identifying Stihl 070 and 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, do you know the series of the carbs? I have seen the 327C on the 070 and it has a 5/8" venturi and the 090`s had 244A and 324A which have 13/16" venturi in them. I guess that what you have seen then means that the 070 and 090 shared all the carbs between them. Also read somewhere that the 090 used the 331A at some time in their production run, may have been in one of my Tillotson carb Master manuals so I would have to do some reading to check that out.
Pioneerguy600

So where these all tollitson carbs used in early models - only to be replaced with the ZAMA

So where these all tollitson carbs used in early models - only to be replaced with the ZAMA

All the ones I listed are Tillotson carbs, have not seen any other make on them but the 070 and 090 are not that plentiful around here. I have only began researching for some extra info recently for a couple of future project saws I will be doing.
Pioneerguy600

:clap::clap:
Excellent thread, answered a couple of nagging questions I had. I thought the HL-244A carb was the smaller version, only found on the 070.

I've figured out a way of telling the size of cylinder on an 070/090 without taking anything apart. I'm posting a copy here of a post I left on another forum.

If you look at the cylinder right over the clutch cover, you can tell if the cylinder is 090 or 070. I tried for some pics, but it's very hard to get it to show what I'm trying to explain. The easiest I can make it is, if the top of the transfer port ends between the 5th & 6th fins counting up from the rear corner above the clutch cover, it's an 090 cylinder. If it ends between the 4th & 5th fins, it's an 070.

Sorry, I can`t seem to figure out how to get the pictures to show up in the post!

I've figured out a way of telling the size of cylinder on an 070/090 without taking anything apart. I'm posting a copy here of a post I left on another forum.

If you look at the cylinder right over the clutch cover, you can tell if the cylinder is 090 or 070. I tried for some pics, but it's very hard to get it to show what I'm trying to explain. The easiest I can make it is, if the top of the transfer port ends between the 5th & 6th fins counting up from the rear corner above the clutch cover, it's an 090 cylinder. If it ends between the 4th & 5th fins, it's an 070.

Sorry, I can`t seem to figure out how to get the pictures to show up in the post!

Here are the pics and thanks. I'll check out my saw and see how it works...Carl

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hate to have to ask - but can u ciircle or mark the trans. port area.. or are you talking about the carb to cyn. port ?? Put anohter way - what the hXlll is the trans port??? :)

Hate to have to ask - but can u ciircle or mark the trans. port area.. or are you talking about the carb to cyn. port ?? Put anohter way - what the hXlll is the trans port??? :)

It's the "bumped out" portion of the cylinder that can be seen between the fins to the right of the numbers in the pics. It sticks out past the "barrel" of the casting that has the piston bore. Look at the pics again and you will see what I am talking about. You can see where it ends at fin 5 or fin 6 on the pics.

I was just doing some internet research and came up with a reference to an 090R. Anybody heard of that one before?

...Carl

Not me but I am only in the learning curve about them right now. Did not pay much attention to them over the years as they had no use around these parts but I have reworkrd most of the smaller displacement saws and these are all that is left bigger than the saws that I have reworked and I would like to learn more about them before I tear into them for the refit.
Pioneerguy600

i owned at one time--just before the 090 i have now--contra??? late---had big hole--and small clutch--can you say clutch eater???? tried using it on a csm--1 cut--1 burnt clutch--sold it and got the real 090-----------

Back