I wanna Muff Mod my 038 Super!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandnational

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings all,

from reading all the great posts about muffler mods here, I decided I want to give it a try.

First things first, If I take off the stock muffler of my 038 super and open it up, will I need to get a new gasket to make a tight seal up against the head? I'm not sure if there's even a gasket there in the first place...

Secondly, will I have to adjust the carb to compensate for the easier breathing on the exhaust side?

Finally, do you think it's even worth modding a muffler for this saw? Will I see some decent gains?

Thanks all!

Greetings all,

from reading all the great posts about muffler mods here, I decided I want to give it a try.

First things first, If I take off the stock muffler of my 038 super and open it up, will I need to get a new gasket to make a tight seal up against the head? I'm not sure if there's even a gasket there in the first place...

Secondly, will I have to adjust the carb to compensate for the easier breathing on the exhaust side?

Finally, do you think it's even worth modding a muffler for this saw? Will I see some decent gains?

Thanks all!

Your saw should have much bigger exhaust port in muffler than the
post OSHA muffler saws. So gains will be much less than pre OSHA saws.

Your exhaust gasket is the same on all Stihl pro saws from 034 to 660
I have reused gaskets, unless I put a new PC kit on saw.

TT

This is what I suspected...it has the "waffle" style muffler on it...

Compared to a new ms390, it's wide open.

Sorry to waste the board's time

This is what I suspected...it has the "waffle" style muffler on it...

Compared to a new ms390, it's wide open.

Sorry to waste the board's time

Are about 8 diff mufflers for 038.

Thats what I'm doing here, killing time :)

TT

Last edited:
The 038 actually had a "triple port" muffler cover available from the factory. Don't know how hard it would be to find one.

Found one just the other day... in a pawnshop, on a saw I didn't want to buy. Tried to get 'em to trade me a good single-port muffler and some cash for it, but no go. Ah, well. Hadda try.

I have four different 038 mufflers on my saws. All are very east to open up, even the the early 038 muffler with the tiny outlet.
Pull the front off the muffler and open up the outlet under the screen. Then drill some holes out the front of the muffler. If it has a baffle inside bend it, drill it or remove it depending what kind it is.
Most of the 038 mags here have triple ports and and breathe just fine. I have seen a triple port with a small side outlet though. It had to be dremelled.

Al.

Greetings all,

Will I see some decent gains?

Thanks all!

DO IT!
You'll love it!
I did two of mine, have to learn somehow?

moda3.JPG

I think I have an original triple port muffler NIB laying around here in my mountains of Stihl ****. Let me know if you are interested and I will start digging through it. Also, no promises as I'm not positive. It will not be cheap nor expensive either.

Latest posts

Back