If you only had $20k to spend on a grinder...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy will not get his own stump grinder.We have been working together for 15 years on landscape maint. projects. He sees the stump grinding as a sideline that he has no interest in. To him, it has always been a necessary evil, that takes time away from his trimming and removal business. He is also refering some smaller tree service companies to me. They are guys who he considers friendly competitors. Yes, others could buy machines and compete against me, but, that does not worry me. I have always been competitive in my lawn maint. business, and done well by offering reliable, high quality service. I see no reason why I can not succeed by doing the same with my grinding business.

Mowingman said:
I have averaged the $800.00/week since I started this 12 weeks ago..

What machine are you using??? I didn't realize you were already grinding, I assumed (incorrectly) this was a startup!

It always helps to have someone feeding you stumps. I have a lot of local guys that use me. As long as you are prompt and do a good job - you'll keep the business. These guys have other headaches to worry about and other places to spend their money - chippers, trucks, cranes, saws. I also give my guys somes presents from time to time, take them out some cold drinks when I arrive - doesn't hurt to have the whole crew on your side!!!

If you're already makine good money stay with the machine you have for a while till you know exactly what you need.

I just started my stump grinding business right at the end of April. So, it is a new startup, at least it was a couple of months ago. I am starting out with the Rayco 1625A with a 25hp engine.
You are exactly right about their other "headaches to worry about". That is why my friend wanted out of the stump grinding end of things.
I plan to stick with my little Rayco for a year or two. If all goes well, I might get a machine with more horsepower. I believe my biggest market is going to be doing stumps in gated yards and tight locations, so a small, narrow machine is a must. But, as everyone knows, more horsepower is always nice.

I have a SC 505 for sale. It's 50 hp and on tracks, best grinder I have ever seen.

I live in Vancouver CND but with the USA Dollar it my still be a good deal.

I want $25,000.CND for it and it comes with a trailer.

Carlton 4012

Anyone heard if there are any problems with the deisel motor on the carlton 4012. I talked to the dealer who stated they are very bad so buy the 35 horse Briggs vanguard instead.

buying equipment free of liens

I am looking to purchase a second stump grinder. i would really like to purchase used but i fear purchasing from an individual and later finding out there is a lien on the equipment. Seems to me your really depending on the sellers honesty. Wondering if there is a way of running the equipment through some data base to check for liens or encumbrances. Its crazy that you can buy $100 car and get a clear title or buy a $50k piece of equipment and pray its free and clear. Anybody out there have any ideas?...Thanks,Regan

Sand Dollar said:
Anyone heard if there are any problems with the deisel motor on the carlton 4012. I talked to the dealer who stated they are very bad so buy the 35 horse Briggs vanguard instead.

Not heard anything bad about the Lombardini over here

a_lopa said:
leave the 20k in the bank!!!

I'm starting to think you are right!! It seems that grinding only brings $2 per inch around here. Can you really make a living at that rate??? After fuel. repairs, insurance, etc. will there be much leftover?

Not sure grinding is a good idea after all!

Somebody convince me to give it a try!!!

2004 vemeer sc352 : 19,900 + 6% nj sales tax 1,194 = $ 21,094

2004 rayco rg 50 $29,000 out of state quote, no sales tax...

i went with the 352,,$ 8,000 ,,,, is a lot of stumps!!!!

2004 carmate 6x12 enclosed tandem axle trailer with ramp door: $3,000

brake controler,, tie downs,,,other stuff i got from the trailer place,,,plus sales tax: $500

tools, supplies,, rakes ,,shovels ,,chain saw ( 361 sthil) ,, fuel cans,, spare teeth: ,,,,,,,$ 2000

redmax ebz 8000 blower: $ 500

a year of 1 million dollars of liability : $2500

so, for under $30,000,,, i have a self contained,, go any where,, do any thing,, set up.....thats out of the weather,, and i can lock up...

machine is on a 5 year lease with a 100 buy out,,, every thing else is paid for...

between the lease and insurance,, its 700 per month...

i bill $ 80 per hour flat,, no clean up!! the only thing i do is blow off driveways,, side walks... just did a stump next to a tennis court,,, blew that off,, of course...

the only thing i would change with my set up is,,, 1: i need a bigger saw ( will probably get a sthil 460 next week) 2: THIS IS THE BIG ONE ,,,,,FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!

the 2006 vemeer 352 is availible with 4wd,, as an option, for a few more bucks....4wd IMO is a must have !!

other than the fwd,, i make out pretty well with my setup !!!

i did a polychain today after hitting a star picket i:angry2: nbedeed in a stump,made a mess of the teeth.

your working way to CHEAP!

juststumps said:
2004 vemeer sc352 : 19,900 + 6% nj sales tax 1,194 = $ 21,094

2004 rayco rg 50 $29,000 out of state quote, no sales tax...

i went with the 352,,$ 8,000 ,,,, is a lot of stumps!!!!

2004 carmate 6x12 enclosed tandem axle trailer with ramp door: $3,000

brake controler,, tie downs,,,other stuff i got from the trailer place,,,plus sales tax: $500

tools, supplies,, rakes ,,shovels ,,chain saw ( 361 sthil) ,, fuel cans,, spare teeth: ,,,,,,,$ 2000

redmax ebz 8000 blower: $ 500

a year of 1 million dollars of liability : $2500

so, for under $30,000,,, i have a self contained,, go any where,, do any thing,, set up.....thats out of the weather,, and i can lock up...

machine is on a 5 year lease with a 100 buy out,,, every thing else is paid for...

between the lease and insurance,, its 700 per month...

i bill $ 80 per hour flat,, no clean up!! the only thing i do is blow off driveways,, side walks... just did a stump next to a tennis court,,, blew that off,, of course...

the only thing i would change with my set up is,,, 1: i need a bigger saw ( will probably get a sthil 460 next week) 2: THIS IS THE BIG ONE ,,,,,FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!

the 2006 vemeer 352 is availible with 4wd,, as an option, for a few more bucks....4wd IMO is a must have !!

other than the fwd,, i make out pretty well with my setup !!!

Man your selling your work way to cheap. you should bid by the job not the hour. with the 352 you should be able to average at least $150 per run hour. remember some jobs only take 15 min. so what is that $20? also quote a min. of at least $75 to haul your equip. out for the smallest job.
Also one thing your forgetting is the dedicated truck to haul all this around. Add another $5 to40k to your equipment total. good luck.

howel07264 said:
Man your selling your work way to cheap. you should bid by the job not the hour. with the 352 you should be able to average at least $150 per run hour. remember some jobs only take 15 min. so what is that $20? also quote a min. of at least $75 to haul your equip. out for the smallest job.
Also one thing your forgetting is the dedicated truck to haul all this around. Add another $5 to40k to your equipment total. good luck.

half hour minimum,,,40 bucks,,, i do a lot of land clearing,,, no estimates,,, no running around....i sub mostly,, all local....why get greedy...grind and go...i hit home owners a little different,,,, just did a job,,,10 hrs x $80 = $800,,,
parked the truck,, unloaded the machine,,, made $800 on one job,,, life is good....

juststumps said:
half hour minimum,,,40 bucks,,, i do a lot of land clearing,,, no estimates,,, no running around....i sub mostly,, all local....why get greedy...grind and go...i hit home owners a little different,,,, just did a job,,,10 hrs x $80 = $800,,,
parked the truck,, unloaded the machine,,, made $800 on one job,,, life is good....

Trying to gross at least $150 per run hour is not being greedy...trust me. You might have grossed $800 for 10 hours work but what matters is what you net! At the rates your charging youll be lucky to net 20% of what you gross after all expences..Iive been doing this for a long time and what matters is making a fair return on your investment,time,labor,expertise and liability. HAD YOU RATHER WORK TWICE AS MUCH FOR HALF THE PRICE OR HALF AS MUCH FOR TWICE THE PRICE? I know what i choose. Not trying to flame you just offering advice...good luck....regan

An $800 stump jump job should not take you all day, nor 10hrs. These are 20k+ machines. High repair bills. fuel is expensive(truck and grinder) An $800 stump job should take a max of 3hrs of steady grinding.

If you ever figure out how grind enough stumps to pay for a new grinder and recover the depreciation too along with the expenses, please send me your method.

got offered a 1660 the other day 500hrs at under half retail $$$.no way would the machine have paid in depresiation.the catch 22 is subbing the stumps and watch $$$ go out the door.

charge enough

buff said:
If you ever figure out how grind enough stumps to pay for a new grinder and recover the depreciation too along with the expenses, please send me your method.

Buff, it can be done but you have to charge enough to make it work. Also you need to spend on advertising to consumers. I also limit the work i do as a sub to tree services and loggers. They want the job done "right now" to collect on a job and dont want to pay enough to make it worthwhile. When i first started i solicited that work, now i dont have to fool with sub work.I have a high production carlton 4400-4 self propelled. All large clearing jobs i sub out for 15% to a friend with a high horsepower tow behind. i let him wear out his equipment. i do no door knocking soliciting work. i simply spend enough on advertising to take the good jobs and sub out what i dont want to do. Also you must be in a large metro area to make any money. From what i hear if you work in a rural area no one will pay enough to make a living. One things for sure your not going to get rich grinding stumps.....Regan

There are many cost to grinding stumps. Some are as follows:

1. Cost of grinder
2. Depreciation of grinder
3. Parts and service of grinder
4. A vehicle to tow the grinder
5. Phone book and other advertising for grinding
6. Cell phone for ginding
7. Fuel cost for vehicle and grinder
8. Income tax

When all cost are considered, how much do you really make? Simply saying that you "charge enough" to cover all of the cost is not enough. You have to get people to agree to pay. You also have to consider the cyclical nature of the business. If you sub out jobs, you must consider that others will sub out to you. They will also want their 15% and more too. I have had many tell me how much they charge. But none have yet to tell me how much profit per year they make by stump grinding. If anyone tells me there is a living in this or even good part time money I say that they are not counting all of their cost.

Its a tricky one, i think that you price at what you need and what the customer will tolerate...i am a new company, so i will charge so that i get the job and people will pass the word on. If i was out all day everyday and turning work down then my rate will go up....that is not to say that i will price it cheap because i know its worth and mine.

Pricing is a difficult one and one where folk in an area should ideally talk to each other (if they can manage that) and make sure that they are all in the same ball park area for pricing.....its when folk slash prices to get work that it can cock the job up.....but again if people trust you and know you are good at the job and leave the site looking good then they will use you from choice....

Latest posts

Back