I Threw My Saw Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
the hill. It was me or Twinkle. Twinkle was not running at the time. I was walking down off the road to cut an antenna/roof bashing leaning hemlock.
All of a sudden, both feet were grabbed and I started to topple onto my face so it was jettison Twinkle, which suddenly felt quite light and easy to fling out of the way. Then I was playing the Wii Balance Bubble for real. I managed to fight it and topple over backwards which is preferable and usually does not hurt any body parts when done upslope.

The culprit? An old phone line which blended in well with the ferns and moss.
It had me by both ankles. Fire lookouts used to have phones in them, and that was what this line was for at one time. It was no longer hanging up in the air though.

I do not understand the reasoning that brown spots occur at times like this. For me, everything tenses up. I have a leg that I injured a few years ago, and when I have an almost face plant, the calf muscle cramps up and OWIE.

Well, there was talk about Why Would Anyone Ever Throw A Saw. You just heard why.

Oh, Twinkle survived her fling just fine and took care of the hemlock.

Whew. Glad to hear you're ok! Thats always a scary split second when you lose control. I wish there was some way to train this because when it happens its tough to keep your wits about you!!

Good to here your ok, saw's are strong and replaceable.

Poor Twinkle she may need a checkup, You never know she may be traumatized and carry over into deep dark depression.

Glad to hear that you are ok. You could have been hurt bad and then who would look after Twinkle.

About 20 years ago, standing on a stump, reaching up and out to cut a branch free (yeah, I know stupid), it snapped back and smashed me in the mouth. It felt like Tyson had tagged me. I could sense my peripheral vision closing in as I was beginning to lose consciousness, but I had enough left to toss that old XL12, still coasting down from full rpm, away from me. I ended up on my hands and knees with the Homie about six feet away from me still idling. Noted blood dripping onto the back of my hand, which was on the ground. To make a long story short, now my teeth are all the same color, all the same length, all pointing the same way, and when they bother me, I take them out and put them into my pocket.

Yes, throwing the power saw is a good thing to do. it kind of happens even if you dont intend to when you forget how to put one foot on front of the other which happens all the time in the woods.

Good thing your ok!

I've thrown my saw so many times it's silly, finally got tired of buying parts and knocked it off. Still tempting at times, nothing like a bad brush fit - Sam

I've tossed one or two saws, for much the same reason. Funny, I don't seem to remember falling down so much when I was younger!

:cheers:

For me, the time seems to stretch out as I am going down. Seems a long time from "oops" to "ouch". did it again just the other day and I am now at the age that when down, I check to see if anything it broken before I try to move :).

Tossign saw can be good or bad. Several years ago I was working on top of abrush pile bucking a log. Right leg disappeared down a hole and I tossed the saw - immediately wondered if I was going to wish I had it back to cut myself out of the trap. fortunately I didn't.

Harry K

Did you throw the saw downhill, uphill, or sidehill? Did you make out a report in triplicate for your supervisor? Did you mark the danger area and the approach path with the proper danger flagging? Did you measure the amount of soil compaction and plant damage and document it properly? Are you current on your certification to self-medicate?

Sorry...I spent some time with some of your people yesterday and I guess it rubbed off. :)

QUIT FALLING DOWN !

It turned into a controlled sit down. Tin pants are a good thing. They are like a thin layer of padding. A controlled sit down is a skill. If you do it well, and there is somebody there to see, you might pull out a cigarette, or chew, or munchies and look bored after plopping down--look like it wasn't a controlled sit down, but a planned sit down.

To pull off the planned sit down theme, I'd have to say something about the throw. Like, "It is more efficient to throw your saw in the direction of travel than to expend extra energy packing it." I need a formula like the E=MC squared to really make that line work. :)

Back