If you are running solo or with one parttime help, how much do you bring home at the end of the day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erwin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been doing mostly solo for the past 12 years. As you can see from the chart, expectation just keeps growing. I want to learn from you guys out there, so I can keep a healthy expectation. Don't want to be too greedy and priced out off compotation. For a 8-10 hour day with you climbing, your chip truck, chipper, What's your average take home pay? then, what's the most (not very often, but still happens quite often) money you took home and jumping for joy?

First 3 years, I go home very happy with $800 in the pocket.
the next 3 years or so, $1000
then next 3 years or so, $1200
past 3 years, $1500 on average. $2000 the most (maybe once every 5 jobs)

I mostly work all day on Saturday, maybe half a day Friday and occasional few hours week days.

Love to hear from you guys. Thx

So u only do this on the side? One guy I'd be happy enough with 1000, 1200 hell yeah with a helper how much u pay him? Peanuts? Or decent? 1500 with a helper is more then good if all you have is a chipper n truck...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes, on the side. I guess if I do this full time, then my I have to lower my expectation a bit since I can't be as sellective as I do now. I don't do any advertisement, only word of mouth from good customer to good customer. I pay my helper 15 bto 20 an hour. Own all my equipments out right (a F350 chip truck, a 55 feet forestry truck, a vermeer 6" chipper and a Bobcat M55 with a stump grinder attachment. no other expenses other than liability insurance which runs around 1200 anually. I never have the need of hauling wood. I have a line of people getting it from me. That alone saves me at least 3 hours a day (loading and hauling it to the dump).

So, there r not many solo operators like me here, I assume. Or everyone is busy making money. Great Thx.

I have one ground guy. I try to take home 500/day after labor, gas and other expenses. It ends up being enough to pay the bills after considering short days/ days without work/ winter/ equipment purchases.

You're running a lift and chip truck with only a 6" chipper? I guess you know where your next upgrade is. If we get $1400/day for two man crew with truck/chipper we are profitable.

Yes. That and a bucket truck were in my sight for many years. Just got the lift two month ago because I want to let my legs last longer. Just can't justify a large chipper yet. The 6 inch vermeer serves me very well. No matter how much I cut in a day I always take lass then an hour to chip it. I might save 15 min with a 12 or 15 inch but with that little benefit, it's much harder to move it around around the shop, harder to hitch up. Maybe after I start doing this full time some day I'll update.

Miko0618
Chill. 2000 is as stated not often still happens once a while. 2000 dollar day is never one single tree contract. Sometimes it's for one single client more than a 5 trees to trim, and couple easy take downs. Also, jobs for HOAs street trimming (200 an hour). Thx for all that replied. I got a good idea now for the price range Im in. It must b at the upper end of my local market and seems to be susdainable. Don't get me wrong I'm not here to boost how much or how little I make, simplest trying to learn. I encourage people share your honest numbers so we all can benefit. If everyone of us stay at the top of our market, everyone wins. Keep going. Thx

I'd like to see a few Guru level friends come out to share their numbers. Botrom line here is not to have lowballers among us, right? Please help us that are still green in the industry. Thx

Thanks for all your good numbers. very helpful. I assume that some of you are not solo or paid a wage. For solo operators here, $75/Hr is a very lousy day. $100/Hr is not bad. $135-150/Hr is average and 200 is a supper day!

Del. that does not sound nice! I fill all my 20 hour weekend week all three seasons with repeating customers, lots of them entire clan. And I don't advertise. I've been running the same business model for over 10 years. I must be doing something right. If you are not in a run down area and only brings home less than 50 per hour that's not a happy career.

Back