Sawdust In Pockets and Shoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defensiblespace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any other climbers out there sick of sawdust in their pockets and shoes? After every day of climbing, I am emptying out piles of sawdust from my pockets. Sawdust gets in my shoes worse while doing spikeless climbing. That's because if I'm wearing spikes, I wear lineman boots that come almost up to my knees. However, while doing spikeless climbing, I wear hiking boots. My harness pulls my pant legs up high enough to expose the tops of my boots. Therefore, while cutting, a lot of the sawdust lands right inside the tongue of my boot and eventually goes down the boot. I've thought about gators, like old school backcountry skiers wore to keep the snow from going down their boots. I even talked to Arborwear about putting flaps over their pockets to keep the sawdust out, but they tried to direct me towards their more expensive pants with the zippered pockets. I told them I wasn't interested in spending over $100 on a pair of pants that I would wear out in a year and I never heard back from them. I wasn't super impressed with their tree climbers pants in the long run. After a while the pockets themselves got holes in them and fell apart. I realized this after I lost a few things. Carharts are just as good and less expensive. It seems like there would be a good market out there for someone to make a legit tree climber's pant that is rugged, functional, affordable and keeps the damn sawdust out of the pockets. An attachment to put some gators or some sort of flap to cover the boots would be a nice added bonus. If any clothing manufacturers out there are listening, I'll be happy to be a test monkey.

i'm with ya, but my tested options more often fail especially when the heats on and extra clothes suck.. When climbing i prefer overhauls not pants on shirt as keeps my mid rift tidy. Trade climbing pants are made special to keep thing neat,, consider them but pricey. Boots,,, not been a bother for me but pocket er um well my wife will whinge when washing is done & saw dusted. I will set myself up sometimes to avoid saw chip spray but that's often not practical

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tree climbing trouser&biw=1242&bih=585&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6d2sVO_pBIWA8gW36oG4CQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&dpr=1.1#imgdii=_

I wear bib overalls when climbing. I buy them with longer legs and cut a hole in the leg hem, run a piece of shoe lace into the hole, around thru the tube made by the hem, out the same hole so I can snug my overall leg tight to my boots.
Pockets get blown out with air hose while opening is down.

I wear gaitors myself, it's a little hot in the summer but in the winter it's nice. I wear the gaitor under my pants that way there's no chance of sawdust getting in the boots. I thought about sewing a strap to the bottom of my pants similar to the way gaitors are to hold them down.

You would think there's a better pair of pants out there that's practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, maybe I'm a princess, but if something can be improved, why not improve it? After all, that is what American ingenuity is all about.

Duluth trading company makes some of their firehose pants with flaps on the pockets. They also have a little extra space in the crotch as well great pockets down the legs. I almost think they have too many pockets as I feel like I have lost things in the pockets. They are super durable too the price is a little high at about $70 a pair but the wash and wear is with it for sure. They wear for ever and wash and dry well too. Just a thought

Well, maybe I'm a princess, but if something can be improved, why not improve it? After all, that is what American ingenuity is all about.
instead of shoe laces have the wife sew in some wide elastic maybe a couple of bands, definitely buy longer pants, as for me I'm w/mike515 I climb in the cheapest jeans from Target Levis, Wrangler, etc. however they are high waters you can't pick length when you want a 28 or 29" waist.

Mine aren't high waters but the denim is durable, they're comfortable and if I tear them up....not a huge loss. But they last a long time usually. As far as pockets with flaps, etc....I don't usually want to carry up anything with me that I won't need. So I don't have a lot of use for extra pockets or anything else that will grab on to branches as I pass by. Everything I need is on my saddle or I'll have it tied on to my rope once I get tied in.

Nor do I, just my cash and phone, and I had a custom leather "holster" made for my phone so I could get to it w/o unbuckling my saddle.

Well being a contract climber I try to always have it, I get calls from time to time, can you come over and do a tree that for whatever reason their climber won't or can't or left because hey it's Friday. So I'm like how long will it take me? What's the gross? What city? Yea I can be there by 3:30, 4:00, OK see you then. That's how I'm so profitable, I've finished many a day in the dark. But it's completely to my advantage, if everything thing is down I don't have to make a second trip.

instead of shoe laces have the wife sew in some wide elastic maybe a couple of bands, definitely buy longer pants, as for me I'm w/mike515 I climb in the cheapest jeans from Target Levis, Wrangler, etc. however they are high waters you can't pick length when you want a 28 or 29" waist.
The least expensive jeans I have found is at Attwoods and they have long legs in all waist sizes. They often have sales that have jeans for just under $10.

Duluth trading company makes some of their firehose pants with flaps on the pockets. They also have a little extra space in the crotch as well great pockets down the legs. I almost think they have too many pockets as I feel like I have lost things in the pockets. They are super durable too the price is a little high at about $70 a pair but the wash and wear is with it for sure. They wear for ever and wash and dry well too. Just a thought
I'm wearing a pair of the Duluth overhalls right now, I like the cell phone pocket on the bib, but the leg pockets are set to much on the front of the leg. If I put something in them I wind up with bruises on the thighs from lifting with my knees. They could add a couple of grommets to the leg hem for a draw string(that also helps keep bugs out of the legs).

Bugs aren't much of a problem here, I prefer jeans, especially on the really hot days at least I'm tan from the waist up. I've not wore overalls since I was 3, doesn't a lot of sawdust go right down the front especially if you're working at shoulder height or above?

Latest posts

Back