I need help? Big Mac 79? where's the casting #'s?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucas_mill_r

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need help with a Big Mac 79? where's the casting #'s?

I have an big old McCulloch 79? I think. I've tried to identify the model by the casting numbers but I can't find them. Does anyone know where they are stamped? After looking at chain saw collectors corner I'm really confused. It states on that site that the 79-somethings have a black breather cover and fuel tank cover but mine has or had (i can't find it yet) black breather cover but the tank is Mac yellow. Any help would be appreciated on this I have taken some pictures of the saw if it helps. Oh, by the way the numbers are not by the I shaped piece on the bottom.

Last edited:
That looks familiar to me

Lucas, your saw looks nearly identical to the McCulloch 1-76 I have, even to the point of missing the air filter cover. The only true difference I can see is that the front handle on my saw is wrapped all the way in rubber, where yours has it only in two sections. I am going to make a guess, but yours might be a 1-75.

What you need to do is roll the saw on its back and on the crankcase just where its bolted to the oil tank are some numbers first a model no and then a serial no, unless the cylinder has been replaced in service then there would be no numbers present.

Mc Bob.

You were close Gearhead1 it's a model 1-72. Boy, McCulloch saws look so similar. Thank you both and especially you ozflea for the website you maintain.

Back