Ice Storm 2009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got about 5" of snow and thats it, the storm came from the south and tapered off before it hit us. I feel for you out on the east it looks nasty...Stay warm Zodiac:cheers:

Nearly all of the firewood that I have been burning for the past year has came from the ice storm. I find the trees that have fell, limb them down, drag them out with my ATV, and buck and split them at home... I'm just about out of the good easy wood though. Lots of that ice storm falldown is just about to rot into the ground.

TFB

Cool. I just found a big 80 acre grove of oak and hickory that an older gentleman wants cleaned up from the ice storms. He will even let me use his little tractor to pull the dead limbs out. I'll pull them out into his pasture, buck em and throw the pieces on a trailer. Pile the brush in one big pile for him to burn!! Can't beat that!

I put a few beers in the snow and ice outside last night. We got just enough for me to cover my beer up. Got just a little slush in the top of my beer. That's the way I like it. After last years ice storm that's about all the ice I want. ;)

running on redneck prowess, and my old dialup account. Looks rough here,
hope my rigged generator holds up. Looks like a week or so without power.

I drove up to a couple of the local towns, whatb businesses that are open
have none of what I need, except gasoline.
My generator runs the computer/etc. fine, the woodstove will do the rest.
I did all of my e-bay the first day, so i am cool there.

The greatest thing about this is, that no one around here knows I work on this crap, so I can move about freely......

In my subdivision 1/2 on one side has power, the other side doesn't.

I'm on the side that does... So I offer my neighbor across the street my generator to use as I won't need it. So we get it out of my shed, take it over there and get it all set up. Start filling it up with gas and.... I see gas dripping out of the tank..

The darn freeze must have cracked the tank... sucks for him.. looks like he's off to his son's house to spend the night... At least I try-ed.

Word from Arkansas

Talked to a dear friend who lives in Arkansas both yesterday and today. He lives south of Branson near a town called Omaha. I've not been there yet as he just moved about 6 months ago. Anyway he said that there is about 2-3 inches of ice and that there are huge old Oaks and other trees down all over the place. He said that he had seen dozens that had just broken in half along with a lot of Cedar trees. He was in his yard yesterday and heard a loud CRACK and a Cedar broke in half and knocked his hat off. He said that he was really happy when he picked up the hat to see that his head wasn't in it. Didn't even get a goose egg on the old egg, but it was as close as he ever wanted to get. Power in the area was out since yesterday, and he says it will be June before they get it again. He went to town yesterday to get gas for the generator and bought 20 gallons, and said that the station was worried about running out of gas as the transports were off the roads. He is in the process of building a shop and house on his land. He figures that if he gets his drive open the wood that is across it will heat both shop and house for 2 or 3 years assuming that he has the energy to build them after clearing the drive. Since I just bought a SP125 (see my thread) I might have to go down and help him cut next month. Sorry to hear all of the problems that some of you are having, but for once the big storm missed us, knock on wood. JR

Looks like we will be heading out Friday to survey damage in Adair, Cherokee and Sequoyah counties in OK. Haven't heard anything about About Fema or local Govt. getting involved in the clean up so we will be bringing our dump and chipper.

Well the storms over and it wasn't near as bad as some others got ice wise. We got 8" of snow then it rained on top of that. Some sunk too the bottom as slush and the rest made a nice 2" crust of ice on top of the 6" of snow. What a drag getting out of the drive this morning. Of course my plow truck decided not too start so I broke out the old snowblower. 2 hours later and I'm out:angry2: I had to drive it up onto the crust too break it, then back up and sling it. Had too be careful too like throwing ice chunks out of the blower. Heck of a workout I'll say that. :cheers:

greetings to all from a frozen powerless western kentucky. jim cantore on the weather channel is in paducah ky. im bout 25 mi south.

municipal water out this morn.

hundreds of thousands of people out of power. at least 2-3 weeks of downtime. some perhaps months

im running on generator and have heat & food. 99% do not

intermediate land line no cell

470 gal gas, 260 gal diesel, 350 gal water on the premises and lots of ammo!!!

will survive. "the bear" is my hero

good day greg

Up this way, it was most all snow. Sleeted for about an hour toward the end of the storm. Glad it stayed snow. We had a wicked ice storm in December that knocked power out for three weeks in some areas around here.

Some forecasts called for as much as 20" and our area of late has been in the "jackpot" regions for accumulation.

Fortunately, we only added another foot to the snowpack.

While last year to date was snowier, we had periodic thaws that melted some of the accumulation. Not so this year. Snow banks at the end of the driveway are mighty high and pulling out into the road is like a leap of faith. Starting to run out of places for the snow.

Makes me think of the Johnny Cash song, "Three Feet High and Rising:"

How high's the snow there mamma?
She said it's three feet high and rising.
Can't see the dog 'neath that powdry stuff
Sayin' it'll snow again - we've had enough.
Now it's four feet high and risin.

Luckily, the night before last, the temp here rose slightly, and after midnight
the ice stopped building, as we got 2-3 inches of rain. The next morning the temp started dropping and we got 3-5 inches of snow in an hour or two, and the crashing trees started up again. We will have firewood for many years...

still bad here in SW Indiana.. many 1000's still without power.. I'm one of the lucky one's. My sister was told it will be 5 days + till she gets it back..

anyways, generators our a going and just trying to stay warm

Greetings from Milltown In. Still off the power grid but the generator is working fine. Trees are bent to the ground everywhere but it is warm inside and the well pump is working. Nothing has melted since it hit Monday night.
Yesterday was busy cutting and shoveling. Duke energy says power back by 6PM Saturday. At least the phone and internet is working. I hope everyone is as well off.

Running off generator here...

Still dont have power yet,,and I guess I shouldnt be runnin the compt. off the gen. but had to get some bills paid...
This been a freezing hell here....I have alot of pics. to post when I get power back on...
Anyone wanna give your saw a good workout,,come on down.....Looks like a tornado been tru this way....Pretty sad sight.......
Try to get back on soon,,hope to have power on later today or at least this weekend........ :cheers:

Back