I want to be a better climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJohn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I want to be as good as yuall. Teach me how to be a faster more efficient climber. What gear do I need. What techniques should I use. How do you take a really big trees down in 500 little pieces in one day? What am I missing.

My Gear

Butter fly saddle
one 9 foot lanyar
one 20 foot lanyard with grillon
3 friction savers includeing one rope guide.
1 250 foot climbing line
2 150 foot climbing lines
1 120 foot climbing line
1 100 foot climbing line
1 200 foot climbing line
1 150 static line
1 120 foot fly non spliced
about 20 locking biners
one tandem pulley
two small double pulleys
handfull small cmi single pulley both styles
handfull assorted loop runners
One lock jack
One frog ???
Three thowlines with ten oz balls.
Two captive biners
Two hrc tress cords
Handfull of nylon dbl braid cords
one zubat
one ecrin hard hat
one husky hard hat with muffs
three testicles
8 oz throw ball on small keychain biner
two figure eights
one micro ascender
one kong dbl ascender
one petzl handled ascender
one prussic cord or secured footlock

Well, you'd probably be a 'little' faster if you didn't use all of that gear at one time going up.

:D

Jack

Is that trick not use it all at once. I was just listing what was available and on hand.

Probably one of the only places on the planet that humility gets confused with disguised low self estime is AS. Go for it, talk it and then tomorrow push to go beyond it all in the art of 'it'. Ya!

Jack:blob2:

Can't argue with what god gave ya. Use what ya got and make the best of it.

I have all that good stuff as well its just not mine that is companie owned. The third one is right next to one on right.

does the co you work for supply a special vehicle to cart all the gear':confused:

You know they don't I wish they would though. I get moved around so much and hate haveing to transfer that much gear over another truck at the last minute. I am usually with the same chip truck everyday but there is no room on it for all my crap. I usually drive out a bucket or pickup with stumpgrinder and its always something different. Lately I decided not break everything out. Most of it stays in my personal truck and if need something that oh well I make due.

Originally posted by BigJohn
You know they don't I wish they would though. I get moved around so much and hate haveing to transfer that much gear over another truck at the last minute. I am usually with the same chip truck everyday but there is no room on it for all my crap. I usually drive out a bucket or pickup with stumpgrinder and its always something different. Lately I decided not break everything out. Most of it stays in my personal truck and if need something that oh well I make due.

Over qualified people are always in that state, until they really get it's time to march to their own drum. Dah,:D , your time has come young man!

Jack:cool:

I want to be as good as yuall. Teach me how to be a faster more efficient climber. What gear do I need. What techniques should I use. How do you take a really big trees down in 500 little pieces in one day? What am I missing.

Well this proves my point that you believe that you are on that different level of climbing than us mere mortals.

Look at this
And then compare it to this

I strive to be the second one, that might help.

Next, yuall should be writtin one of two ways, you all or yall. One way is yankee talk, and the other is redneck/hick. Pick one side, noone likes someone who is lukewarm.

My gear:
Ness worksadle with "Ditty Bag"
18' Wire core lanyard with ascender adjust.
14' rope lanyard with VT adjustor
200' Blue Streak Climbing rope
200' 1/2" Super Braid
200' Saftey Blue for rigging
200' 5/8" Stable braid
200' 3/4" Stable braid
180' Black Widow
75' Saftey Pro
(2) 50' Saftey Pro
Several micro pulleys for slack tenders
Numerous Petzel Tri Acts
15 Omega Screw Gate Aluminum
10 Steel Biners
12-15 spider legs
30 or so loopies of various lengths and diameters
25 1" nylon slings
Various pulleys for rigging up to a 3/4" steel block, down to a 5/8" aluminum
Big Shot
Pole Saw
Probably 5 friction savers
1 Rope guide
Porty III
6:1 MA setup with 110 feet of KM111 1/2" (2500SWL, 25000 MBS)
5 or so throwlines with bags ranging from 8-16 OZ (Lost the 10oz though)
100' or so left of tress cord material (sta set)
Zubat
Petzel Brain bucket
2 Sthil Hard Hats
2 testicals and associated gear
2 8's (one deaf, one with ears)
1 ATC
1 CMI closed shell ascender
Pantin
Rigging Software (rarely use :rolleyes:, only for playin with)
Dell Laptop for keeping up with info
Arborist Site to keep current
Books! keeps you thinking
Spikes (rarely used)
(Several) 31/2 Ton shackles
Ear Plugs by the box

All I can think of right now.

I rarely use anywhere near all of this, or take it with me to the job

see what mean why are climbing on a 3/4 inch or 5/8 rope? I am not talking riggging I am talking climbing. How the F is a bull rope going to help? That would build up legs footlocking I guess.

see what mean why are climbing on a 3/4 inch or 5/8 rope? I am not talking riggging I am talking climbing. How the F is a bull rope going to help? That would build up legs footlocking I guess.

AH see I aint on that level.

I have to lower the wood I climb up there to remove, not blast it with my phaser into pixy dust.

Rigging is one of the more important climber skills, right after safe climbing. Speed is a distant 3rd IMO. Who cares if you are fast if you drop a piece of deadwood on a car or through a roof?

dude.gif

Originally posted by Lumberjack
AH see I aint on that level.

I have to lower the wood I climb up there to remove, not blast it with my phaser into pixy dust.

Rigging is one of the more important climber skills, right after safe climbing. Speed is a distant 3rd IMO. Who cares if you are fast if you drop a piece of deadwood on a car or through a roof?

"Speed kills Dell !":D

yeah im done working for anyone but myself,and a few others that are hard core for the reason your saying,ill admit i hate climbing if its not my job,actually i hate climbing most of the time but i can do it,line clearing climbings like working on a car assembly line one after another,packing and unpacking gear is a real drag IMO.i think you should just work for your self bj but thats easy for me to say. its a struggle starting out but isnt getting up each morning to wages??

Latest posts

Back