ID this Stihl, 044 or 046?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked up another saw and am not sure if it is a newer 044 or 046. The serial # is 135082619. Can someone explain to me how to break down the Stihl ID to determine what model and when it was made? It has the same frame size as my old 044. The mystery saw is smaller overall than my 066. Here are some pics to help distinguish the differences.

1st pic has an 044 in the background. notice differences in the air filter cover.
attachment.php

2nd pic is on the carb area where there are differences. The 3rd pic is the old 044 same area.
attachment.php

attachment.php

4th pic is the weird dual port muffler
attachment.php

Thanks guys
Steve

Freakingstang said:
Hey guys, I picked up another saw and am not sure if it is a newer 044 or 046. The serial # is 135082619. Can someone explain to me how to break down the Stihl ID to determine what model and when it was made? It has the same frame size as my old 044. The mystery saw is smaller overall than my 066. Here are some pics to help distinguish the differences.

1st pic has an 044 in the background. notice differences in the air filter cover.
attachment.php

2nd pic is on the carb area where there are differences. The 3rd pic is the old 044 same area.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks guys
Steve
In the first pic the saw on the right is a 044. The saw on the left is a 046. I don't think the 046 ever had a metal tag on top of it like the 044. All the 046 I've ever seen have a white plastic name plate on top. I could be wrong but of all the 046's I've seen none have ever had a metal tag plate on top. The 044's did have metal tag plates on top at one time like the one you got there. Also the air cover boxes are different too.............

Freakingstang said:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks guys
Steve
That is an 046. 77 cc's.

thompson1600 said:
It is an 046 from the plastic. It appears you have a couple different saws in the photo's though. The gas caps are different.

The 044 is old, small wrist pin, 88-90 from the best I can tell.

The 046 has the same caps as my 066.

THALL10326 said:
In the first pic the saw on the right is a 044. The saw on the left is a 046. I don't think the 046 ever had a metal tag on top of it like the 044. All the 046 I've ever seen have a white plastic name plate on top. I could be wrong but of all the 046's I've seen none have ever had a metal tag plate on top. The 044's did have metal tag plates on top at one time like the one you got there. Also the air cover boxes are different too.............

There is an indentation on the top with two holes where the rivets for the tag would be.

Freakingstang said:
The 044 is old, small wrist pin, 88-90 from the best I can tell.

The 046 has the same caps as my 066.

Ya mean you knew all along that was a 046,haha, you sucker...............

The weird muffler is the Stihl dual port for the 044 and 046.

Freakingstang said:
There is an indentation on the top with two holes where the rivets for the tag would be.
Yep you be correct about those holes. Thats where the plastic name tag snapped in. Most of the old metal tags are rivoted in and they rarely ever come off. Sometime the name plate gets torn off but the rivots stay in...

THALL10326 said:
Ya mean you knew all along that was a 046,haha, you sucker...............

No, That was the whole reason for the post. The husky dealer where I got it thought it was an 066 and tried selling it to me as a parts saw. I told him it was an 044 with decomp and got it cheap(thought it was until I noticed the differences when I got home. I then replied to to his post. I guess I should have put " " around "046" lol

Steve

Freakingstang said:
No, That was the whole reason for the post. The husky dealer where I got it thought it was an 066 and tried selling it to me as a parts saw. I told him it was an 044 with decomp and got it cheap(thought it was until I noticed the differences when I got home. I then replied to to his post. I guess I should have put " " around "046" lol

Steve
lololol, good job, you pulled a fast one,lololol

gas caps

thompson1600 said:
It is an 046 from the plastic. It appears you have a couple different saws in the photo's though. The gas caps are different.
You can't always go by the gas caps. I just replaced the tank housing on an 044 yesterday, #1128 350 0832 and the new cap is the flip and twist to lock and unlock type. What do you want to bet the owner needs instructions on how to open/close it? First thing he asked, "Can you put the old cap on it?" No, I didn't even try. He had backed over the saw with his new toy, a Bobcat. :jawdrop: Needed the fan housing, fuel tank and popped the rubber mounts. Other than that, the saw held up and runs fine now. He was having fun with the Bobcat and forgot where he set the saw down.

I've never seen one with a metal tag, either, and looking at the tech bulletin from its debut, it looks like it has a plastic tag. That was in 1995, if that helps decide anything. I've been wrong many times though.

tek9tim said:
I've never seen one with a metal tag, either, and looking at the tech bulletin from its debut, it looks like it has a plastic tag. That was in 1995, if that helps decide anything. I've been wrong many times though.
The 046 I got is a '97 model and it has a plastic tag too. I guess some could have had metal tag plates on them but this ole cat has yet to see one. Nothing to fuss over though, if they did they did. Kinda like if I do I do,haha

04ultra said:
attachment.php

My only 044 early 90s metal tag no C/R

Ultra, to the best of my knowlegde, the 044's didn't have compression realeases until the model switch to the 440. That is what my stihl dealer has told me anyway...

I think the arguement here is that the 044 had the metal tags and the 046 had plastic....I don't know, but my old late 80's early 90's 044 has the metal tag. My 03' 066 has a plastic.

-Steve

Latest posts

Back