ID Poison Ivy n Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wooded area in Pennsylvania. Tree appears to be coated in Poison Ivy, by my guess. If it is Poison Ivy what is the best method to kill and remove it. The tree pictured is from Omaha. Would like to know what tree this is. Thanks for the help.

1D48CE21-0B23-4F31-BABB-32C285D927C0.jpeg5A338F10-AA9C-4652-BE61-1CFA36936986.jpeg5E4A69D4-B1D7-4FFF-B4A4-F8080AF6BC08.jpegB0EFFA98-B874-4C64-AAC0-1313E0000AA2.jpeg

That's a mess. Cutting it and pulling it off is about the most effective, death by 1000 cuts if you will. Not keen on spraying poison ivy when it's on a desirable tree. Guess you could apply a herbicide directly to the cut stems via brush to mitigate contaminating the tree.

I have had good results spraying a mix of 25% Triclopyr in diesel onto the stems of poison oak that run up a tree. If you're careful you can do it without getting any on the tree but if you do get a little on the tree and it's much larger than the PO it'll handle it. You need to soak about 12-18" of the stem. It takes about a month, and works only during the growing season (for Triclopyr, it works by messing with the growth cycle).

The oil helps the herbicide stick to the bark and soak in. You could do the same with just a small amount of oil or diesel and herbicide and a brush to apply. The problem with this technique is that you need to get to the stem of the plant you want to kill.

This winter take ~6" sections out of each vine at ground level with a chainsaw. Next winter pull it off wearing long sleeves, gloves, face shield. Throw away gloves & long sleeved garment, clean face shield thoroughly (or throw it away).
PI never affected me until it got in my tear ducts somehow. Miserable experience. Now I don't go near it except in winter.

Doesn't look like PI to me ..I don't see the different shapes on the sides of the leaves .
Heres a good pic of PI...you can see the two different shapes on either sides of the leaves .
Ernie
Screenshot_20210624-072948.png

Thanks all for the info. I have a big mess to clean up there. I wondered about leaf shape but it seems PI comes in different leaf shape. The berries are another give away. I will take no chances and treat it as PI. The whole mess has to come down from that tree. I’ll know more when I visit the property next month.

Ah Dogwood. I should have known as I had 2 smaller Dogwoods here in Texas. It did look familiar but I just couldn’t place it. Thanks.

More pics of poison ivy. This is what it looks like in our area. Always look for leaves of 3 (leaves of 3 leave it be), and one side will have a couple notches along the side edge.
f6ccf4f02b7ee67d1870de6cae0308e3.jpg
92ee752619b4e1b03ac077f11cb113cc.jpg
77b5352eb42324df4df3508881c6f21d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Idk I have dealt with ground PI and vine PI. I'm real familiar with all of it. I've had the rash over 100 times and that doesn't look like PI to me. The vine style doesn't bother me to much unlike the ground style but usually the vine style is a vine climbing a tree with leaves of 3 sprouting off here and there and it's real easy to get rid of with an ax. Here in the north east the vine style doesn't make a bush thing like that. That just looks like ivy. I currently have PI and idk where I got it from lol I haven't been in the woods lately.

Thanks all for the info. I have a big mess to clean up there. I wondered about leaf shape but it seems PI comes in different leaf shape. The berries are another give away. I will take no chances and treat it as PI. The whole mess has to come down from that tree. I’ll know more when I visit the property next month.

Ah Dogwood. I should have known as I had 2 smaller Dogwoods here in Texas. It did look familiar but I just couldn’t place it. Thanks.
wasn't 100% sure, but it looked structurally correct... :cheers:

Back