If you had to pick one, 440 or 046?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundhead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is kinda a silly question but I have been thinking about it and wanted other opinions. I have a great old 046 that runs fine with a 25"bar. I wanted to use it for small milling. I recently acquired a newer ms 440. since they are both pretty similar in specs (the 046 has about 7 more cc), and I don't really need two saws in this range, which would you sell? the newer 440 that may fetch more $ or the bigger and older 046 that works fine?

I have both 044 25" and 460 28". I love both the 460 gets less use but do take out bigger tree with it now and then. I could never sell them.

I would keep both. I own 2 046 and 1 044. Personally I prefer the 046. In your case, it depends what is worth more to you, having a newer saw or a little more money. I feel the 046 pulls a bigger bar a little better than the 044. If your only pulling a 25 or less you won't see much difference. I really don't notice much of a weight difference between the two.

Put them both in a box and send to your favorite saw modder. Have him take the 046 top end and put it on the 440 and port it. Put an aftermarket BB kit on the 046 and it will sell fast on eBay. Now you have a 440 with more power than either, and a spare 50mm OEM top end in reserve.

On one hand, I'd keep the 440 because it's newer and has less hours on it, weighs less, and I don't need the extra hp of the 046. But what I say and do are two different things LOL. Found a 440 on CL earlier this year, then found another with low hours at a price I couldn't pass up and sold a guitar to make my wife happy. :smile2: Local dealer replaced some parts and rebuilt the carbs, and they run like new now. So of course I'm keeping both and rotate them on different days.

Maybe my best advice would be if you're on the fence about selling one or the other, don't sell either until there's an obvious and compelling reason to do so.

Maybe my best advice would be if you're on the fence about selling one or the other, don't sell either until there's an obvious and compelling reason to do so.

That's great advice. Considering the 2 are so similar, wait till one separates itself from the other somehow.

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Since Saw Dr had such a good suggestion, I am willing to take his advice. However, I will need support. This will begin the official process of donating to this fund to see how everything turns out. Who's in? Not sure what it would cost to ship two saws and have one ported but I am guessing 3 bills. Sounds like a good plan. All I need to do is sell these half-finished saws, etc. anyone want a box of 031, TS350 parts, echo 360t parts, efco weedeater parts, Husqvarna BT 165 parts, 029 super parts, 039 parts, and much more. Snellerized Saws is close enough I can run the idea by him and see what he thinks. Or I can just keep both which makes me feel real manly. or I can sell one and take my family somewhere. all good advice you sent

I have both, the 046 will def pull better than than the 440 in the bigger stuff, side by side the 046 will keep chugging. I also believe in my head the 044 046 is a better saw than the 440-460, ive just had better luck with them, just my .02c

On one hand, I'd keep the 440 because it's newer and has less hours on it, weighs less, and I don't need the extra hp of the 046. But what I say and do are two different things LOL. Found a 440 on CL earlier this year, then found another with low hours at a price I couldn't pass up and sold a guitar to make my wife happy. :smile2: Local dealer replaced some parts and rebuilt the carbs, and they run like new now. So of course I'm keeping both and rotate them on different days.

was your guitar playing that bad?

I'd sell the 440 no worries. You might get more money (but 046 should be worth more in same condition), 460 has only just been replaced so parts for the 046 will be around longer, 046 is more powerful for only a little more weight. And besides, it's your old faithful saw you couldn't sell it! If you're careful selling it you'll get a good price, then if you feel emasculated only having one 70cc wait and find a deal on a used 80-90cc saw...

Why hasn't anyone suggested this??

440/460 Hybrid ported by one of the many good builders on this forum.

Latest posts

Back