I was almost killed by a "climber", although I am one myself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf Blitzer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I tought my apprentice how to climb. A simple running boland did not seem to much to ask, however, I was pulled into the tree, but luckily the fence was spared.

These little 130 pound climbers may get up in a tree like a monkey, but they are high-school dropouts for the most part. That is my take.

OUT

SMT

What's your problem? A bad night? Too many Bud-make-you-weiser's? Why don't you go sleep it off and come back when you sober up. :mad:

Sounds like you didn't teach him well enough. A little patience from a teacher wouldn't be too much to ask in a dangerous profession. It's obvious that education hasn't made you a more tolerant person. Do you have anything constructive to offer?

I have found that it is easy to become frustrated with new groundies and climbers. This is largely due to the fact that we all expect them to know our next 5 moves, just like we do.............. the problem is that they don't and can't............... thus, how can we expect them to know everything. Afterall, we were once the arbor-virgins of the field!

I currently have my younger brother working for me. He's a hard worker, but lacks my ambition when it comes to trees. I honestly think that I am harder on him than I would be to anyone else.......... but I'm just trying to bring the best out of him.

Be patient........... everyone learns with time! Just remember not to rush new groundies/climbers.............. for this is when a knot will slip, untie, or even worse.

almost 15 years experience and I still don't know what a 'boland' is. Do you mean a bowline knot? (pronounced BO-len)

treeclimber165,

You say that happiness is sawdust in your teeth...........

This may be true, but it definitely is not happiness when the sawdust is in your eyes................:angry:

Isn't it funny how a different location can change a person's feelings towards certain things!

That expression came from a crane removal I did several years ago. Middle of summer, real hot. Huge dead oak and no shade. There were shrubs all around the tree about 4' high and I had to crawl under them with the big 3120XP to make the stump cut. I couldn't breathe under there with the exhaust and all, was gasping for breath with my mouth open. By the time I got it cut, I came out and Jimbo (the crane operator) mentioned that I was covered with so much sawdust I even had it in my teeth. I was feeling good about how well the job had gone and said "Happiness is sawdust in yer teeth" and laughed. :D

Speaking of sawdust in your eyes, I've had that all too often. It was so muggy today that I couldn't even see where I was climbing because my safety glasses were fogged up. After fighting them for almost an hour, I tossed them down to the groundie to put in the truck. Finished the tree without eye protection, but I still thought it was better than missing a step. I was totally blind with them on. :(

What kind of idiot does not use a friction device and gets pulled into a tree? I could understand the limb/block comming loose and KNOCKING you into a tree but it sounds like you ground like you teach. :D

treeclimber165,

I understand that safety glasses do serve a purpose, but they can actually hinder safe operation from time to time.

I too have thrown mine out of frustration...............maybe not the smartest thing............ but I figure that the face shield on my helmet will work well enough!

Wolf, patience is a virtue!!!! The climber I have been working with still won't let me in a tree and I've been with him almost three years!!!! He makes me bring home ropes and practice my "Bowlines" actually I had to tie a bowline with one hand and my eyes closed before I could send a running bowline up a tree. Safety is his main concern and I appreciate this, I now have a better understanding of what he is thinking and I try to think 5 steps ahead for his sake. We rarely talk while he is in the tree and everything works smoothly. I even wrote him a groundman manual for his new hires so they know what is expected from him. I have heard a lot of accident stories but the worst that's happened with him (well other than pushing a tree over with an excavator onto his truck...wasn't me but I was ???? close to that tree falling on me, yeah all to save some flowers) was one line got caught in the chipper. (middle of a snow storm about 5 inches of snow and I just couldn't see it, I beat myself for that for months!!! He is feeling confident with my progress and wants me to be a partner

I tossed my glasses once in a cold rain that caused constant fogging. Then I bendt over into a sucker bud. Good thing it was silver maple and not sugar maple or beech! :eek:

Been around 4 years and my eye is just starting to not bother me regularly.

Latest posts

Back