ID wood type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobucks07

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are there any good comprehensive websites that help ID wood and trees by the bark and grain of the wood? I have a lot of down trees and after cutting today with the neighbors I'm learning that I have quite the diversity of trees on my property that I'd like to know more about.... I looked online but only found a few here and there.

elm, oak, ash, walnut, locust, etc, etc....

Would appreciate any tips.

Best bet is to invest in a couple of field guides. This way you can take them right out to the field with you instead of having to memorize all the pics and twig/leaf info. I have the Audubon and William Harlow field guides. They both have their advantages. If you are really interested in going this route, here is a thread about these two books in particular: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=42144&highlight=field+guide This way you know you are getting quality information from reputable sources.

this is pretty smooth to the touch. I have Ash there too, and I thought that oak had a texture at least as course as Ash. Maybe it's just not a good picture.

I think Adrpk has it right, it looks like oak to me as well. One thing for sure, it is not beech. The bark is not smooth enough, too dark in color, the bark is to thick and from the cut end, your wood looks to be open grain where beech is closed grain.

Definitely Oak. See the tangential rays on the cut end of the log? They also show up on the face of the split log in the second pic showing "quartersawn" grain. Those are a dead giveaway for Oak. I'm going to hazard a guess at something from the white oak family. Any chance of running that split log in the second picture across a jointer and taking a close-up pic of the grain structure? Can you pick up any acorns or leaves from this tree? Those will help a lot to narrow it down. Beech trees have very smooth bright gray bark and many still have some leaves this time of year. The new leaves push the old ones off as they bud out in spring.
Finnbear

Well, I am in Michigan (SE) and it was in a stand with mostly Red Oak and Ash, so I guess I didn't look at the Ohio DNR site very closely. The smooth bark fooled me too.

I just checked the website that Leebo had the link to and looked at both the Pin Oak and Black Oak....I'm thinking it is the Pin Oak. Is that about the same, as far as buring goes, to Red Oak? I haven't found a chart yet that lists anything other that Red and White Oak.

And thanks for all your help

I just checked the website that Leebo had the link to and looked at both the Pin Oak and Black Oak....I'm thinking it is the Pin Oak. Is that about the same, as far as buring goes, to Red Oak? I haven't found a chart yet that lists anything other that Red and White Oak.

And thanks for all your help

Pin Oak is terrible to burn. Send it over my way and I'll try to get rid of it. I won't charge you anything since you're an AS member.:laugh:

I did think Pin Oak was of the Red Oak family. Maybe that's not true.

Latest posts

Back