I was almost killed by a "climber", although I am one myself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolf Blitzer

Wolf Blitzer

ArboristSite Lurker
I tought my apprentice how to climb. A simple running boland did not seem to much to ask, however, I was pulled into the tree, but luckily the fence was spared.

These little 130 pound climbers may get up in a tree like a monkey, but they are high-school dropouts for the most part. That is my take.

OUT

SMT

Newfie

Newfie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounds like you didn't teach him well enough. A little patience from a teacher wouldn't be too much to ask in a dangerous profession. It's obvious that education hasn't made you a more tolerant person. Do you have anything constructive to offer?

tshanefreeman

tshanefreeman

ArboristSite Operative
I have found that it is easy to become frustrated with new groundies and climbers. This is largely due to the fact that we all expect them to know our next 5 moves, just like we do.............. the problem is that they don't and can't............... thus, how can we expect them to know everything. Afterall, we were once the arbor-virgins of the field!

I currently have my younger brother working for me. He's a hard worker, but lacks my ambition when it comes to trees. I honestly think that I am harder on him than I would be to anyone else.......... but I'm just trying to bring the best out of him.

Be patient........... everyone learns with time! Just remember not to rush new groundies/climbers.............. for this is when a knot will slip, untie, or even worse.

tshanefreeman

tshanefreeman

ArboristSite Operative
treeclimber165,

You say that happiness is sawdust in your teeth...........

This may be true, but it definitely is not happiness when the sawdust is in your eyes................:angry:

Isn't it funny how a different location can change a person's feelings towards certain things!

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
That expression came from a crane removal I did several years ago. Middle of summer, real hot. Huge dead oak and no shade. There were shrubs all around the tree about 4' high and I had to crawl under them with the big 3120XP to make the stump cut. I couldn't breathe under there with the exhaust and all, was gasping for breath with my mouth open. By the time I got it cut, I came out and Jimbo (the crane operator) mentioned that I was covered with so much sawdust I even had it in my teeth. I was feeling good about how well the job had gone and said "Happiness is sawdust in yer teeth" and laughed. :D

Speaking of sawdust in your eyes, I've had that all too often. It was so muggy today that I couldn't even see where I was climbing because my safety glasses were fogged up. After fighting them for almost an hour, I tossed them down to the groundie to put in the truck. Finished the tree without eye protection, but I still thought it was better than missing a step. I was totally blind with them on. :(

Tim Gardner

Tim Gardner

ArboristSite Guru
What kind of idiot does not use a friction device and gets pulled into a tree? I could understand the limb/block comming loose and KNOCKING you into a tree but it sounds like you ground like you teach. :D

tshanefreeman

tshanefreeman

ArboristSite Operative
treeclimber165,

I understand that safety glasses do serve a purpose, but they can actually hinder safe operation from time to time.

I too have thrown mine out of frustration...............maybe not the smartest thing............ but I figure that the face shield on my helmet will work well enough!

jhr

ArboristSite Lurker
Wolf, patience is a virtue!!!! The climber I have been working with still won't let me in a tree and I've been with him almost three years!!!! He makes me bring home ropes and practice my "Bowlines" actually I had to tie a bowline with one hand and my eyes closed before I could send a running bowline up a tree. Safety is his main concern and I appreciate this, I now have a better understanding of what he is thinking and I try to think 5 steps ahead for his sake. We rarely talk while he is in the tree and everything works smoothly. I even wrote him a groundman manual for his new hires so they know what is expected from him. I have heard a lot of accident stories but the worst that's happened with him (well other than pushing a tree over with an excavator onto his truck...wasn't me but I was ???? close to that tree falling on me, yeah all to save some flowers) was one line got caught in the chipper. (middle of a snow storm about 5 inches of snow and I just couldn't see it, I beat myself for that for months!!! He is feeling confident with my progress and wants me to be a partner

John Paul Sanborn

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
I tossed my glasses once in a cold rain that caused constant fogging. Then I bendt over into a sucker bud. Good thing it was silver maple and not sugar maple or beech! :eek:

Been around 4 years and my eye is just starting to not bother me regularly.

Latest posts