id this wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dt6266

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello all, i came accross about 5 cords of wood all cut up ready for splitting at a construction site that was free for taking. it included a bunch of oak, ash, cherry, poplar, birch, etc.... but there was also in the mix about anther 2 cords of another wood that i cant tell what it is so i only took 1 log of it until i know i can use it for firewood and of course there were no branches or debris around it to look for any types of needles. it kinda resembles some kind of pine but it has no pine smell or any of the sticky sap seeping from it and the center appears to be starting to crack already . i would say its been sitting there for mabee a month or mabee 2 at the most. i took a picture of one of the logs. can anyone help, it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks dean.

walnut?

did you split it yet? usually walnut has a greenish tint to the brown in the center.

or, am i thinking of black walnut?

no i didnt split it yet, i just got it this past weekend and i only took the one log. my biggest concern more then anything is making sure its not any type of pine and if its burnable in my fireplace

Last edited:
no i didnt split it yet, i just got it this past weekend and i only took the one log. my biggest concern more then anything is making sure its not any type of pine and if its burnable in my fireplace

ummm...is your fireplace alergic to pine, or do they have some local laws about burning pine there?

what's wrong with burning pine?

i always thought pine wasnt good for burning because of the whole sap thing and it didnt burn clean.

we just had a whole thread on burning pine. i've been doing it for years, as have many many others.

just season it well and it'll give you a nice hot fire. my wife prefers it to almost any other wood because it produces alot of heat. of course, she isn't running out and getting logs either. lol

ok thanks for the info, thats if it is even pine, i'll go pick it up. how long should it be seasoned for. i guess i could always stack it separate from the rest.

i don't think it's pine, but, i could be wrong.

pine should season for about a year, depending how you stack it.

i picked up some red pine(?) a while back...about two cords worth, it was reddish all the way thru tho, not like the pic you showed.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like hard cherry to me... I just split some nice seasoned rounds up this afternoon. Love that smell!
JC

It looks like the wild or black cherry trees in my yard. they are a good burning wood. Pine will give you a hot fire, so hot you can burn your butt if you back up to the stove, Don't ask how i know this.:blob2: dry pine won't burn long though.

ok thanks for all the input, i picked up the rest this morning. the scent it gives off is more of a sweet smell, no pine scent at all. thanks again.
Dean

Latest posts

Back