I saw this coming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PES+

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Uncrated a new Honda GX electric start today guess where it"s made?

Thailand

build quality YUCK
:bang:

Huh?

PEST said:
Uncrated a new Honda GX electric start today guess where it"s made?

Thailand

build quality YUCK

You gotta be Shi77in' me? There goes the town dude...

I meant

I meant fit and finish on it looks cheap plastic control panel weird chinese looking starter.

Time to find a new line of work again I reckon

Some of the HONDA GX engines have been built in Thailand for a few years now.
But be careful there is a lot of chinese copies of the GX engine out there.

Steve

I've seen a bunch of junk w/ those non-rebuildable diagionally split crankcases... Honda commodifies thier name like John Deere, Eddie Bauer, etc... probably make more on thier name than any actual product.

Chaser

It's hard

It's hard to see man because I am not the dealer. He is a friend and the local Jonsered dealer this is not a lower range engine and hard to justify 575 sell price for the way this 5.5 looks. He and I trade parts and help each other out and this is the first Thai that he has been shipped. Came in all black and looked exactly like the ones labelled Homelite that I have seen that are made in China.

I felt bad for him and we were discussung the state of small engine sales and service just last week.
:mad:

Here is a test for everybody.

One picture is a Genuine Honda Engine, the other is a chinese copy can you tell the difference?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Steve

Now

Now post a pic of the new GX-160 ES and I'll post you an IDENTICAL picture of a Chinese copy.
That is an old GX like the one we had next to the new one we unboxed today. Are you suggesting that the local Honda distributor sent him a knock off?

Last edited:
Here is a GX160 in my showroom made in Thailand
attachment.php

Here is a GX270 that's made in Japan
attachment.php

This is a picture of a Black GX160
attachment.php

Does yours look any different than this one except for no Elec Start?

Steve

The black pic is too small to tell

My point is that the manual start GX-160 made in Japan next to the electric start GX=160 from Thailand is OBVIOUS I am currently running three test chinese engines for durability and two of these look more real than the real Honda....run identical as well for 80 and 135 hrs so far

How old is the older Honda Engine? Those engines have been out for over 20 years.

He moves quite a few

I don't know....he turns them over regularly ............for all I knew the GX were made in North Carolina

Found this on on Hondas site
"In Asia, unit sales remained mostly unchanged, at 717,000 units. In April 2005, we restructured the operations of Jialing-Honda Motor Co., Ltd., a company in China that previously manufactured and sold power products and motorcycles. The company subsequently restarted its operations, concentrating solely on power products. This measure enabled us to better utilize our cost-competitive advantage, providing a solid boost to sales of products made in China and Thailand."

I read this as they can sticker them Made in Thailand even if the parts are made in China

Maybe this is the difference
I do not know where the GX manual was made but it sure looks different than the new one

Made in Japan just doesn't stand for the quality it once did? I've seen some really good quality stuff come from Taiwan and china, then again I've seen some serious garbage also.

Imagine the parts situation here. Is your Honda mower a Japan, chinses, or Thai model sir? Then the dude comes back 2 hours later with an automatic weapon. Not cool.

Rule of thumb: You can determine the quality of a piece of equipment by the number of spelling and grammer errors in their manual.

Latest posts

Back