Ice Damage - How to trim? Likely to survive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dar

Reaction score
Ice Damage - How to trim? Likely to survive?

Hi – first time posting. Below are some pictures of a tree we have in our backyard that lost a large limb in the last ice storm here in Ontario, Canada. There was a large overhanging branch that had many off shoots that nicely covered our 20x30 deck. This branch came down right where it joined another branch and the wound is about 3 feet long. The branch that it broke from is literally 1/2 the diameter it used to be. The main branch we lost also took down some smaller limbs.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Should we do anything about the main wound? I have heard that popular theory now is to leave the wounds alone as opposed to dressing them in any way but not sure if this applies in this case.

2) Regarding the other small branches that came down – the main limb that is left only has 2 very small branches remaining. Should I trim each smaller break back to the 1st branch it intersects with? Or should I trim back to the main trunk? Not sure which is better for the overall health and longevity of the tree. Each of the breaks are seeping sap at the moment so I’m thinking this is possibly a good sign(?)

Thanks

Before and after pictures

photo.JPG photo 2.JPG

As you can see there still seems to be alot of the tree left - I would estimate 1/3 of the total density of the tree was lost in the storm. You can also see the lower right branch which has almost no other branches on it - this is the one I'm not sure if I should trim back to the trunk or just trim the broken limbs back to where they attach.

P1030712.JPG

I would leave it alone for a year or two, then lightly reduce (10-20% of foliage) above that big wound, and the same off the ends of the lower right leader. Redvers Tree Svc. and Arborvalley are good; this is NOT a DIY type of job!

Attachments

• After the Storm from TCI Magazine April-2003 small.pdf
    508.4 KB · Views: 4
  • restore_2010_06.pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks alot treeseer for the advice and the references. I will leave it alone then and will give Arborvalley a call to see when they recommend some pruning - they seem fairly close to my location.

I'm also from S. Ont. and we lost a LOT of trees in the ice storm plus a lot similar to yours. I've got may that are split down the centre.
I agree that it's best to trim off dead/broken/dangerous branches and leave the rest to see what grows back. You'll be amazed at how most trees recover. You can buy a spray wound sealant for trees at HD. I've used it on some to keep the burrowing bugs out when it makes sense. If you can reach the area easily, I think it's worth the <$10.

I had a tree with some simalar damage that an ice storm caused a couple years back ; I did trim it up and give it a couple years to see what would happen and after two years it was time to go, had lots of tips on branches that were not looking good and since it was possable for it to take out power lines down it came. Glad I made that choice since some of the larger pieces actually had a dry rot type of look from the inside when I cut them up.

I would say wait and see in a year or so how things are looking , since once you take it down you can't put it back.

Latest posts

Back