I want it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple, he puts his wife in the dump and does the work himself, anyone stops and asks, she just tells them that he is a contractor and she is monitoring his work. All is good. Hell you don't even need a dump, a regular pickup will do just fine.

Guys your forgetting that for every "worker" you need 3 in the truck!

A couple of years ago I never looked for downed trees as I drove. After reading this forum for a while I find myself doing just as you are doing. Looking at trees and downed trees and wishing I had them. I have my eyes on a large downed oak. I keep saying one day I will stop and ask the property owner if I can take it. First, I need to set up my trailer so I can load the logs a bit easier. The main trunk is huge. Not sure how I would handle it.

I have noticed a neighboring cattle and grain farmer dragging lots of nice oak logs to a central open location to burn it just to get rid of it. It was dead and down and now is well charred but did not burn right, probably too wet when he loosely piled it up. I bet he would welcome someone willing to remove it from his property.

I, too, am stricken with the sickness. I have nearly driven off the road too many times to count while scanning for dead & down. Two years ago, after an ice storm, I spotted a fresh break about 30 ft. up in an oak. Parked the car and walked off the road thru the brush. Bingo! Pulled about 1/4 cord out. Nice, solid black oak. My friends ask how I find this stuff. My answer? "Not by watching the road."

I, too, am stricken with the sickness. I have nearly driven off the road too many times to count while scanning for dead & down. Two years ago, after an ice storm, I spotted a fresh break about 30 ft. up in an oak. Parked the car and walked off the road thru the brush. Bingo! Pulled about 1/4 cord out. Nice, solid black oak. My friends ask how I find this stuff. My answer? "Not by watching the road."
lol. thats not really a safe way to drive!!!! lol.

(I'm no better) lol. :lol::cheers:

Couple years ago we had some tornadoes hit about 2 hours from here, and I went down to help clean up. HUGE oaks were ripped up and thrown around. Man, I wish I had lived closer - I would have been stocked for years if I wanted. It was a mess down there.

Back