If you only had $20k to spend on a grinder...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain2morrow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If you had $20,000 to start a small stump grinder business, what equipment would you buy?

Your client base is primarily suburban residences, many of them gated. Some hills, some flat land - mostly small to medium size stumps. You are not taking down the trees - just grinding the stumps.

You have used various brands of rented equipment (mostly junk), but have no brand loyalty. All the major brands have decent local dealer support or there are independent repair shops available to you.

This would potentially represent up to 50% of your income - the other 50% would come from related seasonal lawn maintenance work.

You need a grinder, good chain saw and related gear, and a trailer to haul it to sites. You already have a good full-size pickup to use.

Let's start with just the grinder purchase - what models would be on your short list to give SERIOUS consideration? What model would be the best fit for this situation?

definately go with a mid size grinder either a vermeer or carlton, not sure of any reports on the new bandit grinders. I started with a 1625 rayco which served its purpose for the time then moved up to sc352 which is about twice as effecient as the other. one thing i try to think when im buying equipment is will i out grow this machine in 6 months or so. if you can go bigger than do it. you"ll always use and you won"t have any regrets. The only choice you have to make is your mfg. if you can try and demo acouble of mchines. good luck, you can definately make some coin stumping only.

I would get a new or slightly used Carlton SP4012 with the Lombardini diesel. New I think they go for $14-16K. Then for the saw I would get a Stihl 440 and for the trailer maybe inclosed probobly not like a 6x12 or 7x14.

BTW Stay FAR AWAY from VERMEER they are known to tip easy, be under powered and overall just not a good machine.

No matter which machine you are looking at, Vermeer, Carlton or Rayco Etc. pay attention to the available torque provided by the engine. Horsepower does not mean much on a stump grinder.
For example the 25 Horsepower Kohler that came on my Vermeer SC252 provides about 40 foot pounds of torque. The 28 Horsepower Lombardini 8LD-740-2 Diesel I replaced it with provides 65 foot pounds of torque. The new Briggs & Stratton Engines 31 to 35 Horsepower are providing Torque in the low to mid 50 foot pound range.
When the cutting gets tough the torque is what keeps the cutting wheel up to speed not the horsepower. The additional torque has at least doubled the cutting speed of my grinder. This makes for a small grinder that grinds like a big grinder.
I demoed the SC352 a while back and its a nice grinder but far to bulky to get in and out of the small back yards in southern California. The Rayco RG50 has the same problem.

What ever you buy make sure you get a Demo and run them before making your purchase decission.

Definately start with a hydraulic controlled portable - you mentioned residential stumps and just getting started. A good portable will do all the stumps and let you get into the tight places.

I've got a 25HP Kohler and the new Vanguards will smoke it! If I was buying new I would take a look at that engine!!!!

Once your business grows, keep the small machine you've already bought and go to a large self propelled or track. Then you'll have both bases covered.

Whatever you do - STAY IN NJ!!!!!:cheers: :cheers:

If I were you I would have a look at the Alpine Magnum as a smaller machine with BIG results, I only run this in my business, and I am very busy. I can go through ANY gate and gind in any weather or place, on any size stump. Dont let anyone sway you, look for the best options for your area. I cand spend all my time grinding stumps that other guys just cant get to. Plus new tree take downs on top of that. Dont need a trailer and machine is no more maintenance than a saw.

One brand new vermeer 252,simply the best for residential work ,and there great for 600 hours,I know I had one!!,and add a husky 385!!

Plyscamp said:
. The 28 Horsepower Lombardini 8LD-740-2 Diesel I replaced it with provides 65 foot pounds of torque. .

which grinder is this? both bandit and carlton offer lambardini I believe?

ROLLACOSTA said:
One brand new vermeer 252,simply the best for residential work ,and there great for 600 hours,I know I had one!!,and add a husky 385!!

The 252 moves like a constipated turtle!!! :deadhorse: :deadhorse: I'll be done grinding before its off the trailer!!! Are you the Digg'in Dutchmen??

Hey Plyscamp

You put the diesel on the 252? What modifications did you have to do if any? Does it make the machine any bigger or can it still get in the same as the Kohler? How about the weight difference and does that cause any unforseen problems? Do you have any pictures?

I have had suggestions to look at the Vermeer 252, Carlton 4012, and Rayco 1625 & 1631. Anyone compared these particular machines? Anyone have recent prices for these machines?

Bigstumps said:
The 252 moves like a constipated turtle!!! :deadhorse: :deadhorse: I'll be done grinding before its off the trailer!!! Are you the Digg'in Dutchmen??

Why the need to be in such a rush?? during the 5 years I owned my 252 it was reliable,it cut well,it could tackle big and smal stumps,it could get through tight garden gates.And unlike the guys who used a manual swing machine I came home relatively energetic,and shoulders in one peice..

Briggs and stratton engines please!!

One other thing theres no way in hell I would buy a second hand stump 'gas' grinder!!

Get a vermeer 252 they are the best,by far...................:clap:

252s are POS they tip easy, are slow, and are way under powered, plus don't have the best componants.
Carlton 4012 or Rayco is yor best bet Vermeer and Brush Bandit don't even come close to the performance of those two.

ROLLACOSTA said:
Briggs and stratton engines please!!

I know Briggs & Stratton does build some junk - small cheap engines for small cheap mowers - heck you can buy a complete mower at Wal - Mart for $145.00!!

The Vanguards are Briggs/Daihatsu (sic) made in Japan. They are smooth, quiet and powerful. Demo one!!

jazak said:
252s are POS they tip easy, are slow, and are way under powered, plus don't have the best componants.
Carlton 4012 or Rayco is yor best bet Vermeer and Brush Bandit don't even come close to the performance of those two.
the Vermeer 352 is the best and I believe the most powerful portable in it's price range. atleast it was when I bought them a few years back. I agree with you on the 252's (i had one for about a year)....way too slow

Rolla,
there is a need to be in a rush. instead of the crew of 4 guys watching you grind the stumps. by the time they are done raking up.... the stump is out. then its time for them to fill in the hole(s).

Carlton and Rayco do make some nice machine, but are more $$ than the 352 in similar power sizes

Back