I Threw My Saw Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slowp I can't believe it myself but after reading and posting to your and Twinkles spill. Today I was working up a 36" oak I'd cut and it fell in the briar's and vines, so me and the old 084 went in to finish the deed.

Needless to say things went wrong, got in a bind and 0ld Granny kicked back and threw me in the briar's and vines which where about head high. I landed flat on my old bunkin in one of those controlled sit downs, no damage done but I disappeared from site for awhile. My helpers looked like squirrels running up the log hollaring and looking to see if I was alright. When they got to where I was laying in the briar's laughing like the fool I am they called me nasty names they thought I was hurt or something. Just thought I'd share with you so you would know it happens to the best of us sometimes. And yes I thought I had it cleaned out around where I was good enough but oh well.

Yes. I thought I broke my nose a while back when I did a face plant. There was blood. My new hardhat with the crank suspension had flown off and my nose landed on it. I went back to wearing the old hardhat that usually stays on during acrobatics.

Faceplants are a bad thing, unless there's a lot of snow. Then they are funny.

Smiling Possum, hope I didn't curse you to do such a thing!

Fire lookouts used to have phones in them, and that was what this line was for at one time.
We used to have those fire towers around here when I was a kid. I always thought that would have been a cool job. Now the forest service uses planes when the fire conditions are high.

Glad you're okay slowp.

I threw a saw once in anger and it did not like it. I had hoofed on snowshoes about a mile into the woods dragging a sled full of tools to cut firewood and when I got there the saw would not start. Pull after pull yielded nothing but frustration. I got mad and threw the thing into a thick clump of brush and then saw in horror as the brush threw the saw back at me, bar first! I got out of the way but I learned my lesson. Start the bleeping saws at the road and make sure they run!

I am also a professional at the break sit down. I never fall when cutting, it is always a planned sit down for a little rest. Yeah, that's the ticket, that's what I do. :)

That phone line is of archeological significance. It also has no copper in it or it probably would have disappeared already. They used bare wire that is like what we use for electric fences. The wire was hung on insulators that were attached to trees. I believe they used to hire at least one guy with a pack horse who maintained the phone lines. They usually followed the trails to the lookouts.

There used to be a phone in the wilderness. It was nailed to a tree on the edge of a meadow.

They were the crank phones. That's all I know except it sure creates a nuisance. :dizzy: But I am old enough to have been around when the lookouts used the phones once in a while. They mostly used radios and it would be total radios now, on what lookouts remain.

Latest posts

Back