If chainsaws were NOT 2 stroke, would you still enjoy them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m debating whether I want to sell my 017. It’s a good little saw, but I just don’t hardly ever use it anymore. When I need a small saw I usually reach for a cordless saw. They’re just way more convenient.

So at this point cordless electric saws have effectively replaced 30cc saws for me. Perhaps if they perfect graphene batteries in the future I’ll replace my larger saws as well.

For me, it’s all about what cuts wood best. I’ve got no special attachment to 2 strokes. They just happen to be the best technology currently available.
I have battery chainsaw and pole saw and agree with what you post. It is winter though now and the gasoline 30cc saw would be the one to take if staying out long enough to get the battery cold.
I have four stroke pole saws a Stihl one and a Honda powered one, not sure how the vibration and burn danger will work out with a conventional rear or top handle saw.

My bike,,,, sold it to my co worker. Four cylinder two stroke just add a bar and chain. Lol

I get a woody everytime I hear my two stroke fins rattle.

Attachments

• 5CE7B782-D3A1-4919-B836-F476A08E4B66.jpeg
    5CE7B782-D3A1-4919-B836-F476A08E4B66.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 4
There was a four stroke weed wacker how come never a chain saw? I remember hearing complaints about the four stroke wacker being heavy.

If the saw was a light or lighter, ran as along on a “tank” of gas, and had the power I needed I wouldn’t care if it was nuclear powered and silent. In fact that would be pretty cool.

That said (and it’s been said many times) if it’s loud and smoky it’s got to be fun!

Probably moreso. Chainsaws aren't my passion, they're a tool that I use because they do what I need to get done. The two stroke engine is a result of that, not the focus, and when a better tool comes along, I'll use the better tool.

Thinking on it more..........

I live in a neighborhood in the country surrounded on all sides by miles of fields, one road in and one road out. Couple years back a 3' diameter oak fell and blocked that road. Battery saw? It was during a windstorm, power was out. We cleared the road and my Stihl did almost all the work.

Even when battery saws cut faster than gassers and will run all day on a charge bucking and noodling, I'll probably still keep a gasser on the ready line. Something that doesn't require a working power grid to function.

I would definitely go electric. There are motors out there in the RC world that are 150cc equivalent. The performance is amazing, electric RC aircraft pretty much dominant the market.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_3_group_0_desc
You would need a large backpack power supply for something like this puppy though.
A 50cc equivalent one with a couple of 10 lb interchangeable packs that go in a backpack would give you a very light saw that would run all day. Stihl is already moving in this direction.

Latest posts

Back