If I buy a 36 inch bar do I need skip chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i looked into one of them.. It was hard to order, and i wouldnt be certain of which one i was actually getting,color, ect.

I wish they had a better outlet for buying them. any advice on how to get them..

With all due respect, what is so hard about picking up the
phone and dialing the number?

to tell you the truth guy i don't think you'll have an issue with any 36" bar. the light bars are sweet but i just buy the regular bars. i have never seen a stihl light but i have had the oregon light and it has some kind of light weight aluminum welded or molded into the centre which i didn't mind at first but after using it i found the bar was really flimsy compared to a standard bar. now i just buy the standard bars cause in 36" they are not heavy IMO. i use big 72"er's so i may be used to it. i've never seen any bar bigger then 36" that was a light weight design but i couldn't imagine using them. must flop all over the place. way to bendy for me.

th
to tell you the truth guy i don't think you'll have an issue with any 36" bar. the light bars are sweet but i just buy the regular bars. i have never seen a stihl light but i have had the oregon light and it has some kind of light weight aluminum welded or molded into the centre which i didn't mind at first but after using it i found the bar was really flimsy compared to a standard bar. now i just buy the standard bars cause in 36" they are not heavy IMO. i use big 72"er's so i may be used to it. i've never seen any bar bigger then 36" that was a light weight design but i couldn't imagine using them. must flop all over the place. way to bendy for me.

I was in a truck accident with my 064 in the bed. Truck flipped saw got thrashed. The 32" Oregon rw was ####ed UP. Spent about 10 minutes on the tailgate and she is back in business. So yea. Im sold. Only thing I don't like is the lack of stiffness when boreing, cleaning up, and cracking an undercut loose...

Hi 066 Blaster
Back to your question, the 066 will pull a 36 in. bar and chain in any configeration as long as it will oil acordingly and you keep the chain sharp. The high output oiler is the answer. We use 36 in. bars in large hardwood all the time using full chisel chain with great reasaults. We do use the Ms660R saw which has the high output oilers from the factory. If your saw is not equipped with the HOP oiler you can add it to the 066
Safe cutting

Hi 066 Blaster
Back to your question, the 066 will pull a 36 in. bar and chain in any configeration as long as it will oil acordingly and you keep the chain sharp. The high output oiler is the answer. We use 36 in. bars in large hardwood all the time using full chisel chain with great reasaults. We do use the Ms660R saw which has the high output oilers from the factory. If your saw is not equipped with the HOP oiler you can add it to the 066
Safe cutting

P/n 1122 640 3201 I believe.

I use full skip on bars longer than 24." I can't tell much of a speed difference, but sharpening is easier. I'm not good at math, but full comp on my 42" (135) would take a while. I'd also need a beer delivery helmet to sharpen and drink simultaneously. If u'r dumb like me, you shouldn't use a light bar, as I've ruined 2 pinching them.

At the dealer I go to, they have pre packaged chain for a 36, The last time i went there they were out. wondering if this chain would be skip. does Stihl make skip chain? I guess i would buy whatever they have prepackaged, I dont mind spending the time to sharpen if it works good. also I would not be using it on a daily basis anyway. I dont think this dealer would make chain, I could be wrong though. It sounds like either would be fine, thanks for info.

I use full skip on bars longer than 24." I can't tell much of a speed difference, but sharpening is easier. I'm not good at math, but full comp on my 42" (135) would take a while. I'd also need a beer delivery helmet to sharpen and drink simultaneously. If u'r dumb like me, you shouldn't use a light bar, as I've ruined 2 pinching them.

I might get the heavy one now that you bring up that point. I'm a big boy, the extra weight aint that big of a deal. and i wont be walking around the woods dropping trees all day with it.

I get 3/8's semi and skip chains from the Stihl dealer I go to down to 18" bars even .325 chains

Some are already made and others he makes a loop :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back