idiot vs. Stihl 031 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E&R_firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this is a story similiar to others that have been shared-------

a friend of mine inherited his father's 031 . . . it was well used, and sort of ran when it came to him, needing a carb rebuild, fuel line, oiler, new AV mounts, etc. and somewhere along the line the fuel and oil caps had wandered off and been replaced with shop rags. he wanted to get it into tip top shape, as the saw had special meaning to him . . his dad had bought it new in 1975 from a now long gone local sawmill/stihl dealer and had used it to cut his firewood for more than 20 years. anyhow he and i spent many hours making her into a useable saw again . . . my friend is an underpaid school teacher with 5 kids, so he did not have a lot of money to dedicate to the saw, so i searched, traded and begged for parts and we both did some wrenching on it. after sitting on the work bench in my shop in various stages all summer we got it put together and he took it home, a happy ending, until yesterday. my friend called me and asked if i knew where he could get a p&c for the 031. it seems his brother-in-law had taken it upon himself to borrow the saw without permission, after seeing it on the "place of honor" shelf in my friend's garage . . . the brother in law had purchased a semi load of logs for firewood and didn't have a chainsaw . . . he filled the 031's tank with straight from the pump texaco and started the saw . . . you know the rest of the story. i tried to console my friend and offered to trade him the 041 super, that i recently worked over . . . he declined and now we begin the search for a p&c

Last edited:
Man, I hate to hear stuff like that, makes you want to strangle somebody for being so stupid.:angry:

E&R, I have plenty of scored saws to trade for your 041 Super! I'm sure it would make me feel better...... Seriously though, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a top end for ya. Good on you for helping a guy out. Your friend needs to read PlanBio's post about his Jred 801, then he won't feel so bad.

E&R, I have plenty of scored saws to trade for your 041 Super! I'm sure it would make me feel better...... Seriously though, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a top end for ya. Good on you for helping a guy out. Your friend needs to read PlanBio's post about his Jred 801, then he won't feel so bad.

yeah i told him PlantBio's story, he just muttered something about " &*#@# brother-in-law's everywhere i guess"

The amount of saws that die from being borrowed, authorized or not, is absolutely staggering. I see it constantly. Sold a 372 to a guy today to a guy whose neighbor broke his saw AND his log splitter.

Gentleman: Do not loan out your saws!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!

According to my wife, I'm am to never loan my....

Chainsaw
Tractor
Dog
Wife
Pickup

...but not necessarily in that order...:)

Your friend is related to PlantBio's sister by marriage?

I was wondering the same thing.....:buttkick:

The amount of saws that die from being borrowed, authorized or not, is absolutely staggering. I see it constantly. Sold a 372 to a guy today to a guy whose neighbor broke his saw AND his log splitter.

Gentleman: Do not loan out your saws!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!

+1!
Some people just don't get it. You can borrow me and I'll bring a saw. :cheers:

My BIL's are OK. It's my oldest blood brother who breaks everything with an engine, and it's also after "borrowing" without asking. I think it might be time to mod the gun safe to fit chainsaws.

Last edited:
50/50 for me.

I wrote about the thief BIL here. My other BIL is the salt of the earth. So I am happy with 50/50 split and keeping the scattergun loaded for the thief. How ya'll doing on here. I am improving and lurking, and reading. Missed you guys.

Sounds like some of you guys should disable your power tools when you put them up, to avoid BIL issues.

One day, someone is going to design a "user-only" interface for saws. They have it for computers. You have a keychain sized little dongle that sticks into the saw and enables it to run. No dongle, no noise.

I don't have borrowing issues with my saws or other tools (thank God after listening to your stories!), but it's similar to the Harley Davidson world I live in, in that NO ONE borrows a Harley without the express permission of the owner. Not even close friends borrow Harleys.

Maybe it has to do with most Harley owners being somewhat heavily armed...

Sounds like some of you guys should disable your power tools when you put them up, to avoid BIL issues.

One day, someone is going to design a "user-only" interface for saws. They have it for computers. You have a keychain sized little dongle that sticks into the saw and enables it to run. No dongle, no noise.

I don't have borrowing issues with my saws or other tools (thank God after listening to your stories!), but it's similar to the Harley Davidson world I live in, in that NO ONE borrows a Harley without the express permission of the owner. Not even close friends borrow Harleys.

Maybe it has to do with most Harley owners being somewhat heavily armed...

They also have these on Hilti Power Tools. We buy in large quantities as a general contractor and you need to unlock the tools with an access card before they will work. after we unlock em though we never lock em again.

Wtf

You have a keychain sized little dongle that sticks into the saw

Is this advanced stages of CAD?

I am guilty of this in a way. I borrowed an 028WB to take down a dead crabapple at Grandma's a long time ago. Saw quit & had to finish with 009l. Brought saw back to Tennessee to fix & found this wonderful site. Now 028 runs well & uncle bought 361 to replace. All is well & saw is mine now per (favorite) Uncle.

Latest posts

Back