I took the leap and bought a Husky 450e

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullpower_65

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just joined AS but I've been reading these forums past few months while researching my chainsaw purchase. I cut a few cords of hard/softwood each year. I am also cleaning up the hurricane damage on my 7 acre cottage lot - hundreds of trees are down, mostly softwood up to about 18 inches diameter.

I have access to my Dad's Homelite Super Mini VI, which is better-suited to cutting bread. The unpleasant experience of using it convinced me to resist the temptation of buying a small or cheapy saw when I got my own. Among the good names, I shortlisted Stihl, Husky and Jonsered.

When I built log homes 20 years ago, I used Stihls and liked them. I thought they were smooth and powerful. But when I went shopping, my local Stihl dealer failed the interview. My local Husky/JR dealer on the other hand was excellent. As a bonus, they're ten minutes away from my house.

A few months back, I used my brother-in-law's 254XP and I was instantly a Husky fan. I don't have a tree that will challenge that machine. I also don't have the $800 CAD I'd need to lay down for it. A friend has a Husky 55, which he uses for junking maple stovewood. His only complaints were it can be hard to start and could use a bit more power for his needs.

The 455s were above my budget of $500 CAD after tax. I've read lots of good things about the 350 so I talked to three local dealers and they all told me it was discontinued and replaced by the 450. The 55 is still available for about the same price as the 450.

I came back to this great site and in general I found the 450e and similar new Huskies are not recommended. My friend thinks his 55 needs a primer, which the 450 has. The 450 is just slightly lighter and has 0.2 less hp but more torque and a 500 rpm higher redline. As we all know, the 55 has metal in many places where the 450 has plastic.

I was torn: go with the old but proven 55 or take a leap with the new, unproven but innovative 450e? Well in the end, the gimmicks and the feel of the 450e got me. I know metal beats plastic but I'm not a professional user and I liked some of the added features of the 450e: primer, decompression, visible fuel level, vibration iso, etc. The 55 seems wider than the 450, which may just be perception. The 55 was also slightly front-heavy with the stock bar & chain.

I know most of the members here will tell me I made a mistake on the 450 and that is quite possibly true. But I've now had a chance to try it and I'm so-far very much impressed. I've worked it for a few weekends cutting soft/hardwood. It has started on the first pull every time, cold or hot. There is practically zero vibration on the handles. It devoured the biggest hardwood I'll ever need to cut (20 inch maple), holding its revs nicely with the 18-inch bar buried.

With all the plastic and gadgets, my opinion could change in time, but for now I'm happy with my decision. I'm dying to try it beside my friend's 55. Perhaps the 55 will win but maybe it will be close?

Has anyone one else taken the leap on a new 450e or similar Husky? If so, what's your opinion? I'm interested to know how they're holding up with use. Thanks!

Last edited:
they scare the :censored: out of me!

Glad you got a saw that your happy with! But don't worry in a few weeks staying on this site you'll have a garage full of saws that never get used or are not needed.
I started with a small Stihl 180 and am very happy with it. Just recently I got a great deal on a new Solo 644.
Please God let it stop here! :laugh:

One further advice. Don't let anybody tell you your saw is not enough!

7sleeper

Fullpower.65

First off welcome to the site! Many wonderful members here to answer most questions.i am glad that you are happy with your saw. Be careful that you do not catch the dreaded "CAD". If you happen to catch this be careful. The next thing you know is that a Stihl 361 will follow you home.Enjoy the site, Ken

Welcome aboard!

Good luck with your new purchase. I've owned the 455 for 3+ years and it has treated me very well. I would have never know it was a bad saw if not for AS.:chatter: I now have a 7900 for the big stuff but use the trusty 455 all the time.

For your described needs the 450e will be fine. :rock:

Thanks! I also have qQuestions about break in.

Thanks to all who have responded so quickly - you (and the 450) are saving me from a case of buyer's remorse!

Question: I removed the spark plug as soon as I brought it home from the dealer. After running less than a minute, the electrode etc. were a shade too white for my comfort. I decided to mix my oil at about 48:1 during break in. It works fine but is this a good idea? The manual or dealer mentioned no break in period. Do I need to do anything different for the first while? If so, how long?

PS: my neighbour is clearing some trees with his old Poulan Pro yesterday and his saw was giving him trouble. I offered to help and I felled two trees before he got his saw started. He tried my Husky and is now convinced he should own one too. Another convert!

Thanks to all who have responded so quickly - you (and the 450) are saving me from a case of buyer's remorse!

Question: I removed the spark plug as soon as I brought it home from the dealer. After running less than a minute, the electrode etc. were a shade too white for my comfort. I decided to mix my oil at about 48:1 during break in. It works fine but is this a good idea? The manual or dealer mentioned no break in period. Do I need to do anything different for the first while? If so, how long?

PS: my neighbour is clearing some trees with his old Poulan Pro yesterday and his saw was giving him trouble. I offered to help and I felled two trees before he got his saw started. He tried my Husky and is now convinced he should own one too. Another convert!

I think your saw was not run long enough to get a accurate look at the way she was set up. As for 48:1 that really is not going to make any difference. Good luck with the new saw run a few tanks through it and then check the plug again. It should be fine.

Plug color on newer engines....

Spark plug color may no longer be the "tell all" barometer. Various posts on AS have indicated that the newer engines sound and appear leaner than the old designs.

Congrats on the new saw!!!

Some pictures

Attached are a few pics as requested:

1. The 450e
2. The plug after about a half dozen tanks at 48:1
3. An example of the work I have ahead...

Good choice, use it and enjoy it.

If it's running fine I wouldn't be too concerned about the plug color. As this is one of Husky's newer endeavors replacing the tried and true 350, I'm sure we'd all like updates on the performance and your impressions as you get more time on the saw.

Good Luck and Take Care

PS: my neighbour is clearing some trees with his old Poulan Pro yesterday and his saw was giving him trouble. I offered to help and I felled two trees before he got his saw started. He tried my Husky and is now convinced he should own one too.

It's good to have a friendly neighbor with the same saw - access to parts when the store is closed.

Looks like from your photos that you will be able to give your saw a fair trial. I think you will be happy with it.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back