Ice Storm 2009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckily, the night before last, the temp here rose slightly, and after midnight
the ice stopped building, as we got 2-3 inches of rain. The next morning the temp started dropping and we got 3-5 inches of snow in an hour or two, and the crashing trees started up again. We will have firewood for many years...

Good to see your still with us Fishie. I sure would miss you.:confused:

Ice storms suck,this one didn't get us up here.Hope you all are OK down south.
I'll be going to Nashville in the morning,scenery will bring back bad memories of the last one here.

Still no power here...

Said the heck with it, they was sayin it might be mid Feb. before some gets their power back on,,and,if I toast my puter at least it'll be more heat.... :) Wanted to post some pics frm the Madison Co. area of Ky...

Phone and internet line almost touching the ground...
attachment.php

That ice is thick..
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A few more..

Never seen it this bad since the one back 15 or 16 years ago...Plenty of stuff to cut here!!!!!!

Still lines down.....
attachment.php

Plenty of widow makers here!!!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Even the biguns took a hit..
attachment.php

The Herd

Stipes,

You must be around Hopkins Co. The pics you posted looks like my back yard. I'm in Henderson, we just got our power back on after 3+ days without.

We got 3 inches of ice and about 5 inches of snow. The branches are still falling, looks like a tree bomb went off.

There are still thousands without power and many around here don't have water either because the pump stations don't have power.

Thanks for the pics.

Al

Great pictures guys. I think the spookiest thing was standing outside Wednesday and every 10 to 15 seconds you could hear load thuds, some of which sounded like gun shots. Limbs were breaking. Driving around Wednesday evening just after dusk, I could see flashes of light all across the horizon. I can only assume it was power lines malfunctioning. I didn't seen any broken power poles, thank goodness. :cheers:

I feel for those effected. It has been a long time, 20yrs?, but central iowa had an ice storm that toppled the transmission line towers bringing power to the city. I was living with my inlaws at the time and they lost power for 2 weeks. We slept in town at the their jewelry store on the hard floor for at least 10 of those 14days.

Brian

We lucked out

In northern Iowa we got zip other than below zero weather. I well remember the storm Kyle1 is talking about, that one not only snapped off power poles, but it took down the big steel main trunk towers. West and south of Mason City there were miles of them down. That storm we lucked out also as our power company brought in a portable power transformer and hooked it onto what is called the corn belt line, which is the REC main line, which runs 1 foot outside the city limits. We only lost power for about 20 hours, others lost it for 2 weeks as he said. Two years ago in the end of February we had another one and it was a mess. We were without power for 6 days. I was Mayor of the town at the time, boy was I busy. As I reported in an earlier post, one of my best friends is in the middle of it down in Arkansas. He thinks I will be months before they get power. No food or groceries or gas. Supposed to get into the 50's tomorrow though. Best of luck to all of you affected. JR

Ice is one of nature's ways of culling the weak. Fortunately, she also gives us some of the good burning not so weak too!

Unfortunately, power lines are culled as well. But there is a bright side to that as well. Many rotten poles get replaced as well as the wire conductor that may be 75 plus years old in many areas. This is especially true for those who live in "The Boonies" like so many of us who hang out on this site. Our typical electrical distribution system is way past its projected and intended useful life span.

So don't despair, what you are going through right now will help make your power more reliable in the future!:clap: :clap:

Please pray for all of the thousands of people who are involved in restoring power and all of the aftermath clean up! I have some of my employees assigned to restoring power in the areas served by American Electric Power. We appreciate the prayers!!!

Sweet-talker

My wife said the morning after the storm, when I went out and the generator started after the first pull, that she had never heard such a comforting sound!

Then I guess you couldn't be accused of being a silver-tongued devil...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

No power here yet

Been without power and phone since tuesday. The wood stove has kept us warm and I got an old generator that had been sitting at a neighbors house for about five years to run again. Just mostly needed to have the carb cleaned. Have been shuttling the generator between neighbors to let everyone have a couple of hours of electricity per day. The phone came back late yesterday and I'm running on generator now.

The damage is just awful. Trees and power lines down everywhere. Anyone with a chainsaw (even unskilled like me) is welcome here to help clean up. Lots of fire wood for next season!

Ice is one of nature's ways of culling the weak. Fortunately, she also gives us some of the good burning not so weak too!

Unfortunately, power lines are culled as well. But there is a bright side to that as well. Many rotten poles get replaced as well as the wire conductor that may be 75 plus years old in many areas. This is especially true for those who live in "The Boonies" like so many of us who hang out on this site. Our typical electrical distribution system is way past its projected and intended useful life span.

So don't despair, what you are going through right now will help make your power more reliable in the future!:clap: :clap:

Please pray for all of the thousands of people who are involved in restoring power and all of the aftermath clean up! I have some of my employees assigned to restoring power in the areas served by American Electric Power. We appreciate the prayers!!!

hey rick, right now i had just as soon have the ole unreliable system back!!!

bout 10-15% power has been restored. generators coming in by the truckloads and are gone in minutes. i made a run to mid tn thur to get 3. i already had a 2.2k so replaced it w/ a 5k and wil sell the 2.2. cut up 3 trees for one bud and setup a 5k for another today and overloaded it. after an hour the enclosed engine overheated and set the insulation on fire. minor damage but still inoperable. so i came back home and picked up another and got it online bout dark. that made a long day.

im n good shape w/ hot water, heat, intermitten phones, ect. but hundreds of thousands are not and the elderly are hit the hardest and have been advised to leave. many wont.

this is bigtime bad for most. elec spokesman last eve said that 50% were looking to at least 30 days w/o power in western ky. and thats maybe only 10% of the total area!! for perspective hospitals were evacuated.

my office is closed and im on administrative leave so im helping neighbors and friends. and thats full time 7a-7p.

wil b n touch when i can:givebeer:

We at Home Depot have sold almost 400 generators this week. We are getting them by the truckload. Had over 100 sitting on the floor when I left work this afternoon, and people are still buying them like crazy.

Still none here...

yeah, i got it too here in richmond. power came back on today about 1. was out for 4 days.

Just north east of Richmond in Madison County...I went out this morning and still power lines down....This one on Charlie Norris road had a tree still across it and it's been that ways for 5 days now,,and I was tempted to just go cut the damn thing loose myself,,but knowing my luck they would have trown the switch and toasted me as soon as I dropped the bar in it....
Anyone frm KY. hear on the news about the 20 or so National Guard men they sent to,,I cant remember the town's name,,but they was sent to help with the clean up,,and the people was raising heck that they showed up and not ONE of them had a saw on them.....Thats pretty sad my friends...
I have cut so much wood in the last few days,,and it finally happened...I been pretty lucky not to ever hit anything sawing ,,,but this morning I was cutting this one down for a friends Dad inlaw,,was a old water maple,,hollow inside,,,couldnt tell it till you cut into it,,but I was buckin it up,,and wam,,,hit a piece of woven wire fence that someone stiffed into it years ago....First time I ever hit anything like that,,and made a mess outta my chain....Why the heck do people do that........
Well,,maybe tomorrow I'll get some power,,but it is what it is,,and guess the bright side of it is,,my bill wont be as high now for Jan.....
:)

My power just blipped back on, but I was outside, and the crashing trees
sounds like WWIII, so I will be in the dark again soon. Anyone else?

It will be good for the small engine/chainsaw/ generator biz, but I would rather not....

I'm in northwest arkansas. We received 2.5" of ice at our house and it dropped damn near every tree in our valley. The house has been without power since tuesday and this is the first evening someone I know has had power in town. If you like, you can check out some pics of what it looked like during the storm at my myspace page: my pictures

These are all pictures from my property.

I'm in northwest arkansas. We received 2.5" of ice at our house and it dropped damn near every tree in our valley. The house has been without power since tuesday and this is the first evening someone I know has had power in town. If you like, you can check out some pics of what it looked like during the storm at my myspace page: my pictures

These are all pictures from my property.
We're neighbors. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back