If you had a 50cc saw would you step up to a 60cc or 70cc saw next ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsrsol84mm

gsrsol84mm

ArboristSite Operative
Have a Husky 550xp and looking for a second saw a little larger. Was thinking the 562xp then thought of the lightweight version the Jonsered 2260 with the small bar mount and 20" pro lite bar as something similar handling to the 550xp but with more guts.
Well started reading and reading and now think maybe the 372xp or Jonsered 2172 ? Will probably get both 550xp and the second saw ported down the line.

Just didn't want to get something too large that never gets used. Could always run a 24" bar on the ported 60cc if needed. Have also considered the Stihl but the Husky/Jonsered seems like a better choice at this time but I do like Stihl a lot.

Would appreciate any insight you could offer,

Thanks

procarbine2k1

procarbine2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I personally would step up to 70cc territory, maybe larger (the 562's are nice saws, no discredit there). I just think the 550xp voids the need for a 60cc saw. Just my opinion, I am VERY happy with my 550.

srb08

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
I have 50cc, 60cc and 70cc class saws. I use my 562xp more than the other two. If I was limited to one saw, it would be a 60cc.
For a two saw plan 50cc, 70cc makes the most sense.

srb08

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
What do you use most after the 562xp and do you run a 20" bar on the 562xp ?

I run a 20" on the 562.
Time between the 50cc 18" (Stihl 026 and 261) and 70cc 24" ( Stihl 038M and 460) is split pretty evenly.
Before I got the 562, I used the 261 the most.
I only use my saws for firewood cutting, 8-10 cord a year.

john_bud

john_bud

ArboristSite Operative
I was in that spot this summer. I have a Husky 50cc saw with a big bore so it's really 53 cc. The new saw is ....

drum roll, please....

a 50 cc saw.

Yeah. Anti-climactic ;). But it's a much better one! I bought a new stihl 261. It out performs that old husky, even with the Husky running a 16" bar and the stihl running a 20". Most of the time, it will run an 18". I don't cut big wood typically,just 8-10 cord of firewood a year. Getting more saw just makes me tired faster lugging around that extra weight, extra fuel, extra oil, etc.

Just my 2 cents. But if I did cut big wood.... a 70cc or larger would be appreciated!

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I run a 20" on the 562.
Time between the 50cc 18" (Stihl 026 and 261) and 70cc 24" ( Stihl 038M and 460) is split pretty evenly.
Before I got the 562, I used the 261 the most.
I only use my saws for firewood cutting, 8-10 cord a year.

With those saws at hand, it is no wonder that you use the 60cc saw the most! :msp_smile:

gsrsol84mm

gsrsol84mm

ArboristSite Operative
A ported Jonsered 2260 with a pro lite 20" bar is very tempting. Should be one of the lightest 60cc around and the bars interchange with the Husky 550xp as I am running 3/8 .050 on the 550xp.

I was hoping for a 2 saw plan but it may just end up a 3 saw plan.

weedkilla

weedkilla

Ain't no guru of nuthin'
I have several saws, I got by with just a 70cc for years. A 50cc saw was a revelation, adding 60cc and 90cc saws to the mix was good when I have a job for them, but I could live out my days with a 50cc and a 70cc saw. If I didn't have employees on saws as well that would be what I have.

The jump from my 346 to my 562 isn't enough if you only have 2 saws. If you can get by with just a 550, then a second, larger saw will do 10% of your cutting. Get something that is going to deal with the big 10% of your cutting with ease.
The 2 most recent saws I've bought are refurbished saws that have seen the bench of tlandrum or nmurph. That's a cheap way to work out what you want as the saws are both worth what I paid for them if I choose to sell them. (In both cases it is unlikely you will pry the 346oe or 385 from my cold dead hands!)

KiwiBro

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
42 and 79cc. Couldn't be happier with just two saws. The small saw is light, very well balanced, and punches well above it's CC rating (has to be used to be believed). The 79cc saw is remarkably light and well balanced, but can't oil more than a 32" bar. If I were to add a third saw, it would be 100CC or more for the good sized trees and some milling.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
42 and 79cc. Couldn't be happier with just two saws. The small saw is light, very well balanced, and punches well above it's CC rating (has to be used to be believed). The 79cc saw is remarkably light and well balanced, but can't oil more than a 32" bar. If I were to add a third saw, it would be 100CC or more for the good sized trees and some milling.

If your 42cc saw is what I suspect it is, it weights about the same as some 50cc saws that have a lot more power! :msp_wink:

That aside, your gap seems way to large to me - but each to their own!

KiwiBro

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
If your 42cc saw is what I suspect it is, it weights about the same as some 50cc saws that have a lot more power! :msp_wink:

That aside, your gap seems way to large to me - but each to their own!
On paper, comparing specs rather than out there in the real world, I'd agree with you that it does look like a leap. But having benefited immensely from the advice of experienced people who walk the talk, I'm glad to have gone this route. A lil, superb joy of a small saw that is happy with 16" bar burried, and a light, well balanced 79cc saw (lightest in it's class), covers almost all my bases.

Latest posts