I think I finally got some Oak!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Had some straight line winds come through my place and still in the process of getting all the house/barn/tree damage cleaned up. We've cut a good bit of wood over the years but Oak always seems to elude us. There is a fair amount of it around, just not where we cut.

When I was a kid we had a large Burr oak in a neighbors fencerow he wanted out. It was about a 4 fter and I honestly wasn't too impressed with it burn wise. It laid in a barn, on a concrete floor for 5 years before burning but wasn't nothing to brag about.

I knew by the leaves I had a few oaks along my line fence and I believe the twins the wind uprooted are oak. I didn't get any close ups today but I will tomorrow if needed. sawed great and split like a dream. I was by myself and split everything pictured in about 2 1/2 hours. Both were about 30 inches in diameter at the bottom.

The trees were on my side both they fell to my neighbors side. At first I was going to work it up on his side as he said he didn't care. The more I looked at it I decided to drag it back to my side in the hay field. Had to do it in stages as it was WAY more than the backhoe would pull. About 10 pulls later with chains, it was all on my side again.

MVC-001S_1.JPG

MVC-002S_2.JPG

MVC-003S_1.JPG

MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-005S_1.JPG

Any early guesses?

Got what was small and split loaded up and stacked in the barn this morning. I took some close up for you oak experts to see if it is indeed oak.

MVC-001S_3.JPG

MVC-002S_2.JPG

MVC-003S_1.JPG

MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

Being that this stuff was green I have to haul it to the other farm about 6 miles away so I kept the loads reasonable. There were 3 loads like this plus all the big stuff that I could not lift to the splitter. My winch started acting up and have to investigate what is up there. My just be a low battery or loose wire internally as it will raise, just not lower. Probably about 2 1/2 cord so far with a strong one left.

MVC-006S.JPG

It is pretty stuff and VERY nice to work up, especaiilly in a hay field.

MVC-007S.JPG

I did split is a little smaller as Dad might use some of this. For me, it's just something I can handle is all that is needed. I had the 4 way on and it was just throw one on and walk to get the next one thing. I also figured it would dry better if most was split up. Stacked in the wind damaged barn over there and it's about full again.

MVC-008S.JPG

Mother nature has it out for this shed. Blew half the roof off and we put it back on. Resided it and it blew it off the foundation another time. We resided it then and anchored the posts. This time it broke everything up and they totalled it out.

MVC-009S.JPG

We were going to empty it out and see about trueing it up again but my shed got hit with wind damage and I have to empty it out first. The shed pictured here has about 65 cord in it now. When full it'll hold 80.

I keep telling myself to be thankful for having more wood than space but we need mother nature to bypass us a while!

I am in SE Mo and have both smooth bark red oak and red oak that looks just like what he has split up.

I am very familiar with the smooth variety as in face first... Several years ago I was climbing a smooth red oak with my climbing trees stand on a damp day and it lost its grip on the slick bark and I fell. Fortunately I had a safety harness and just banged my face into the tree. Since then I stick to the rough variety.

Back