If you had to buy a chainsaw from Amazon...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HP-42

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need a chainsaw. For complicated reasons, I need to order it from Amazon.com - preferably today. Soooo, my choices are limited.

My best options are probably:

Makita DCS510
Makita DCS460
Husqvarna 460
Husqvarna 450

I am leaning toward the Husqvarna 450. What do you think?

I want a Husqvarna 346XP, but those aren't sold online.

They carry Husqvarna, Makita, Tanaka, and the usual Poulan crap with a few Redmax, Hitachi, etc mixed in.

This will be my first new chainsaw after years of using borrowed Jonsereds and Poulans.

I will be cutting mostly firewood, also some land clearing. Firewood trees will probably max out at 14" - 16" diameter and be mostly oak.

I think you can buy Jonsered products on line at some places...

Jonsered Chainsaw Chainsaws Chain Saws mebbe...

Right, but not from Amazon.

My point about the 346XP not being sold online is that, by logical extension, it isn't sold by Amazon. :msp_sad:

My main concerns about the 450 and 460 are too much plastic and not enough magnesium.

Conversely, my concerns about the Makitas (Dolmars) are too much aluminum and not enough magnesium.

My biggest concern about the Husqvarna 450 and 460 is the possibility that there is too much plastic and not enough magnesium.

My biggest concern about the Makitas (Dolmars) is the possibility that there is too much aluminum and not enough magnesium.

If your limited to only online purchase, have you considered ebay? Some dealers sell brand new in box saws there for good prices.

I need a chainsaw. For complicated reasons, I need to order it from Amazon.com - preferably today. Soooo, my choices are limited.

My best options are probably:

Makita DCS510
Makita DCS460
Husqvarna 460
Husqvarna 450

I am leaning toward the Husqvarna 450. What do you think?

I want a Husqvarna 346XP, but those aren't sold online.

They carry Husqvarna, Makita, Tanaka, and the usual Poulan crap with a few Redmax, Hitachi, etc mixed in.

This will be my first new chainsaw after years of using borrowed Jonsereds and Poulans.

I will be cutting mostly firewood, also some land clearing. Firewood trees will probably max out at 14" - 16" diameter and be mostly oak.

Best one out of the choices you listed.....

Go for the Poulan crap

Ha, I wish I could make myself do that.

My dad worked for Emerson Electric for 25 years. Emerson and Poulan were part of the same conglomerate. Because of that, we owned only Poulan chainsaws for many years. My memory of them is not pleasant. (I have particularly unhappy memories of trying to keep the chain tensioned on some Poulan dog during the 80's.)

amazon only?????? thats weird.

For sake of argument, assume:

1. That you have $500 in Amazon gift cards to burn.
2. That you need a saw by Thursday, so it has to qualify for Amazon Prime shipping.

I need to order in the 20 minutes to qualify for free two day delivery. Or, I can wait until tomorrow and pay $3.95 for overnight delivery.

Of the saws you have written down I myself would choose the Makita DCS510. I cant beleave no one has answered your original question so I will. I feel the husky are not as desirable because they are a clam shell design and are heavier for the power they produce. The Makita is a good saw made by dolmar. What I am not sure of is wheather or not these makitas are clam shell design or not.

Back