I NEED HELP! in more ways than one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slyder needs help

Hi Slyder,

at the risk of offending you, I would urge you to reconsider doing the job yourself. Just buying the gear to do the job isn't enough, nor is watching a professional at work. You might get some idea of what you need to do, but every tree and every species is different and a little knowledge can be dangerous. 60 to 70 foot trees may not seem too big....until you're up there. and if it goes wrong it could be more than your pocket that get's hurt.

Try shopping around, I know here in the UK the prices vary wildly and "down south" from me I was amazed at quotes for £2000 per tree for stuff I charge in the hundreds. There will be someone reasonable out there. If not, pay my air fare and I'll do it for you, lol

regards,

TJ

RB....I feel Bad For you: so talented; yet so underpaid( Jk..we just make more in Mass).......$2000k for those trees is a Low price; not only are they tall White pines over a shed and power lines but if you don't mill the pine( which very few companies in MA do) then the contractor needs to get rid of the pine logs. Like I said we will gladly give you a quote if you wish to bring in a professional. Good luck!!

www.dillontree.com

Last edited:
Slyder said:
Holy Sh*t, Can I have that wood?
Yes, the 1050 you better have ear muffs on. It's loud and fast.
What is a Shinny 488? Is it a Shindaiwa?
Yeah that's how you spell that Olympyk I have. The outside clutch cover where the safty brake connects is worn out and you have to position it just right and it will rip right along.
What size bars are on those?

That was almost 4 years ago....

The two 372's run 20-32 inch bars, the 3120 is ported, puts out a generous 13 hp, and is only used for big stuff. I run a 42 inch bar on it, with rare use of a 60". The green saw is a Craftsman branded Solo 651, also fully woods ported... a 3 cube ripper that I want to sell. It cuts about like the next size up Stihl or Husky, if they are stock. I want $250 or so for it, have over $400 in it...The little fella is a 335 Husky 335 XPT, my climb saw of choice, cause I'm an oddball. Most folks prefer the Stihl MS200, which is a great saw, but pricey at about $500.

Here's Travis, checking out my hinge on a 4 foot butted lombardy poplar. The other orange saw is a PS7900 Dolmar, sporting a 32 inch bar, and, also modded to the 9 hp range.. give or take a few hundred....
attachment.php

and one of me felling the monster, with the 42 inch equipped 3120 buried....

attachment.php

Last edited:
diltree said:
RB....I feel Bad For you: so talented; yet so underpaid( Jk..we just make more in Mass).......$2000k for those trees is a Low price; not only are they tall White pines over a shed and power lines but if you don't mill the pine( which very few companies in MA do) then the contractor needs to get rid of the pine logs. Like I said we will gladly give you a quote if you wish to bring in a professional. Good luck!!

www.dillontree.com

Maybe, dil....but he'd burn the wood...and those trees are miniscule compared to most of our conifers, and a slam dunk to boot.....we could prolly do 6 to 8 that size and in that location in a day.

You couldn't use any of your awesome equipment on that job....just a chipper and a climber not afraid of tall trees.....

Wish I could pull down $4000-6000 a day for a crew of three doing cake work like that..
Great website, pics, and music, by the way.

Nice site you have there Diltree, I was being nosy for the future when we might put one together. I like the " Clock " music, one of my favorites, always stop to listen to that one, who are the artists for that one???

How do you get out of your site??? no X was at the top right of the page, at least on my puter their wasn't, had to reboot.

Slyder, those pines are a pro job all the way down to the last cut.

Larry

Rb...white pine does not burn very well, and it looks like I could park my Terex in the road and pic those pines apart in no time at all, with 127 feet of boom it wouldn't be a problem, But I know you guys have us beat with the monster conifers you take down. Thanks for the compliments on the site, I love the song "clocks" and for some reason it reminds me of tree removal, and I'm not sure why there was no X to close out the site...there is when i visit. One thing we can all agree on is even though we all like spydr...he has no business attempting to do these trees.......

www.dillontree.com

Oh Ax...clocks is by Coldplay...Killer Band, you can pick up the album "Rush of blood to the head" and clocks as well as many other great tunes will be on there

do you guys give free quotes?
i know i'll probably pay later for the free quote when i pay to have it done.
thanks guys

Here's a bunch of videos from a very tough job we just finished. Excuse the 2 vids of an arborist bud skiing....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8141857149282297361

And one of a 57 foot top being taken from 95 feet up. The tree scaled out at 1700 board feet. We got 3800 board feet from 4 trees, had a crane bill of $300 to get a couple out. The log truck skidded this big fir around the house corner, using that cedar butt for a fulcrum. The cedar butt split when i dropped it, still got over $400 for it, a 20 footer. The customer was charged $1200 for the 1.75 day job, as I'll net another $2100 on the wood.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2671708962784596849&pl=true

Thanks Dil,

Even though this song is from my daughters era so to speak,she didn't know who recorded it. I always appeciate good music, it will be a classic that is going to be around for a long time. I will be tracking this CD down for sure.

Larry

Rb.....Nice work man...you guys are a good company for sure......did you sleeve the wires when you made those pics around the single phase????

RB has done a lot to help you, don't climb those trees yourself. I climb big trees in the bush at work, yesterday I did a no cleanup res. job for my boss. It was four alders in front of a house about 40'-50' tall and a couple of small ones and a couple about 40'-50' on the side of the house, powerlines on the other side of the street. The guy had agreed to pay my boss a day (61/2 hours), I had them all pounded with over two hours left so I cut down more alders for him, including one that was a little tough cause I had to hold and muscle big branches. My point, when I first started climbing I was scared, any one who says they were not is lying, I was legs shaking scared. When I started I would have probably only been able to do a few of them, might have ripped down the service wires and damaged the house. It looks like anyone can do it, its not, pay someone and watch.

diltree said:
Rb...white pine does not burn very well, and it looks like I could park my Terex in the road and pic those pines apart in no time at all, with 127 feet of boom it wouldn't be a problem, But I know you guys have us beat with the monster conifers you take down. Thanks for the compliments on the site, I love the song "clocks" and for some reason it reminds me of tree removal, and I'm not sure why there was no X to close out the site...there is when i visit. One thing we can all agree on is even though we all like spydr...he has no business attempting to do these trees.......

www.dillontree.com

How? I assume those are primaries out there? Think you could keep the boom and load min 10 feet clear the whole time?

White pine burns very well, it just burns up quick.

I may have a job coming up where I need a 210 tonner with at least his 197 feet of main boom, if not more. Two more lombardy poplar, above a house, on a hill, landslide next to them and up against the house. 90 feet max reach needed, 150-170 feet from the road up to the tree tops. The pic has the two trees outlined...

Last edited:
Once again I agree with my good friend clearance. those are not trees to learn on!

PS my legs still shake sometimes.:blush: But not for long; then my spine shivers, which is a good thing.

diltree said:
Rb.....Nice work man...you guys are a good company for sure......did you sleeve the wires when you made those pics around the single phase????
RB is good at trees, maybe he is lineman as well? Single phase is more fun, you can bounce stuff of it all day unlike a three phase. Oh, no, you are never to hit a line with vegetation and the sexist term lineman is not pc, the correct term is powerline technician. RB, do you guys have the utility put the line onto single shot when you are close to power?

Rb...thats what I meant...white pine is worthless firewood, camp fire stuff.....and if i couldn't get my load line away from the primary more then ten feet, i would call mass electric and have them sleeve the primary the day before we used the crane to take apart those pines.....but we have a 78' aerial lift of conn bucket that would serve as more then enough reach to top those pines out from the road...so the crane would really just be a luxury...either way we have those down within the hour........as I'm sure you would as well ( we would be just a step ahead with the fancy equipment)

www.dillontree.com

diltree said:
Out here, they're not much into doing anything to make the job easier for us, besides giving us 10 feet clearance.
That pine was dicey, for sure. Being a partly failed tree, I decided to just do the danged thing right away. We kept 10 foot clearance, except for that top, which was still 10 feet away when we stopped it. I was going to speed line it away from the wires, but didn't want additional stress on that wickedly crazy top I was in. So, we lowered it straight down, very carefully. It wasn't kosher, that's for sure....

diltree said:
Rb...thats what I meant...white pine is worthless firewood, camp fire stuff.....and if i couldn't get my load line away from the primary more then ten feet, i would call mass electric and have them sleeve the primary the day before we used the crane to take apart those pines.....but we have a 78' aerial lift of conn bucket that would serve as more then enough reach to top those pines out from the road...so the crane would really just be a luxury...either way we have those down within the hour........as I'm sure you would as well ( we would be just a step ahead with the fancy equipment)

www.dillontree.com

That's cool, but why bother with a crane or bucket when the easy tree is a 15-40 minute job, and the other an hour or a tad more if the kennel is moved? He burns a lot of wood, the pine won't make the house colder.....I see no reason why the customer should pay extra for craneand bucket on a relatively straghtforward job like that.....

And, if the crane is just a luxury, how would you reach the tops from 25-35 feet away with the bucket. They are at least 85, maybe 100 feet tall.

Latest posts

Back