i want it all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slfd721

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok so ive dont a pretty nice muffler mod to my ms290 but i want more out of it! :hmm3grin2orange: i want to pull ribbons of wood out of a log. what other mods are there, intake? bar and chain? motor?

ive looked on ebay and found a "big bore" kit which turns it from a 46mm to a 47mm. Does that extra mm really give it a big boost?

ive looked on ebay and found a "big bore" kit which turns it from a 46mm to a 47mm. Does that extra mm really give it a big boost?

Upgrading to MS310 47mm would not give that much boost you would be better off to go to a MS390 P&C kit. The 039-MS390 is 49mm which will give the boost you are looking for. About the same or just a few more dollars than the 47mm. Someone will be along to tell you to get a MS440 or 460.
Shep

ok so ive dont a pretty nice muffler mod to my ms290 but i want more out of it! :hmm3grin2orange: i want to pull ribbons of wood out of a log. what other mods are there, intake? bar and chain? motor?

Wish I had the confidence to mod my saws.
As far as the ribbons of wood. All my cutting for 40 years has been hardwood. Always got chips. This year the drought took one of my loblolly pines, so I proceeded to remove it from the yard. When those ribbons of wood began streaming out of the saw I thought something was wrong, and stopped to check things over. Evedently it's the wood, not the saw that causes those ribbons.:laugh:

ah so the softer wood produce ribbons and hard wood produce chips got it and they have a full 390 upgrade kit for that saw? or you mean buy the saw itself?

i found a 49mm big bore kit for a ms361 (so it says) would it still fit the ms290 crank case? and what else would i need to do to it

i found a 49mm big bore kit for a ms361 (so it says) would it still fit the ms290 crank case? and what else would i need to do to it

The ms361 is a whole different saw, that won't work.
You can look fer a piston & cyl fer a ms390. They are a direct bolt on, but not worth the $$ if the saw is runnin good. There is allot of room fer improvement in the ms290.

Someone will be along to tell you to get a MS440 or 460.
Shep
Yes they will... oh wait, that's me... get a 660 for good measure

The ms361 is a whole different saw, that won't work.
You can look fer a piston & cyl fer a ms390. They are a direct bolt on, but not worth the $$ if the saw is runnin good. There is allot of room fer improvement in the ms290.

i 100% agree, if theres nothing wrong with your stock top end then i wouldnt get rid of it, id just have it ported by a reputable builder and watch er fly

haha i wish i could afford a 660 but where would i go to have it ported or how hard is it to do yourself thanks for all the helps fellas

Remove your fuel cap, throw away the 290 and slide a 046 under old cap, installed cap. Wala, more out of a 290....:msp_smile:

I have to agree with others in that if your 029 is running good just run it. You could put a better chain on if your running the stock chain and you could go to a 8 tooth spur if your clutch drum is set up for that. I just got done putting the Baileys 039 kit in my 029 and it is awesome! I ran 6 to 7 tanks of fuel through it last weekend and it was a kick in the pants. Was able to play with the throttle cutting hard oak. I will be running the 18" bar but am now also going to get a 25" to switch over for bigger trunks. I have no doubts that I will have enough motor to run that length of bar. Oiling might be an issue though. Anyway good luck with whatever you decide, and if you do a search there are some really good threads about playing with the 029.

OK so mod saws are fun no matter what brand or size. For the OP, the result of pulling ribbons from the wood is a fun thing but it comes from cutting through some crotches or with the grain. Do not get me wrong you can get really BIG chips, long chips, and cut super fast if you try some different chain sharpening. I get some strange chips from hand file dressing chains, kind of a happy accident. I have both mod saws and stockers. Many times it comes down to the chain, if your cutting soft wood go try a square chisel chain, you'll forget about wanting ribbons when you see how fast you go through! I would try one anyway... Hardwood or soft. More power and a saw wound out to the moon sounds great but your chain is where it is!

If you really want a boost in performance, buy an 80cc or larger saw. If you want a big grin, get a big saw. There's no replacement for displacement.

Latest posts

Back