I want to take a big part out of this tree. Is my thinking correct?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's only on Thursdays. We need to wrangle another big brown bear and drop it down onto unsuspecting pedestrians and motorists.

I saw your GMC the other day , I got all excited raced up along side of it flipping the bird and making obscene mouth gestures ....... And oh drab it wasn't you !!!! Briefly felt like an ass . Like until Joe was like I don't think that guys knows you ..

I would have died to see the WTF look on the new owners face, lol. I picked up a 33k International, still need to make a new enclosure for it.
jyterapu.jpg

Did some cleanup today. I'm not 100% done but got tired of looking at the mess on the ground. Took a b&w pic of the equipment as it seemed era appropiate.
ape2ypar.jpg
dytune9a.jpg
yqehyvy4.jpg
eza8usu3.jpg
e7unanaq.jpg
3ana5yza.jpg
ny4yzade.jpg
y6ajamam.jpg

I left the chimnea in place and dropped branches on either side of the holly tree and smack between the chimnea and what looks like some kind of Chinese maple possibly......?? I did rig a couple that were over top of said Chinese maple. The yard is massive and is looking pretty damn good. I'm ready for a swim and some beer!

Thanks for the identification. I was in the right ballpark, lol. I really haven't done much to the Japanese maple, just a really cool tree to accent the area with.

Those japanese maples don't like to be over pruned. I find the trunks are the most aesthetic part and look really good with a spot light shining up from the base. If you are going to prune them, make sure to cut back to a significant lateral or they will watersprout like crazy and get a puff ball look about them.

You shouldn't remove that secondary stem right now, it's too big and the tree wouldn't be able to compartmentalize it. What I would do is reduce the growing capability of the stem you want removed by subordinating it and thinning that stem by about 25-30%. Wait about 5 years and thin it again. After about the 3rd pruning cycle, the stem will now be small enough in relation to the dominant stem for it to be removed. You don't want to remove a subordinate stem or branch that is greater than a third the size of the retained stem. This strategy is based on Ed Gilman's book.

Agreed!

Latest posts

Back