I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand not wanting to deal with say, countries like Nigeria but I am talking about Canada here. We export most of our stuff to the USA and import even more of yours. As for shipping I think everyone should just utilize Canada Post or in your case, USPS. Couriers like "big brown" are a huge rip-off going across borders. Also, sellers can and should always check a buyers feedback as anyone with more than one or two negatives should need to be held to account, not those with perfect feedback.

AS an ebay seller I can shed some light on one thing I noticed in your post. A seller cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer. Ebay is a buyers market. It's really seller beware. I've nearly stopped selling on ebay because of their guidelines, and they have just added another dart. Now we have to pay a percentage on the final sale price PLUS shipping. I don't make a penny on shipping, but ebay wants a part of it too?!?!?

OK I feel better. :)

AS an ebay seller I can shed some light on one thing I noticed in your post. A seller cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer. Ebay is a buyers market. It's really seller beware. I've nearly stopped selling on ebay because of their guidelines, and they have just added another dart. Now we have to pay a percentage on the final sale price PLUS shipping. I don't make a penny on shipping, but ebay wants a part of it too?!?!?

OK I feel better. :)

I'd like to see them drop the fees on shipping if the seller 'calculates the actual' charges to the buyer.

Many sellers just slap a flat fee on shipping, pay the cheapest and pocket the rest.

I agree with you that eBay has become a buyers market. It sucks.

For me as a buyer, CL is the preferred way.

As a seller, eBay is preferred. But the verbiage needs to be in the listing.

Just my $.02 .......... :blob2:

Well, that's $275 Canadian . . .

(just kidding - remember when there were big differences? Used to take a bit of math to convert the money, then from Imperial gallons to US gallons, etc.)

Philbert

I remember when your money was worth 40% more than ours. Now ours is worth a little more than yours some days. I always thought canada should just use the US dollar anyway.

Gallons is still a PIA. And the metric system is worse.:msp_scared:

AS an ebay seller I can shed some light on one thing I noticed in your post. A seller cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer. :)
Is this something new? I am certain that in the past when checking feedback I noticed both buyers and sellers giving each other negative points.
I agree with your comment about shipping, ebay's commission should apply to the sale of goods and nothing more. As another on AS mentioned though, enough sellers were charging high shipping amounts then paying actual rates and pocketing the rest that eBay was bound to notice. We have all seen listings where the item sells for $150 but the seller claims shipping of $275 or some other ridiculous amount. Its possible that guys like this that ruin it for everyone else.

The problem I have isn't with Canadians, it's with your damned postal service. I used to sell car parts, sent a starter to Canada and they took it out and destroyed it thinking it was a bomb because we left a wire on it as the buyer requested. I was NOT amused when I was notified. That auction was the last international auction I ran. :msp_angry:

AMEN!

I shipped some computer parts to Canada (motherboard, power supply, and some other parts) and they DESTROYED the whole thing because they thought it wasnt what was declared. $700 worth of items broken by customs because they thought it was something else! :bang:

Is this something new? I am certain that in the past when checking feedback I noticed both buyers and sellers giving each other negative points.
I agree with your comment about shipping, ebay's commission should apply to the sale of goods and nothing more. As another on AS mentioned though, enough sellers were charging high shipping amounts then paying actual rates and pocketing the rest that eBay was bound to notice. We have all seen listings where the item sells for $150 but the seller claims shipping of $275 or some other ridiculous amount. Its possible that guys like this that ruin it for everyone else.

Sellers haven't been able to leave negatives for a year or two now, or more?

Yes, great, punish ALL sellers with unreasonable fees-on-shipping-charges....in order to control those who abuse.......

Ebay depends on outside sellers for their business, but continue to heap abuse on them in order to try and compensate for the ongoing moral/spiritual decay and keep their business model viable. As is often the case, the good guys are paying for the antics of the bad. I greatly resent much of what they have been doing, for years now....and that is said as one who has done his fair share of buying and selling over 10+ years. SURE do wish, as do many, that a workable alternative could be created by someone. I know an antiques dealer who, along with a computer/net tech wiz, tried to create one 11-12 years ago and, ultimately, just couldn't get the start-up momentum. I've visited some alternative online sites, only to find that there are no, or maybe a few, items in a given category of interest. THAT'S the problem: If a visitor doesn't see enough of what they are looking for, they'll leave fast, and likely never come back. How, then, does an entity get enough early activity to fund growth? Perhaps, the only answer would be a large enough capital base to advertise, entice and enlist the help of the huge ranks of the unhappy and disenfranchised in order to get people there, supporting the growth....a movement, actually. Well.....take a very deep breath, if you intend to hold it until such an alternative exists. Too stinking bad.... It's about being the only real game in town, knowing it, and abusing that fact and reality.

No sense ranting on further. Not sure just how I would have handled most of the ebay problems created by integrity-challenged users, either.....but I sure as heck know that I couldn't do what they've been doing to sellers, without first saying: 'Sorry, unfortunately our business model just won't work in this climate, just as the USA Constitutional system wasn't intended, nor indeed expected, to work in an a nation too fully engulfed in deceit, greed and treasonous treachery, where the people became too busy being distracted with meaningless fluff to notice and react......' But, hey, all are given the option to be IN the world, but not OF it....so, no excuses. Let each choose their path; some to the one way, some to the other.

NOW....I think I need THIS piece of rope for some cuttin' jobs coming up:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...sspagename=ADME:B:WNAFP:US:1123#ht_612wt_1167

Last edited:
This update just in ....

That BLACK MAX saw on eBay is now at $125.89 ........... FWIW

Here is a new twist on eBay ....

I know a guy that sold a saw for a very fair price and he was up front with all the info. Buyer claimed he could not start the saw. So my guy finally tells the buyer to send the saw back. The saw that came back was NOT the one he sent!

When he confronted the buyer (via eBay messaging so they have a full record) the buyer filed a dispute. eBay sided with the BUYER, saying the seller could not provide proof that the readable serial number was in the pics included with the original listing.

Boy, this s**t stinks ....

Lesson learned here .... gonna make sure I get that one in all my listings. I recently sold a few saws and all arrived safely and in good working order.

Pics in Link

16" Echo chain saw

16" Echo chain saw - $150 (Reading,pa)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-09-11, 9:15PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16" Echo chainsaw works great

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Latest posts

Back