I thought this was worth a comment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrappieKeith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Over the years I have noticed ....how do I say this tactfully????
OK...they do not follow the instructions on their new furnace install.
They do not follow code and generally install their furance,stove or water furnace with their own common sence.
Then when there's issues they cut other corners to make it work the way they need it to work.

Recently we had a thread here about a guy burning down his shed due to burning wet wood and using drain pipe for a flue.
Being in the furnace business I run into all sorts of fine folks that have their own ideas about what's good wood.Had a gal the other day complaining of excessive creosote.When I asked her what they had for wood she say's"it's good wood,cut it down last thursday"!

I've also seen many a post about how do I get my stove to have longer burn times.It's a 40,000 btu output and I can only get 4 hours trying to heat 3000 s/f one said recently on another forum or the room the stove is in get's to 90 degrees and the rest of the house is cold.How can I convect heat throughout my home?

The stories go on and on and on about shortfalls during the burning process.
So I thought I'd start this thread.
When considering an appliance to heat your home you should 1st off decide how much of the home you want to heat.
Then buy the best option available.
Once you've done that the install it should be to the nuts as per it's manual.
Flues need to be of the right size and make up air which seems to be a point of contention needs to be brought in...it's code now a days.
After that it comes down to taking responsibility for putting up wood soon enough for proper curing.

Lastly learning how big to build a fire is something you'll need to do.As heat loads change so should you fire size. A fire burns all of the time and sure some of the units out there have auto dampering systems,but you can only damper them so much.
To keep an efficient fire you'll need to burn hot.Well, a small hotter fire is more efficient than a large smoldering fire and on mild days you can still keep your home warm without burning liquid fuel if you learn how to build a smaller fire without making excessive creosote.

I also see guys talking about flue gas temps via exterior t stats.Taking a flue gas temp should be done inside the flue preferably dead center of the pipe...to be accurate that is.
If you are seeing 400 degree pipe temps the flue gas temps is way higher.
Condensation starts at about 250 degrees....so running stack temps too high is just waisted heat, but then again maybe that's how the unit is designed to operate. Remember we must stay with manufactures reccomended settings...code says so.

Heating code say's a lot of things and it's there to keep us safe.Installing your appliance within code say's that you have met the minimum requirements. Notice the word minimum.
There was a day that folks did not have much for code....many homes burnt down. The insurance companies as a whole pushed for it. In effect they shut down the entire industry until the feds got involved to require these codes.So now all of these United States of America have a heating code.

If there is any doubt there should be a liscensed contractor involved to inspect your install. Not that they know everything either, but if you look around to bonafide contractors you should be able to find one near you that does know what will keep you safe.

To this day I still see folks installing high heat appliances to plastic ducting or they do not have proper clearence to combustibles or they have over sized flues and to make matters worse these flues are brick and exterior to the home.

This post is not a rant, more over it's just my way of trying to get you to think about making the proper decision on your next heater and that when you do get it to have it installed properlly or modifying your current install to meet the correct specs.

We all have seen where people have had some serious issues and negative expierences. Let us not be the next.

So it's Fri...and the weekend is here. I'll be loading up my Big Jack and hitting the lakes. The tullibees are bitting and my smoker is looking to get fired up!
08iceseason601.jpg

08iceseason648-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well that fixes that! Now we can shut down the forum, LOL:)

Just kidding, you are correct about the shortcuts and paying for it, also about people burning wet wood.

As seasoned wood burners we know most of this stuff,but I still see vets of 30 years or better making mistakes with newer style more efficient equipment.
My old stove worked fine in this 10"x12" flue...now this new one makes nothing but creosote. He doesn't seem to know he dropped from 1000 degree flue gas temps to 400 and that his flue is way oversized....but it worked fine on the old one he'll say. Even old dogs can learn new tricks....it they are willing.

Great post Keith. Good reading and alot of stuff for someone to ponder about and hopefully the persons brain will cycle and pop out a question..

it's good wood,cut it down last thursday........lol
Heck I just put in a daka furnace out in the shop 3 weeks ago. We only needed something to take off the chill, 2000sq and the ice melts off the tractor with no problems. Never had a wood burner before but i was planning on something 5 years ago when i started gathering all the wood. 1 pile gone that either had to be burnt or tossed on a bon fire and in 2 days I hope I can finally make it to the good stuff... of course it starts getting warmer outside.. just my luck..

ok....we all agree with you....so, when you gonna invite us up for some of that fish you're cooking?

Great post Keith. Good reading and alot of stuff for someone to ponder about and hopefully the persons brain will cycle and pop out a question..

it's good wood,cut it down last thursday........lol
Heck I just put in a daka furnace out in the shop 3 weeks ago. We only needed something to take off the chill, 2000sq and the ice melts off the tractor with no problems. Never had a wood burner before but i was planning on something 5 years ago when i started gathering all the wood. 1 pile gone that either had to be burnt or tossed on a bon fire and in 2 days I hope I can finally make it to the good stuff... of course it starts getting warmer outside.. just my luck..

:agree2:

Someone get CK for me.

....geeze louise...all of this love....makes me wanna grab my rod and get it bent....c'mon now guys I'm talkin fishin here....
Invite...who's needs an invite....you ain't here yet???????
I had 8 guys last weekend...heard that 7 caught personal bests...1 had an 11" 2 lb.gill....what a pig!

I'm glad to see some of you guys are hitting that link back to Yukon.
I know after 13 years of being here that we have some pretty happy customers.
Just talked to a guy...sold him some rope gaskets for a 32 year old Husky.
He's still on the same 500 gallons of oil that he bought when he bought the furnace...talk about one happy camper.
Then again I talked to a guy earlier today that had no make up air,draft speed way out of whack and he was burning wet wood...and hour later he understands what he has to do.He's been burning it this way for 2 years now and was ready to toss it. I believe that if he follows what I told him to do he'll be in that happy camper column like most of our customers are.

I've also been in contact with folks where they thought the wanted a new furnace...had some other make ,but I helped them get their install modified and the operation is much better.
Who knows we may have earned their business down the road.
The point is guys that we need to make sure our installs are right for them to preform the best that they can ....no matter what we are operating make wise.
We also should have the right tool for the job...screw drivers just don't do the job of a hammer most days and vice-versa.

Why is it on Fridays my attention for work goes to crap.....all I can think about is setting the hook!
I've got 6 more guys this weekend & 2 of them are rookies...should be a hoot!
08iceseason615.jpg

08iceseason619.jpg

Here's a pic of a guy that just learned how to work the water column with his new flasher.
Do ya think he's hooked?
1186.jpg

Last edited:
....if ya gotta change then you should.
I see guys doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome....same thing while fishing.
The bite get's tough and they go home skunked while others do well.
Here's Sunday....many guys were getting skunked.
There's 50 in that pile.
2010icefishing200.jpg

Keith, you can add one more happy customer to your list. I've had a fire in the super jack since sunday and couldn't be happier. Was gone 11 hours today still had a nice bed of coals when I got home and the house was just as warm as when I left this morning. Right now its 4 degrees outside and 74 inside, the draft blower is cycling about 50% on 50% off so I know theres a lot more heat left in it if I ever needed more. The daka would have been struggling to get the house to 65 and probably burning more wood. I can already see that there will be no reason to run the electric furnace any more unless I am gone for a better part of the day.

That's just awesome to hear! It appears your doing everything right and I commend you for following the directions which is really what this thread was about.
That's a pretty good heat load you have there and to see you keeping the house to 74 is saying something especially for better than 10 hours at a crack.
I'd bet if you set the draft blower so that you kept the house at 68 you could get 18-20 hours of heat from a load with the temps they are now outside for you.

We had a gal working here for awhile. She had a Daka....when she saw our furnaces she bought one. She said her 4 hour burn times were for the birds...took her 3 month old Daka back down to Forrest Lake and booted it off of her truck in their yard.
She said something about she felt about them as she was doing it with a full range of explitives...I should mention she rides a Harley and sports tatooes.
She's moved on now, but I'll never forget her colorful descriptions of venting her frustrations at them.LOL

Last edited:
We had a gal working here for awhile. She had a Daka....when she saw our furnaces she bought one. She said her 4 hour burn times were for the birds...took her 3 month old Daka back down to Forrest Lake and booted it off of her truck in their yard.
She said something about she felt about them as she was doing it with a full range of explitives...I should mention she rides a Harley and sports tatooes.
She's moved on now, but I'll never forget her colorful descriptions of venting her frustrations at them.LOL

I can relate.. Even though i only purcashed the darn thing for out in the shop and its main use was to "take the chill off" it sure goes through some wood. Ive managed to get 7 hr burn time out of it- just barely...Got out at 5:30 in the morning and there are some cools left but ya gotta start with the small stuff to get it going again. Of course its a shop and many other thing effect the efficiancy.. All the walls are insulated. Both garage doors are insulated.. but they are still doors. All the windows are doublepained. This summer we will be putting blow in insulation into the attic and also going to re-do the flu. Got draft problems until it gets warmed up.. Atleast iam learning on what needs to be done.

7 hours ain't bad at all but how many square foot are you heating and how much wood do ya have to stuff in her is another deal altoghether.

You must not have enough make up air or a cold flue if drafting is an issue.
I'm assuming your wood is good and dry.Your flue may be too short as well.
Your burn times with a Jack of the same btu output should be at least 30-40% longer.
No reburn and little heat exchange surface area would be the difference.Do you have a barometric draft regulator in the flue?
I know it sounds crazy wanting to elliviate the drafting but if you do not have enough make up air for the fire ....adding it then setting drafts should able you to get longer burn times.
After that there is no place to go to get more heat out of that same wood unless you get a furnace that is capable of making it.

I think we estimated it at about 2000sqf. The 1st row of wood i have been chuckin in is stuff that has to be burnt or be tossed onto a bonfire. Its in the 3-5 year old range. Dried out and light so getting rid of it into the burner is just basicly just gettin rid of it. Ive been mixing in the good ash and elm to help but gotta do something with the junk stuff 1st. I know were getting air is getting into the shop from the garage doors at the bottom since you can see a little daylight coming through. Right now on the back of the daka is black walled pipe with 2 90 elbows to stainless doublewalled and through the wall kit. Outside of the back of the shop is a tee, with a 36" stainless up to the cap. So right there is a major concern. This summer the primary goal is to run flu pipe up the back of the roof up to the ridge cap so we can get a better draft. Its my parents place that i live on. Originely the shop had part of the roof that caught fire from the previous owner, so everything has been re-done. Heres a couple pictures to put everything into perspective.

Caitlin_Josh_flowers%20005.jpg

Caitlin_Josh_flowers%20002.jpg

homestead.JPG

Latest posts

Back