I need a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MS250 is a great little saw I had the older version the 025 cut up a fair amount of 12" dead locust and it did a great job so I wouldn't dismiss the 250 matter of fact might
take one over the 290 I went from the 025 to the MS 310 and was not that impressed with the overall jump in preformance however when I got my hands on the 036 I used to have now that was a noticible jump in power so my recomendation to you would be either the MS 250 or if you want more of a preformance jump instead of the 290 go with the 362 it will have enough grunt to reliably pull a 20" bar buried in hard wood and still have resonable weight and great preformance.

I think the jump from 170 to 290 is a bit overkill. The 290 is an OK saw, but honestly, there are much better choices -- including the Stihl 261, with will outcut the 290 and weighs a bit less. After handling a 261, I immediately felt like it was worth the extra bucks over the 290 and of course it puts you into a pro model Stihl. The 290 is just a tad bit heavy and bulky, not to mention outdated. It's really a low-budget big saw, and I think there are better choices.

My brother in law has a 250, and it's a very strong little saw for the money as long as you're OK with a consumer level Stihl.

But really, if you are content with the 170, why mess with success? Sure, there are bigger and more powerful saws. But they're also heavier and more expensive. Sometimes a light nimble little saw is really the better choice.

I will "echo" mountainlake's suggestion for the CS-400 -- it's a nice little saw, and compares more directly to a mid-level Stihl when you look at the build quality and features. I have been real pleased with my Echo. It's the most user friendly saw I have used in recent weeks, and I have been trying out a lot of saws lately.

I'm the OP. OK. Now you got me thinking of a bit smaller saw like the Stihl MS250, or the CS-400. I went to the Home Depot web site and read some reviews on the CS-400. Is it true that you must use 91 octane gas and only Echo oil or the 5 year warranty is voided?

Don <><

Id go with the MS271. They have all the good AV, filtration, whole nine yards. Plus it would be a good jump in HP over the 170.

If not the 271, go with the ms280. Theyre both alot better than the 290 imo, and also lighter.

ms250

Because it is a few steps up from your old reliable ms170 sure,It costs more but it is lightweight with more power,not alot heavier.
The 290 has more power than you have required with a big weight difference,very heavy next to the ms170.So save 50 bucks and get
the ms 250 with some $50.00 in extra goodies like chains and files.And in my area the 290 is 100 bucks more than the 250,so easy decision!

A good quality bow saw shouldn't be overlooked here, @ around 30 bucks with a spare blade they are on the money, a reasonably fit guy will outcut an MS170 with one in 12 inch stuff quiet easily, they are super environmentally friendly and light as a feather.

Got my hands on a Stihl MS 180 C Minni Boss about the same saw you have in size and just a fuzz more power haven't used much yet but I think it will make a great saw for limbing and cutting small trees. If you go bigger to the 200 class of Stihls the saw would be heavier, more expensive, but would cut faster. Check out a Farm Boss or Wood Boss.

If i were you, and I had the money, I would not get the 261, but rather the biggest Stihl where I could share bars and chains between the new one and the 170 (which I of course would fix up) and that would be the 250/251.

I'm the OP. So you're saying the MS170 and 250/251 share some parts, like the bar and chain? Is this correct? I take it that the 250 is the old model and the 251 is the new model, correct? Are there any significant differences between the two models? I'm beginning to lean toward the Stihl 250/251 (versus the MS290) as there are so many Stihl dealers near me. Having said that, my trusty little 8 year old MS170 never had to go in for any repairs, until now. After I buy a new toy, err saw, maybe I'll try repairing the oiler on the 170. Should give me some valuable experience. I'm reasonably mechanically reclined and can easily screw stuff up with the best of them (maybe better). Do I need any special tools? Is that "easy start" feature worth it, or is it just another thing to go hay-wire?

Don <><

Last edited:
Genesis5521, I think you'll be happy with the ms250. The man I bought my 362xp off of replaced it with a ms250. He loves it! He likes it cause of the light weight. Im 75% sure the bar will interchange, there are fellows on here that will be able to tell you for 100%. I like my 026, its one of my go to saws for limbing, and bucking anything 8in or less. I have a bigger saw that cuts so darn fast that I use it for anything remotely big. I truly believe that if you liked your 170 you'll do back flips after running a 250. Good Luck:msp_wink:

Although they both use 3005 mount bars, the 170 uses 3/8 picco .043 and the 250 uses .325 .063. You possibly could interchange them, but not without buying sprockets. I bielieve they are both setup just right the way they come from the factory.

Although they both use 3005 mount bars, the 170 uses 3/8 picco .043 and the 250 uses .325 .063. You possibly could interchange them, but not without buying sprockets. I bielieve they are both setup just right the way they come from the factory.

Thanks for the clarification Pioneer. Good info.

Don <><

I'm the OP. So you're saying the MS170 and 250/251 share some parts, like the bar and chain? Is this correct? I take it that the 250 is the old model and the 251 is the new model, correct? Are there any significant differences between the two models? I'm beginning to lean toward the Stihl 250/251 (versus the MS290) as there are so many Stihl dealers near me. Having said that, my trusty little 8 year old MS170 never had to go in for any repairs, until now. After I buy a new toy, err saw, maybe I'll try repairing the oiler on the 170. Should give me some valuable experience. I'm reasonably mechanically reclined and can easily screw stuff up with the best of them (maybe better). Do I need any special tools? Is that "easy start" feature worth it, or is it just another thing to go hay-wire?

Don <><

Yes, some parts are (can be) the same: They have the same bar mount, so they can share the same bar and chain, and for that matter the same files for the chain. But Stihl-Pioneer might have a good point, see below. However, since they differ quite a lot in power you might not want to put the 250's 18" bar on the 170 every other day, but if you're in a pinch it might save the day.

I haven't read up on the 251, nor have I seen it yet, so I can't say anything about it. But I do own a 250 since 6 years and I think it's a great little saw, light weight for its power, reliable and nice to use.

I have both the Easy2Start-feature as well as the tool less chain tensioning system. They work well, just as advertised - but today I would have bought my saw without them. There's nothing wrong with the functions, it's just that I've changed my preferences and now I very much prefer to save a few kronor (read "dollars") on the purchase as well as not having to carry any unnecessary weight, if ever so little, if I can avoid it.

I thought you could have the dealer change to Picco on the 250 without charge, but perhaps I'm wrong, and in that case the OP would have to change to a Picco sprocket or a rim&drum-system at his own expense. However, chainging to a rim&drum system is a good thing anyway, so when the original spur sprocket is worn out I always recommend doing so.

Gauge for 3005 bars depends on length, there is .325/.058 bars for 3005-mount as well.

I'm the OP. Some of you have got me thinking of getting a more powerful saw, so in my brief research, I'm kinda favoring the Stihl MS290 strictly because of its price to horsepower ratio (around $350 MSRP, 56.5cc & 3.8 HP). The MS290 is about 5 pounds heavier than my MS170. But I think I can handle that. The only reason I'm sticking with Stihl is because there are so many Stihl dealers around me, and my little MS170 has been faithful and trustworthy all these years. That tells me something about its quality. In reality, I think all of the major saw manufactures make some really fine saws. I know choosing a saw is pretty subjective and to each his own. But should I be looking at any other Stihl model in this price range? I also like the MS250, but for 50 bucks more the MS290 has almost 1 more HP than the MS250. I'll be cutting around 20 cords of firewood a year.

Popular Mechanics gave the MS290 a decent review. It's the only saw in the test that got a 5 star rating and no nit-picks. Echo, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Solo Stihl Chain Saw Review - Best Chainsaw Review - Popular Mechanics

Thanks guys <><

Don

I seriously doubt you will not wish you have a bigger saw some day even if you are just cutting a years supply of firewood yearly. I personly like the ms 250 quite a bit better for the power to weight and sweet handling over an ms290, but in your situation I highly recomend the 290 or even an 310 which sounds like it may be pushing your budget, you likely will still want a bigger saw some day, the 250 will have you wishing for a bigger saw sooner. The right tool matched to the job makes it easiar and often improves the life of your tool. If your not objective to used and not in a big rush maybe you can be kinder to your budget and have the same or more of a saw. Its not unusual to find something like an 026, 028,034 or similar 2 to $300 in good working order. Probably someone on the site has 1. I sold today a recently overhauled 026 for $275.

easy 2 start

Don <><

I have it on a weed trimmer.They should call that feature "easier pull"

Easy2Start is differently implemented on different equipment, and while the one on the trimmers does make it easier to start, the one on the 250 saw is the only "Easy2Start" worth its name for real. It's a mystery to me why they don't put the same system on their trimmers. On a brush cutter or clearing saw it would even be well worth it's price to have it, since it would make it possible to start them without dismounting them first...

I guess I'm the black sheep here, but I can't imagine cutting 6 cords of wood a year with a 170. That's like mowing your lawn with a pair of scissors.
I would get an 044/046, get the job done, and have more time for drinking beer.

Tony

I'm the OP. OK. Now you got me thinking of a bit smaller saw like the Stihl MS250, or the CS-400. I went to the Home Depot web site and read some reviews on the CS-400. Is it true that you must use 91 octane gas and only Echo oil or the 5 year warranty is voided?

Don <><

You know, I don't know about that. I have been running 89 octane and either Echo or Stihl oil mix. I don't think there is a strict warranty recommendation, though I recall the Echo manual advising "mid-grade" fuel or better. As noted earlier, the big thing is to use good gas, don't let it hang around on the shelf too long, and be sure to drain the saw tank and run the motor dry when not being used for more than a week. Modern day Ethanol gas just doesn't cooperate with two-strokes when it is old.

By the way, if you are gravitating towards the 250, I would advise skipping the C-BE model with the quick bar adjuster. I think the regular 250 with bar nuts is the way to go. A group of family/friends and I cut a lot of wood after Irene, and two of the guys had a 250. Those saws really kicked some butt, and I was impressed. Very strong for a general-purpose consumer saw, and I think 45cc is a good all around size (they both had 18" bars, but I bet it would sing with a 16" bar). You can spend more for a better-built Stihl model, but it would be hard to beat the performance/dollar ratio of the 250.

I'm the OP. I visited to a couple of small chain saw shops yesterday. I like small chain saw shops that kinda specialize in just one or two things as opposed to the big stores where chain saws are just another commodity. One sold just Stihl, the other sold Husky, Dolmar and Jonsered (he's dropping the Jonsered line). Just to be fair, I also visited Home Depot and checked out their Echo saws. Picked-up and played with lots of different saws yesterday. They're ALL very nice. In the end, the Stihl MS250 felt the most comfortable (and familiar) to me. Handling wise, it was hard for me to tell the difference between the 250 and my old 170. Seeing as the 170 did everything I ever asked of it, and seeing as how I can't justify the cost of a Pro saw, and seeing that the MS250 has almost twice the power of my little 170 (3 HP vs 1.7 HP), I think the 250 with a 16 inch bar will fulfill all of my needs. The MS290 has more power, but was noticeably heavier. Same with the Husky 455 Rancher. $400 was my limit. So at $300 for the MS250, I'll have some change left over for an extra bar and a few chains. In the end, it was a very subjective decision. Is one brand better than another? I don't think so. I think we're darn lucky to have so many choices.

Thanks for all of your help guys. Ya done educated me a bit.

Don <><
Semper Fi

I guess I'm the black sheep here, but I can't imagine cutting 6 cords of wood a year with a 170. That's like mowing your lawn with a pair of scissors.
I would get an 044/046, get the job done, and have more time for drinking beer.

Tony

Hi Tony. I don't drink and I make firewood like I make love. Real slow. (At 66, I'm glad I can make ANYTHING.):msp_wink: I'm a 4 speed kinda guy. Slow, slower, stop and reverse.

Don <><
Semper Fi

Last edited:
Back