in and would not use the saw until it gets installed because there's a good chance it may catch on fire without it. Tell them you will be right down there to install the "suck back valve" and then forget they even exist.

Wow... that's one helluva story.. not sure I could have resisted the temptation to make their day worse than mine. You did right by walking away.

Hey guys you are being real easy on me, I felt sure everyone would call me a knucklehead. I am not upset but find it mighty amusing and I will continue to go back and ask respectfully for old saws. My old Mam always said you catch more flies with strawbwerry jam than you do with pigchit. And I am a very strong believer in Karma.
Hi Andre. Nice to hear from you - you answered by very first post here and did so with such friendliness and dignity that I am still here!

Al.

Hey guys you are being real easy on me, I felt sure everyone would call me a knucklehead. I am not upset but find it mighty amusing and I will continue to go back and ask respectfully for old saws. My old Mam always said you catch more flies with strawbwerry jam than you do with pigchit. And I am a very strong believer in Karma.
Hi Andre. Nice to hear from you - you answered by very first post here and did so with such friendliness and dignity that I am still here!

Al.

Al,

I will lose all respect for you if you go back and grovel for their junk saws.

I spend a lot of time buying scrap stuff from yards around me, mostly making tools and muffler components. The people you describe will never cozy up to you. And it's best to leave em be. Go to another scrap yard. Post your ad in the local paper, and pay double scrap price, and pick the saws up. Once your there look around for other money making stuff. Usually what you went there for is not as good as the deals you make happen.

Like I said, I spend a lot of time buying from yards. Not many people can go through a guys business like they own it. But some places I am just like that. I know all the employees names, their stories, and their family. One guy was in deep shyt with the law and I got him 2000 for a decent attorney. But there are scrap yards I wouldn't walk in to save my own life. They can be thieves, scumbags and A-holes. Not worth a damned rotten penny.

Just stay away, and invest your time in saving as many saws as you can before they get to his yard. Or if you must go back there, look for unsafe conditions that put the owner and his son in danger. Then report that to the authorities. Be his best friend while one after another citation after citation comes in for piles of tires, or burning tires, releasing CFC's into the atmosphere....etc. Report him for having a rigged scale. Believe me it probably is, judging the way they treated you.

Aw Scott, I promise I won't grovel. And I value the friendship, advice and respect of every AS member so I will take your advice (& listen to my dear wife) and stay the heck away from that junk yard.

Al.

Come on Chris, are you serious? You been chewing on anal sandwich?

Come on Chris, are you serious? You been chewing on anal sandwich?

I'm with you here. I have dealt with tons of different types of people. And rarely do I find that people involved with chainsaws are dishonest. I wholeheartedly believe the story that has been told.

Al, if you need anything, ever, let me know and I will help as I am able at the time.

Thanks,
Scott.

Latest posts

Back