I weighed a load yesterday.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat10ken

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been cutting hard maple tops that were logged in October and was curious as to how much weight I was actually hauling.
I have a 2000 Dodge heavy 3/4 ton with a Boss vee plow. I have side racks that are almost as high as the cab and I heap the load higher than the cab and stack the back rank so I can close the tailgate.
Everything is hand split with a Fiskars before it is loaded on the truck ( except for an occasional miserable piece that needs to ripped with the saw).
The digital readout scale at the local Farmer's Co-op said my GVW was 11,360#. After unloading, my empty weight was 7080# leaving me with 4,280# of firewood.
I made one load per day, 5 days in a row. Figuring loading and unloading, that means I handled 42,280# this week. I don't think I need to go the the gym after that!
For your information, I turned 61 yesterday too.

Wow! I hope I can do that when I... Ummm... Reach that level of maturity. ;)

42K lbs not counting all of that splitting. Good job! Any pics of all that wood?

Happy Birthday!

Yes, it is hard work but satisfying. It would take me about 2.5 to 3 hours to get a load. I figure it is real close to a full cord per load.
I bought a John Deere 540B skidder a couple years ago and I drag the tops to a landing that I have cleared of snow. It makes it nice for cutting but it is a real challenge dragging cables through 1.5' of snow.
I do have pictures of some of my machines and wood piles. I am computer challenged but I can email them if someone would post them for me.
I dragged tops for three hours today so I have wood to cut next week. I'll take more pictures Monday.

Happy belated Birthday!

Looking forward to the pics as well. The landing, the skidder, the truck, the truck loaded ... we like pics! :D

:cheers:

1. Happy birthday

2. your truck can't weigh only 7000 pounds! my 2003 dodge diesel w/o a plow but with a cow catcher wieghs 7300ish w/o ANYTHING but my ass in the seat. lol

3. I can get a full cord in my truck. 4 stacks of 24" wood stacked 3' high makes a cord. OR you can put 5 stacks of 18"ish wood and full right around the tailgate to the top of it and throw another 3 inches or so on the center to round it up.

4. YOU are a MAN! 42,000 of wood MAKES you a man! keep up the good work, just get some pics up!

5. my Cord of Bur Oak wieghed 4,100 that i wieghed last week, so you're in the ballpark :)

1. Happy birthday

2. your truck can't weigh only 7000 pounds! my 2003 dodge diesel w/o a plow but with a cow catcher wieghs 7300ish w/o ANYTHING but my ass in the seat. lol

3. I can get a full cord in my truck. 4 stacks of 24" wood stacked 3' high makes a cord. OR you can put 5 stacks of 18"ish wood and full right around the tailgate to the top of it and throw another 3 inches or so on the center to round it up.

4. YOU are a MAN! 42,000 of wood MAKES you a man! keep up the good work, just get some pics up!

5. my Cord of Bur Oak wieghed 4,100 that i wieghed last week, so you're in the ballpark :)

Im curious what model you have because my 03' dodge diesel is 8400lbs with just me and it is the same on many different scales. Mine is the quad cab long bed 4x4.
Also 2nd generation dodges are lighter than 3rd gens. But not that light!

Im curious what model you have because my 03' dodge diesel is 8400lbs with just me and it is the same on many different scales. Mine is the quad cab long bed 4x4.
Also 2nd generation dodges are lighter than 3rd gens. But not that light!

I had an 07 QCLB that weighed right around 8400 also. I was assuming the OP was referring to a gas model... Funny how many Cummins owners are on here

Nice work!

BTW, my F550 4x4 dump is @ 12,000 pounds when empty...2 cords of ash on back puts me @ GVWR limit of 19,500 lbs.

I am the OP. My Dodge is a 360 gas, regular cab, long box, year 2000. My garage queen that I don't take to the woods is a 2004, Dodge one ton, crew cab, long box, Cummins diesel. I haven't put it on the scale yet.
I emailed pictures to "atvguns" so they should be coming soon.

my truck is an 03 dodge 2500 w/ cummins and automatic tranny. 2wd crew cab or whatever its called (all 4 doors open "normally" ... and its a long bed, with a B&W hide a ball hitch under it. Other than that no toolboxes or anything and we're at 7300# pretty well full of fuel.

cat10ken sent me the pics I will upload them when I get to work tonight should have them on here about 8:30 unless there is a lot going on at work

I am the OP. My Dodge is a 360 gas, regular cab, long box, year 2000. My garage queen that I don't take to the woods is a 2004, Dodge one ton, crew cab, long box, Cummins diesel. I haven't put it on the scale yet.
I emailed pictures to "atvguns" so they should be coming soon.

I guess I assumed it was diesel when you said it was a heavy 3/4!

Here is the Pics from cat10ken

That is one nice skidder

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back