"If you had one choice"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone needs to say it....

Shindaiwa 357 is by far my top handle saw of choice. I can't say enough about it when it comes to power compared to the rest.

I have recently taken on a line of Dolmar saws and I am undecided. I like the fact that they are more compact, a little higher RPM and have a very nice loop on the but of the saw for climber to tie on.

Husky 346 is a good little climbing saw and can handle a bit of ground work too. The husky 357 is my favorite climbing saw though but it's too big for alot of people. The 200t is the best top handle saw but i've never liked using a top handle to drop a stem.

Husky 346 is a good little climbing saw and can handle a bit of ground work too. The husky 357 is my favorite climbing saw though but it's too big for alot of people. The 200t is the best top handle saw but i've never liked using a top handle to drop a stem.

020 and 346 is my favorite combo. I do not like top handle on the ground, and like a rear handle for bigger wood in a tree.

If I were not a climber, I would vote for the 346 as best all around saw. so I have to add a BUT into the vote since I climb more the work on the ground when doing saw work.

If I had to get one saw for in the tree and on the ground I'd go with the Stihl 361. Good power and light enough for the trees. I wouldn't want to be bucking much wood with a 192t or 200t. Besides we aren't supposed to use the top handle saws on the ground anyway.

Definately go with the 200t. Mine was in the shop a few weeks ago and I had to break out the Husky 338. Its a good saw, BUT compared to a 200 its gutless. The MS 361 is my next favorite saw in the world. Its light and has all the power you will need for most stuff. Just a wee bit bulky be using in a tree unless you need to make a big cut.

Kenn:greenchainsaw:

well here's the main issue. i need to fit a climbing saw, 3 strand bull rope and spikes into a 750 budget. good luck to me. I had contemplated the shindaiwa 357 until i found out it cuts a bit slow. the solo 637 was another option. i have owned 2 200t's in the past and love them. however current financial situation and need cannot put one in my hand at the moment. i wish though. thanks for all the advice. keep em coming...i'm reading them all.

tony

I have a 192 and am quite fond of it used it lots. I modded the muffler and that sweetened the deal. Now I do not own a 200t but have used one. While my 192 is not quite what the the 2hunge is it trails by just slightly and when you throw in the fact that it is two bills cheaper I am a happy man. I would say looking at your financial situation sounds like the saw for you just my opinion though.
Jared

I will have to agree with Magnum. The 192 is a good saw, The first top handle that I ever bought was an old 191. Pull the spark arrest out and mod the muffler and it will save ya $200 instead of buying a ms 200. You might be able to find something used on Ebay. Even a used Stihl is better than buying a new Husky. As far as gaffs go even the basic Buckinham set up is gonna set ya back some coin. I wouldnt go with the three strand bull rope how ever. There are some cheap double braids out there that are alot better for just a fraction more of the cost. If you do your research you can find what you need to fit your budget.

Kenn

:monkey:

go with the 192.

with a muffler mod it really wakes up and it weighs almost nothing.don't bother with the solo 637,the specs are BS and it's a heavy pig.

as far as the rope goes however....if i use lets say a stable braid or something of the like I will need a block. Of course with a block comes a sling, a porta wrap and another sling. We're looking at over 400 bills just on the rigging equip. Don't get me wrong i want to have it. The 3 strand however natural crotched will get me through these 5 pine removals and a nice sized oak pruning in the front yard. I'm still up in the air as to saw. If i go rear handle i'm probably going to put a 14-16" bar on whatever it is. I don't think husky makes the 357 anymore so the 361 is looking appetizing. Also as for the 192...i don't care for the plastic dawgs or the ultra micro chain. keep it coming.

tony

Saw choice ?

I used to climb with echo, I got one for you. They really went down hill
( after I threw out of the tree ) just kidding. I went to Dolmar with a 14" bar and I am not disapointed. But, I never bought a MS200 ( too much $ ) I do have an old 020 that has a 1/4" chain on it, I switched the points to elec. ign. also. I use my top handle Dolmar on the ground alot too. ( Dont let Herb touch your climbing saw unless you want to sharpen it again) I bought the Echo w/ a 14" bar in '05 and used it for about 9 months. It is not the best saw but it beats using a hand saw. Let me know.:greenchainsaw:

i actually was on the fence between the new orange cs-341 echo, shindaiwa 357, stihl 192 or solo 637. all those saws don't pass the $330.00 mark. For what they are...they'll do for now. I mean for God sakes; when I worked for Pinellas Tree Srv in Fla all they used were 3400 echos. They cut everything from palm to live oak. So I guess they're not that bad. You may not want to use them for some of the stuff you can throw your 200T at but that's what bigger saws are for anyway.

Tony

If you can find a Dolmar dealer check out the Ps3410TH. Solid top handle at about 1/2 the cost of the ms200t it does not have all the power of the stihl but it will get the job done. For a part time gig like you are starting it will be a good choice. Another one would be the Dolmar 5100s rear handle with 18" bar is a bit heavy for climbing but will work. Stihl makes a great product and I have many of them, but for the cost of the dolmar which is less than stihl, they are holding up well. Maybe get a new silky hand saw at about $60.00 for the limb work and the rear handle for the wood?
Be careful.

Out of the ones you just listed, go with the 192, yank the spark arrestor, do a quick down n dirty muffler mod and it will be just fine. If the 200 is out of the budget, that's the next best option.

Just my .02

:givebeer:

Go with the Husky 346 NE - it is rear handle, but light enough to climb with and will serve both duties well for you for now.

Just my 2 cents...

Welcome back!

Latest posts

Back