sprinkled donuts and pretty nurses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See what can happen to ya when ya ain't listenin' to the banjo?

Hope you heal quickly.

P.S.
I have to ask you this. How far is Newport from Oliver Springs? I'm supposed to go to Oliver Spgs this summer to ride ATVs at Windrock and Brimstone but, I ain't goin if'n it's anywhere near where all this wierd sheet happens to you.

Glad you are ok and enjoying the donuts! Gomer ever come out to yell at you or give a helping hand?

:clap:

Not only do you need a video camera mounted on your helmet but one on your truck dash as well. I'm telling you, a documentary in the making. Recover soon and best wishes.

Forget about Axmen, skip those American Loggers, we got a new show called Firewoodmen! Who cares about steep slopes of difficult to cut trees, we got customers from :censored:.

Every week my SIL tells me of yet another crazy customer or strange delivery. Last week it was a condo where they wanted the wood on the 5th floor balcony. She and her crew got it up there but the delivery charge was more than the cost of the wood! :dizzy:

Ever consider making your house calls in one of those bear proof suits?
Might be funny trying to unload firewood while running around like that little kid in "Christmas Story"
Also, I was thinking about the guy that ordered the wood and the story he must have, he must have heard the noise, looked out and said "jeez, that can't be the wood guy, he has no truck...aaahh damn trespassers, let the thunderbird deal with him.

AV - I love reading your stories, just makes my day....you need your own reality show - this stuff is MADE for TV! :)

Glad you're OK, get well.....enjoy the donuts.

Well fry my hide that can be pretty harrowing geting attacked by something under the truck. We use to have geese so I know how those males can be. Lucky that tire didn't do worse to you as well.

What a goat screw chain of events that was...lucky there was no nuke plant downstream. :)

Hope you're on your feet soon...give our regards to the nurses. :clap:

AV.... Man, I'm, glad your ok & didn't break anything.

Now that that's out of the way.......

Wtf?

A big burly firewood cutter hospitalized from a meager squashed ankle? Tell us you at least limped down to the creek & rescued most of the wood and stacked on the customers porch(single-wide I assume).

And....didn't you read the bootlace thread down in the Chainsaw forum? Why there's quit a discussion on the proper way for a "Logger" to tie his boots even with diagrams and pictures! God God man, the "loggers tie" could have foiled the goose------:http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=120660&page=8

You really should write a book...your up there with Wambaugh & Hiiason in the humor dept.

RD

If you have seen the picture of my brother's firewood estate, you will note the big pond in the back hunk of the land. During the summer there are usually 5-10 white ducks and 3-5 geese. Despite the fact that those geese are ~800'+ from the furthest corner of his firewood piles, there is not a car, person or any moving air breathing critter on the face of the Earth that can stop around those woodpiles and not set off those geese. 24/7, Rain or shine, they stand guard and nothing gets past them. Even in the winter when they are inside his barn, they still have windows to look out of and let him know someone has stopped and is checking out the piles.

We also had a single gray goose while growing up (they can live up to ~25 yrs) and I have seen many a big burly stud of a man run screaming like a little girl when that goose went after them. Back then we did not have the big pond so the ducks and goose hung out in the front yard, ready to greet all comers.

Well there ya go, avalancher. Great tip for protecting your woodpile. Give this critter the pink slip and get a couple geese...

wrifde.gif

See what can happen to ya when ya ain't listenin' to the banjo?

Hope you heal quickly.

P.S.
I have to ask you this. How far is Newport from Oliver Springs? I'm supposed to go to Oliver Spgs this summer to ride ATVs at Windrock and Brimstone but, I ain't goin if'n it's anywhere near where all this wierd sheet happens to you.

Windrock?Why didnt you say so?Man,I spend every waking moment at Windrock in the summer if I aint working.Here is a shot of me putting one over the edge up by the windmills.Give me a holler if you wanna go for a wild ride,i know places up there that will make your hair stand on end.

It's his imagination running wild as he spends some time in a goose down padded room.:)

Get well soon.

You might be right about that one TreeCo, the doc was convinced I had some brain damage after he asked what happened.Here is a pic last night after they set me up with a "brain scan".Photo compliments of my wife and her blasted cell phone.

Amazing........How can so much happen to one person? Hopefully you are saving all these stories for your book "Tales of a Woodcutter".

I'm almost afraid to ask, you never said what the Dr. said after the brain scan..........

Geese are awesome for guard duty! We had a whole farm lot of mixed birds when I was a kid. Someone came in one night when we were gone and shot everything in sight with a 22. My one male goose lived, with a bum leg and a bullet in him, for a long time after that. He could still run off any intruders with bites and thumps from his wings. He would sit in my lap and eat and "preen" my hair.

Gomer forgot to warn you about the attack geese! I am gonna guess this won't be covered by his homeowners insurance.

Amazing........How can so much happen to one person? Hopefully you are saving all these stories for your book "Tales of a Woodcutter".

I'm almost afraid to ask, you never said what the Dr. said after the brain scan..........

Must have been alright because he let me go home!although he sure had a nice quite conversation with my wife.....

We've got a mix of Embden & Toulouse (sp?) & they are a pain in the butt. The Embdens were raised from little & still are nasty. I have found that the fight goes out of them when you grab them by the neck with one hand scoop around the wings with the other & hoist them off the ground. They don't seem to know what to do then. I wouldn't hurt one because they're my wife's pets. We don't leave ours loose due to the neighbor's dogs & coyotes.

I have found that the fight goes out of them when you grab them by the neck with one hand scoop around the wings with the other & hoist them off the ground. They don't seem to know what to do then. I wouldn't hurt one because they're my wife's pets. We don't leave ours loose due to the neighbor's dogs & coyotes.

Some of them will never give up. Our main nasty goose greeted a farmer friend that stopped by one day by promptly chomping into his leg the minute he stepped out of his truck. Being a burly farmer he reached down and grabbed the goose by the neck and held him out at arm's lenth and the goose put up quite a fuss. The farmer loved how mean the goose was so he instantly started a negotiation with me to let him have the goose. As we continued talking the farmer was getting a wing beating but being a farmer that loved mean geese he just stood there holding the goose by the neck and kind of enjoying the fanning of the wings the goose was giving him. Well after a minute or two the farmer let down his guard and also his elbow and the goose's head was now within striking range of his upper arm. Now if you have never had vice-grips clamped onto your bicept you do not know the pain that a goose and inflict onto your bicept. When the goose made contact the farmer's eyes got really big and he let go of the goose. The goose held strong for about 2-3 seconds and then let go, dropped to the ground and skampered off hissing the whole way. The farmer had blood coming out of the pores of his skin where the goose got him.

That farmer visited often and he just loved to harass that goose and the feeling was mutual.

Our dog put up with the goose harassing her for quite a while and being a duck dog the dog was all the time thinking WTF am I tolerating this? Every day the dog would growl at the goose and the goose would hiss at the dog as they passed each other, but nobody crossed the line. One day the goose decided to push the system and he chomped right into the dog's butt. That was it, the dog had had enough. She turned in a flash and grabbed the goose by the neck/shoulder region and started to shake. After a good ~15 seconds of shaking the dog flung the goose and let out a growl that I had never heard that dog utter before. The goose landed and bounced and got up and shook off the shaking and then let out a honk. From that day forward there was no more hissing of the goose or growling of the dog when they passed each other. I swear they were giving each other the slight head nod as if to say "don't make me come over there!"

Right now my brother has a fox that is trying to get into the barn to get his ducks and geese and chickens each night and he shows up about 3 am. The geese are going bonkers when the fox shows up which wakes my brother. So his sleep is getting busted up and so my brother is getting a total distain for this fox. So far the fox senses any movement in the house and takes off at warp speed so he can't get a shot at the bugger. :laugh:

Windrock?Why didnt you say so?Man,I spend every waking moment at Windrock in the summer if I aint working.Here is a shot of me putting one over the edge up by the windmills.Give me a holler if you wanna go for a wild ride,i know places up there that will make your hair stand on end.

LOL Great story, glad your mostly OK. How far are you guys from Brimstone?
Some friends and I just had a trip there in October,

1.blew my Honda 300ex up. had to get towed from the south end of the park all the way back around the whole place via the road to get back to camp. 2hr trip by road

2. had the 361 out clearing a downed tree on a new trail and was stung 27 times by ground hornets. (yes im allergic).

Just got a call the other day. looks like we'll be back down there here in March. would be cool to get together and see the "good" trails.

LOL Great story, glad your mostly OK. How far are you guys from Brimstone?
Some friends and I just had a trip there in October,

1.blew my Honda 300ex up. had to get towed from the south end of the park all the way back around the whole place via the road to get back to camp. 2hr trip by road

2. had the 361 out clearing a downed tree on a new trail and was stung 27 times by ground hornets. (yes im allergic).

Just got a call the other day. looks like we'll be back down there here in March. would be cool to get together and see the "good" trails.

It depends,if I go by myself I can be there in 1.5 hours.If the wife and daughter and any other riders go along, we pull the trailer and it takes an extra hour.We also have to stop seventeen times for the wife to get coffee, the daughter to get slim jims, etc.
I prefer Windrock myself, after you have been there a few times you find a lot of trails and such that are not marked and away from the crowds. Lots of stuff to do, and we even sneak into Lakecity for a bit of lunch if the sheriff aint around.
If you are looking for good sport quad riding, give the daniel boone trails a try. They dont have the big rocks like Windrock,lots of smooth dirt trails where you can ride wide open.I prefer it when I have that "gotta squirt some dirt" mood.Give me a shout when you are fixin to come down this way.Ill ride with ya.

Back