I want to improve my climbing rig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who in the world is Aerial Mason? :alien2:

Aerial Arborist. He was a bit controversial in a few of his posts, and became notorious at AS for some of his methods, videos, and commentary. In one case, he installed some concrete patch of some sort to a tree, and was roundly ridiculed, hence the derogatory association with "Aerial Mason".

BTW: I think you are getting a bit too particular about what rope you are using. The job of "tree climber" is dirty, dangerous, and requires a remarkable amount of versatility. If using one particular "ideal" rope is that important to you, I suspect that you will not find very much satisfaction with the job, regardless of the brand or type of rope that you finally settle on. Similar (but not quite so nice) comments from others in this thread are probably trying to tell you the same thing.

Myself, I will climb on any rope that comes to hand. I have my favorite (Velocity, 10mm), but I have acquired a bunch of good ropes of many different styles. My only requirement is that it be strong and appropriate for the job. I try real hard to avoid climbing on a 9/16" bull rope, and I am not very fond of Arborplex. Although 1/2" Arborplex isn't really a bad rope, either.

You will never know if you like a rope by hanging on it at the store.

No, but I'll know how it knots if I tie a knot in it in the store! If I buy a rope I don't like I'll be stuck with a rope I don't like!!

Why would I buy a rope I don't like knowing that I'd just be stuck with a rope I don't like?!

You need to work it and brake it in. Just buy a arborsite rope and learn drt first before you go srt.

I already know SRT, and I've worked on double ropes, I've just never tried body thrusting. I mean really man, this #### ain't rocket science.

You asked everyones opinion and you just keep doig what you want anyway.

You know what they say about opinions; Don't ya?!

Why did you bother asking?

Are you trying to trip me up here or what? Because it really seems like you're picking at little bits of #### hoping to get some sort of reaction out of me.

Are you aerial mason?

As I said before, no I'm not Aerial Mason, nor do I care who Aerial Mason is, nor does it bother me that you want to compare me to Aerial Mason, because you're just being an ass hole.

Just do like everyone else on here and buy a rope, and after using it a while, if you don't like it get another one.

Really, eeeeeveryone else on here bought a rope without knowing what they were buying?

Man, you don't over generalize much; Do you?

Stop wasting your time and ours with rappel rope.

LOL How could I possibly waste your time with rappel rope? Lol, dam man, I almost pissed myself laughing at that ####.

No, but I'll know how it knots if I tie a knot in it in the store! If I buy a rope I don't like I'll be stuck with a rope I don't like!!

Why would I buy a rope I don't like knowing that I'd just be stuck with a rope I don't like?!

Really man, it's time to sh%# or get off the pot. Pretty much every one of the arborist ropes in this thread is somebody somewhere's favorite. Just pick something and climb already. If you're having a total freak out over dumping a bill on a rope you might not like.....:dizzy:

Are you trying to trip me up here or what? Because it really seems like you're picking at little bits of #### hoping to get some sort of reaction out of me.

You mean like you replying line by line, name calling, and being as obstinate and contrary as possible?

Really, eeeeeveryone else on here bought a rope without knowing what they were buying?

Man, you don't over generalize much; Do you?

Pretty much everyone here who's bought a new rope different from their last has done so based on the opinion of others here. So no, it's not an over generalization at all.

LOL How could I possibly waste your time with rappel rope? Lol, dam man, I almost pissed myself laughing at that ####.

Really? Seriously? Pfft.

Aerial Arborist. He was a bit controversial in a few of his posts, and became notorious at AS for some of his methods, videos, and commentary. In one case, he installed some concrete patch of some sort to a tree, and was roundly ridiculed, hence the derogatory association with "Aerial Mason".

Lol, that's actually kind of funny. :msp_biggrin:

BTW: I think you are getting a bit too particular about what rope you are using.

I haven't used any of them, so I really don't know if one is as good as the other. I can only assume they are, but you what they say about making assumptions.

I'd like to say that I have enough knowledge of ropes to just be able to buy one sight unseen, but unfortunately I don't yet have such knowledge of ropes, so I have to read reviews and comments about ropes, but that only serves to further confuse me. I read one post where someone has nothing but praise for a rope, let's say poison ivy, then another post where someone says it's the worst rope they've ever used.

So I'm going to make my own decision based a few criteria, strength, knotability, visibility, and the material it's self(I prefer polyester).

All of those I can determine fairly well online except for knotability, so I'm going wait til SherrillTree sends me some samples and figure out for myself which one's knot the best, then I'll make my decision.

The job of "tree climber" is dirty, dangerous, and requires a remarkable amount of versatility. If using one particular "ideal" rope is that important to you, I suspect that you will not find very much satisfaction with the job, regardless of the brand or type of rope that you finally settle on. Similar (but not quite so nice) comments from others in this thread are probably trying to tell you the same thing.

That sounds like a big steaming pile of horse #### to me. If I didn't like tree work, I wouldn't do tree work. Lol, it sounds like you're repeating something someone said to you in the past man.

I've done enough hard work in my life to know what HARD is. I've done enough tree work to know how hard it is, and I can honestly say that I have done harder work.

But don't get me wrong and start misquoting me. I'm not claiming to be an all knowing expert at tree work, but I'm not a mindless idiot either.

Myself, I will climb on any rope that comes to hand.
Really, I have some bailing twine; Would you climb on that if it came to hand?

I have my favorite (Velocity, 10mm), but I have acquired a bunch of good ropes of many different styles.

Oh yeah? So what do you want, a medal, or a chest to pin it on?!

My only requirement is that it be strong and appropriate for the job. I try real hard to avoid climbing on a 9/16" bull rope, and I am not very fond of Arborplex. Although 1/2" Arborplex isn't really a bad rope, either.

Well thanks for sharing that, it doesn't help me one bit, but thanks for sharing it anyway.

Really man, it's time to sh%# or get off the pot. Pretty much every one of the arborist ropes in this thread is somebody somewhere's favorite. Just pick something and climb already. If you're having a total freak out over dumping a bill on a rope you might not like.....:dizzy:

I'm going to wait til SherrillTree sends me those samples, then I'll order it from them.

I'm in no big hurry to get a rope, so I might as well take the time to get one that I really like. Who knows, by the time I get one I might actually know how to use it. :msp_biggrin:

C-less, I was trying to be nice.

You responded with vitriol and contempt. Around here, blowhards generally get picked on until they get tired of the abuse and just leave. You will find no shortage of folks to pick fights with at AS. In fact, it looks to me like you are swiftly becoming as popular as the Aerial Mason.

I, however, don't intend to be one of the fighters. I consider you unworthy of my fight-time. You need to be more clever, more inventive, and more entertaining. Otherwise, I'm not having any part of mindless pissing matches.

Last edited:
C-less, I was trying to be nice.

You responded with vitriol and contempt. Around here, blowhards generally get picked on until they get tired of the abuse and just leave. You will find no shortage of folks to pick fights with as AS. In fact, it looks to me like you are swiftly becoming as popular as the Aerial Mason.

I, however, don't intend to be one of the fighters. I consider you unworthy of my fight-time. You need to be more clever, more inventive, and more entertaining. Otherwise, I'm not having any part of mindless pissing matches.

Hey man, I'm not trying to start a pissing match with anyone.

I'm just giving you back what you're giving me, if you don't like it don't start it.

How have you done lots of tree work and never owed a rope. I call bull####. Post some pics or your a poser.

I call bull ####.

I've owned lots of ropes, just none with fancy names like Poison Ivy, and none with pretty little designs in the sheath like Snake Bite.

Now you guys know why I call him Clueless Carby. This is the same guy that tried telling us a rope loses half of its strength when bent 180 degrees over a branch. Claimed to be an experienced tree guy! A number of us called him on it and he responded with LOTS of attitude. He got banned twice that I know of. He finally came back with this thread and a bit less attitude. We were trying to help him with good advice, but then he starts all this crap again. I won't waste any more time trying to help him, but will keep an eye out for when he trys to spread bad info to newbies.
Rick

Now you guys know why I call him Clueless Carby. This is the same guy that tried telling us a rope loses half of its strength when bent 180 degrees over a branch. Claimed to be an experienced tree guy! A number of us called him on it and he responded with LOTS of attitude. He got banned twice that I know of. He finally came back with this thread and a bit less attitude. We were trying to help him with good advice, but then he starts all this crap again. I won't waste any more time trying to help him, but will keep an eye out for when he trys to spread bad info to newbies.
Rick

Really man; How do you learn? Do act like you know nothing? or do you take a concept and walk through it as you would if you did know? OR were you born all knowing with everything you now know intact at birth.

If you have something constructive to say, then say it. I don't need you to put me down, or talk to me like talking to a dog.

Honestly man, I've had enough abuse in my life, I don't need any more from you.

I'm trying to actually learn something, and all you're doing is giving me ####. It's as if you don't want me to learn anything, as if you're threatened by my presence here.

If this were real life I could sue you for deprivation of character over the way you're acting towards me.

Seriously man; What do you think would happen if you treated someone, anyone, in public the way you're treating me on here?

Oh but this isn't real life is it Ricky? I guess this internet thing makes you a big man. It's O.K. to bash people you don't know. It's O.K. to take out all your animosities on someone because you think they're not as smart as you are. Besides, they're never going to find out who you really are, and they would never come a calling because you pushed them a little too hard. You can say things that you'd never have the nerve to say in real life and no one will ever call you on it, or take action against you because of it; Right Ricky?

Seriously, let's take a little time out here, and just think about that for minute, before push comes to shove.

Really man; How do you learn? Do act like you know nothing? or do you take a concept and walk through it as you would if you did know? OR were you born all knowing with everything you now know intact at birth.

If you have something constructive to say, then say it. I don't need you to put me down, or talk to me like talking to a dog.

Honestly man, I've had enough abuse in my life, I don't need any more from you.

I'm trying to actually learn something, and all you're doing is giving me ####. It's as if you don't want me to learn anything, as if you're threatened by my presence here.

If this were real life I could sue you for deprivation of character over the way you're acting towards me.

Seriously man; What do you think would happen if you treated someone, anyone, in public the way you're treating me on here?

Oh but this isn't real life is it Ricky? I guess this internet thing makes you a big man. It's O.K. to bash people you don't know. It's O.K. to take out all your animosities on someone because you think they're not as smart as you are. Besides, they're never going to find out who you really are, and they would never come a calling because you pushed them a little too hard. You can say things that you'd never have the nerve to say in real life and no one will ever call you on it, or take action against you because of it; Right Ricky?

Seriously, let's take a little time out here, and just think about that for minute, before push comes to shove.

:cry::cry:
Jeff

Clueless,
No, actually I talk much nicer to my dog, but then he is a lot smarter than you are, and knows when to listen. Also, he doesn't try to act smarter than he is, cause he has a CLUE!

You are such a joke here. You will never learn anything because you argue with everyone that trys to help you. I won't ever make the mistake of trying to help you again. As for how I learned....... I know when to shut my mouth and listen to folks that know more than me.
Rick

Carbie, it's defamation of character. If you're gonna threaten to sue someone, at least make a threat with real legal terms.

And oh by the way......you have to have character to begin with, in order for it to be defamed. So defamation of character doesn't really apply to you.

Now don't get mad at me for "deprivation of suit".

Latest posts

Back