I think I'm over the CAD...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I almost posted this in the Chainsaw Forum but it really belongs here:

It's been a helluva ride but I think I'm through it! This is my fourth year back burning wood since I helped the ole man as a kid and I never knew how much i'd love everything about it. The part that has surprised the most is the actual "gathering" of the fuel. I initially got back into woodburning from a cost standpoint($450 to heat my house for one month was the last straw), but I've discovered I love to cut wood!

Initially, I knew I liked having a fire and keeping it going but I was worried about finding the wood and time to cut it to justify the cost of a woodfurnace. As a 9 to 5 desk jockey for the most part these days I forgot how much fun it was to get out and do the manual labor and run gas engines. I did in my younger days to get to this place. I know you guys that do it for a living might scoff and say it isn't that great, but four walls and no windows sucks in its own right too. At the end of the week, It feels great to get outdoors and do something productive that contributes to the family too. Hunting is ok but when you have a wife that doesn't like to cook deer meat that didn't work as productive long.When I cut wood it fills both requirements.

It didn't take long til the CAD set in to find the perfect saw. First was the 290 Farmboss to replace the homeowner craftsman. A sane man would have stopped there but it was too late. I happened upon the Chainsaw Forum and wasn't happy until I had a Stihl 361. Really nice saw! But the urge to feel more power was not quenched until I picked up a Dolmar 7900. You cannot buy a more powerful saw for the money! Then I kept reading about the great handling and power of the husky 346xp and on a whim I bought it when I shouldn't justifiably and it is also a really great saw! In between I picked up some nice old school jonsereds and other saws and that's where I got to here...

I bought some woods last yearly purely because I love this "sport" so much because it supports the family and I enjoy doing it. That and I think land will outperform any 401k or retirement investment in the long run. After owning the woods for the year I've weaned my saw stable down to what I need(ok,well except for the Dolmar!) and am putting that cash towards other woods toys(and the wifes kitchen...If momma ain't happy...you know how the rest goes!) Every disease runs its course I guess! Thanks for letting me ramble...(anyone know of a good stihl limbing saw for sale?:laugh:)

CAD ain't really curable, but it sounds like you're in remission. It'll come back one day when your Missus drags you into a garage sale and there's an old 100+CC monster under one of the tables.

Mark my words...

Your journey through CAD is almost identical to mine. My 2 main workhorses are a 346XP and a Dolkita 7901, along with various other saws. I am like you, in remission right now. It is only a matter of time before CAD comes back with a fury. Right now, I am saving up for a wood splitter. I think that is what caused CAD to go into remission :)

totally agree

Being 58 and having made my living in the whole tree chipping and logging business since age 21,I totally understand the cathartic nature of hard work.The sense of accomplishment,whether it be loads of chips,logs,cut and split firewood is satisfying.In the beginning,I swear that it kept me out of prison.No skidder,log loader,wood splitter.When I cut and split firewood for my OWB it's still fun. Some addictions are hard to conquer.I just bought an 084.I had to know what a saw over 100 cc's cut like.Thankfully I have a tolerant wife.I'd have to live to 100 to use the saws I alreadt have.

My CAD was pretty short lived. I bought my first chainsaw of my own in spring of 09 and by the end of that fall I had around 10. For the last year or so I have stuck to my two-saw plan: Snellerized MS361 and a muffler modded Ryobi. I could easily get by with just the MS361 but its good to have a little saw around the house and for a backup.

I love the whole process of firewood, but im getting burnt out now. Im ready to get the rest of my pile split, and stacked so I can admire my hardwork. ( I love going out back, w/ a cold one and looking, admiring and taking stock of my wood pile, Gives my warm fuzzies inside... wierd I know)

What!! No Bucket Truck? :hmm3grin2orange:

I caught myself on fleabay bidding on a $12500 bucket truck.:msp_rolleyes: Yeah I really Friggin Needed That!:msp_wink:

Yeah, I'm currently over the CAD thing also for the time being now that I have 7 saws. Six of them run only two see any action.
The list;
Husky 359 the second saw I've ever owned and was my main saw for 3 years.

Echo 440, bought to have a second saw when out in the woods. I disliked it when I first got it, a muffler mod and re-tune helped a lot.
This saw see its share of cutting time it is the lightest one I have.

MS-441 bought early last year I wanted some thing to run a 25" bar well. This saw cuts everything that the echo doesn't

Poulan 8500 bought this last year fixed it up some and it is sitting. I don't see me using it much with the 441 around

Poulan pro 525 same story as the 8500.

032 bought cheap as a project. it is cleaned dis assembled in a box it had no spark.

Homelite 150 auto my $10 flee market find. I got it running with a carb cleaning , but it doesn't idle well I'm sure it needs to be rebuilt, and could use a new bar.

So the only saws seeing any use are the Echo and the 441 The rest just now sit on the self.

I did buck and split about 2 cords this past weekend still need to stack it when it rain stops.

I had always been a one saw guy and seem to get a new saw about every 10 years. Even though they still run fine. Have never had any major trouble with a saw. A big ol Pouland 245 (1977) was the first, Pouland 3400 (1987) next, then a Husky 346xp (2001).

I found this site last summer and wasn't long before I wanted more saws.lol The old 346 is all I need (10-15 cords a year), but wanted a slightly larger saw so bought a 357xp. Then I figured I better get another 346xp before they replaced it with a new model. Are a couple more I'd like to have, but I think I'm done for now, maybe... :msp_thumbup:

( I love going out back, w/ a cold one and looking, admiring and taking stock of my wood pile, Gives my warm fuzzies inside... wierd I know)

No, very normal by my standards. Pretty sure everyone of us here does this! :cheers:

Over 100 saws and a bucket truck.....(but no job).

A few of the Poulans:

Poulanfamily2011008.jpg

The bucket truck:

FordF-350002.jpg

Also have CAD in remission. I'm just finishing up my 6th season burning wood. When I started I was a wood scrounger with a hand me down Craftsman from my FIL.

Now in 6 years, I have bought (for the pursuit of firewood):

1. All of the saws on my sig plus a Dolmar 5100 that has since been sold.
2. 18 Acres of land to gather wood and hunt.
3. Used 22 ton log splitter
4. 2007 Silverado 4x4 to replace 2wd Explorer
5. 5x10 Utility Trailer
6. 2007 Suzuki Eiger 4x4-replaced Polaris Trailblazer that wasn't up to the firewood task
7. More chains than I can carry and various mauls, wedges, axes and so forth.
8. 2 different utility trailer for behind the four wheeler.

By my estimate, I will have to burn wood for a good 80-90 years to recoup the money that I have spent in order to save money on heat.

But it is fun and I really do enjoy working in the woods and having a nice woodshed full of wood.

Since I have gotten off of the CAD, I have developed a heavy case of FAD. 9 firearms since September. But who's keeping count. I really hope not my wife.:msp_smile:

Now in 6 years, I have bought (for the pursuit of firewood):

1. All of the saws on my sig plus a Dolmar 5100 that has since been sold.
2. 18 Acres of land to gather wood and hunt.
3. Used 22 ton log splitter
4. 2007 Silverado 4x4 to replace 2wd Explorer
5. 5x10 Utility Trailer
6. 2007 Suzuki Eiger 4x4-replaced Polaris Trailblazer that wasn't up to the firewood task
7. More chains than I can carry and various mauls, wedges, axes and so forth.
8. 2 different utility trailer for behind the four wheeler.

By my estimate, I will have to burn wood for a good 80-90 years to recoup the money that I have spent in order to save money on heat.
QUOTE]

Books, it's scary how much my list looks like yours! I just picked up the old AMT gator to compliment my (three!) small wood trailers otherwise I'd have at least one more gun in my safe as well!

And I think you guys are right... I am just "in remission". That's probably a better way to say it. Just reading about the idea of finding a 100cc saw at a garage sale got my juices flowing!

Latest posts

Back