If a tree chairs in the woods and no one hears it.................

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody912

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Can the guys on AS still make fun of you??????????:laugh: Chaired 2 today, both of them about 20 degrees off horizontal and I knew both of them would do it, eroded gully and hardly enough room to put a face in. I grew long arms and nibbled the edges till they broke. Wanted to show buddy what a chair was anyway

Can the guys on AS still make fun of you??????????:laugh: Chaired 2 today, both of them about 20 degrees off horizontal and I knew both of them would do it, eroded gully and hardly enough room to put a face in. I grew long arms and nibbled the edges till they broke. Wanted to show buddy what a chair was anyway
Anybody ever tell you you ain't supposed to do that on purpose? You might get hit!

if you knew they were...next time, put a small chain binder just above the cut,,or a 2 inch ratchet strap... no barber chair..

An October snow storm made this one in my woods.
P1050045.JPG

That was over 5 years ago, and the top is still hung up there. I can't see a safe way to take this down, so I'm waiting for nature to finish the job.

Anyway, I made one from a stump that was supposed to be a stand for me, but my assistant captures it when ever we walk past it:

Stump lounge 3.JPG

Sorry, I know this is a serious issue, and barber chairing can yield fatal results. I walked my Dad's farm last week and we almost always walk past a tree that chaired and killed the previous owner. No pictures though, kind of a memorial, seemed in poor taste.

View attachment 485876

That was over 5 years ago, and the top is still hung up there. I can't see a safe way to take this down, so I'm waiting for nature to finish the job.

Anyway, I made one from a stump that was supposed to be a stand for me, but my assistant captures it when ever we walk past it:

View attachment 485877

Sorry, I know this is a serious issue, and barber chairing can yield fatal results. I walked my Dad's farm last week and we almost always walk past a tree that chaired and killed the previous owner. No pictures though, kind of a memorial, seemed in poor taste.

You are more patient than me, I had 8 of them like that. Threw a chain over them and pulled at a 90 degree angle from about 100' away till they broke. One of my many bad habits, going after the most difficult stuff instead of picking the fruit

if you knew they were...next time, put a small chain binder just above the cut,,or a 2 inch ratchet strap... no barber chair..

Yep, I used to just wrap a chain around them. That of course leaves slack which comes tight with a snap as a chair starts. Really gets one's atteniton. Then I discovered those ratchet straps. They have awesome breaking strenght.

Harry K

Yep, I used to just wrap a chain around them. That of course leaves slack which comes tight with a snap as a chair starts. Really gets one's atteniton. Then I discovered those ratchet straps. They have awesome breaking strenght.

Harry K
EXCEPT!!! IF!! the chair stays open,,youll have fun cutting the chain loose...

Naw, just cut a round off and they come right off :). Last time I used a ratchet on a big tree (over 4' dbh) I had to cut the strap. It was so tight I couldn't use the release.
cut it next to the ratchet,,wheres theres only a short piece to the ratchet and the hook.. cut a short chunk off of the long end,,and take the ratchet and this piece to someone that does horse harness sewing,,and put it back together.........nylon thread only!!! and sew it he exact same way it was!!

But if you do it just right, you can sit down and take it easy for awhile...

View attachment 485838

View attachment 485876

View attachment 485877

I like those kind of 'Chairs'. This is my 1st one.
Sagetown_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back