"If you had one choice"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If you had one choice for an all around saw to do "everything" (in tree average limbs and block down spar no bigger than 20") which would you choose? The reason I ask is I just got back in the field of tree care an a friend has asked me to remove 5 white pines averageing 40ft. I don't have my saws anymore and would like to get a good all around in the tree saw. Preferabley top handle, but not necessary. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Tony

Oh I will get all over this right away. I have tried the Husky, Echo, and Stihl tophandle saws. The Echo is a pain to get parts for, lacking power and doesn't feel that good. The Husky feels great, but doesn't have the most power and has a primer bulb that sticks out, which I don't like the idea of.
Also we had an oiler screw come out that was screwed into plastic, not good.

Now to the clear winner, the Stihl 200t. Has the most power, handles fine, parts are everywhere, designed well for tree use. The only down fall is the price, which you forget about the first time you take it in the tree, and remember when you go to sell it. Good luck on the search, I am sure you will here more of the same.

One thing that doesn't come up often is the Husky 338 has more room in the handle than the Stihl 200t, in case you use winter gloves a lot.

What in the hell do you mean you don't have your saws anymore? What the hell happened to them? I hope it was not due to economic stress or other misfortune but : What are you nuts? They must of been trash to get rid of them. HUH?
I tossed out most of my cd's because they just sat on the shelf and reminded me of the 80's but saws?
Oh but I did sell a pair of real nice Echo top handles to some jerk for 50 bucks. The joke is on him .

Oh I will get all over this right away. I have tried the Husky, Echo, and Stihl tophandle saws. The Echo is a pain to get parts for, lacking power and doesn't feel that good. The Husky feels great, but doesn't have the most power and has a primer bulb that sticks out, which I don't like the idea of.
Also we had an oiler screw come out that was screwed into plastic, not good.

Now to the clear winner, the Stihl 200t. Has the most power, handles fine, parts are everywhere, designed well for tree use. The only down fall is the price, which you forget about the first time you take it in the tree, and remember when you go to sell it. Good luck on the search, I am sure you will here more of the same.

One thing that doesn't come up often is the Husky 338 has more room in the handle than the Stihl 200t, in case you use winter gloves a lot.

Oh I don't mind about the price, not one bit. I can think of worse things to spend the money on.

Oh I don't mind about the price, not one bit. I can think of worse things to spend the money on.

in agree, if its gonna be making you money then it shouldnt matter if you are going to shell out that cash for the best in class.

you didnt say anything about it being a top handle or a rear handle.
if you are going with a rear handle get a 50-60cc saw. that way it isnt too big in the tree for you but can handle ground duty and make a few butt cuts. the 361 costs just about the same as a 200t. but a dolmar 5100 will run less than that, like 400ish maybe. i have a husky 3fiddy9 ,was short money, that i love to climb with.

what'd you do with your saws anyway.

in agree, if its gonna be making you money then it shouldnt matter if you are going to shell out that cash for the best in class.

you didnt say anything about it being a top handle or a rear handle.
if you are going with a rear handle get a 50-60cc saw. that way it isnt too big in the tree for you but can handle ground duty and make a few butt cuts. the 361 costs just about the same as a 200t. but a dolmar 5100 will run less than that, like 400ish maybe. i have a husky 3fiddy9 ,was short money, that i love to climb with.

what'd you do with your saws anyway.

For real now brother what is up? Where theyed go? I am real worried now.

Well i got out of arboriculture for a bit. Not really by choice. I left the gig climbing at Central Park due to poor salary and major commute from Long Island. Currently I'm installing cable for Cablevision as a contractor. I really want to get back into tree care full swing but am having a hard time finding the right fit with benefits for the wife, son and I. Oh yeah....I'm a father as of September 7th 2007. HEHE. Anyway..I sold my saws the 044 and the king of the heap...my 200T. Now i've got new climbing gear but NO SAWS. Need help..any used ones you guys are ditching...LET ME KNOW.

TONY

I have two 192T's and they are still good to go after four years. Yeah, they lack some of the power of their bigger bro, but they're also two bills cheaper. I have a 440 and 460 Mag for the bigger gigs. Stick with Stihl and you'll be fine. An extendable Stihl power pruner is nice for those limbs just out of reach, but you'll get tired of holding it after an hour, or so.

tony. how do you use the name "sawboss" but you dont own a saw? lol

and how do you sell your 2hunge? i am going to have my ashes encased in one when i go.

Well i got out of arboriculture for a bit. Not really by choice. I left the gig climbing at Central Park due to poor salary and major commute from Long Island. Currently I'm installing cable for Cablevision as a contractor. I really want to get back into tree care full swing but am having a hard time finding the right fit with benefits for the wife, son and I. Oh yeah....I'm a father as of September 7th 2007. HEHE. Anyway..I sold my saws the 044 and the king of the heap...my 200T. Now i've got new climbing gear but NO SAWS. Need help..any used ones you guys are ditching...LET ME KNOW.

TONY

I wish I had those two Echos for you rather that that dill hole I gave them to. I really do. I hope you the best but there is no way I can let go of mine.

I have two 192T's and they are still good to go after four years. Yeah, they lack some of the power of their bigger bro, but they're also two bills cheaper. I have a 440 and 460 Mag for the bigger gigs. Stick with Stihl and you'll be fine. An extendable Stihl power pruner is nice for those limbs just out of reach, but you'll get tired of holding it after an hour, or so.

In all my years I have never seen a limb out of my reach, at least nothing I couldn't snag with an 8 foot pole saw.

How you sell your 200 is absolutely beyond me, not judging, just can't wrap my mind around it.

It was a dark day indeed for the gentleman, let him remorse in peace and lets just have a moment of silence. No joke, I do understand.
Even more amazing is that he thought he was going to get out of the tree biz. No buddy, get your ass back here and get to work.
remember to think about your family with every cut.

Last edited:
that is funny.................

"Oh but I did sell a pair of real nice Echo top handles to some jerk for 50 bucks. The joke is on him."

poor bastard! LOL

congrats on becoming a father!

i could never sell the 200t! the 338xpt,in a heartbeat.one of the the only huskys i don't love.

thanks a lot for the replies buds. who knows what to do. I certainly am not thrilled with the idea of carrying a rear handle to do the WHOLE tree. I guess the 200 is the wonder child.

tony

200 is the wonder child.no doubt.

the 192 does quite well with a muffler mod.i miss mine.i'd take it over the 338 NE .the 192 is lighter and cuts better.

if you're hell bent on the 338xpt NE...

i'll sell you mine.it has low hours and if you've never run the ms200 ,you'll never know the difference.

The 192t does rip. I just pulled the spark arrester and she runs sweet. I know it will run circles around my bro's new 338. Every time I run that saw I am more impressed. Just used them both today in a white pine, I used the 338 to cut out my 192 that I pinched, when I sent the 338 back down I was glad to get back on the 192.

The 200t is the best of the best though, but my 192 with the 12" is great too and I would highly recommend if on a budget.

Back